• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

B1G 3-5-5 Scheduling Model

Hooked on Huskers

I'm old as a rock
15 Year Member
Last edited:

From my understanding there would still be the CCG. The article talks about better conference championship game matchups. It is usually the top two teams at the end of the regular season. I personally don't like that as one of your two best teams will get another loss. And they may have already played each other. And I know they would like to keep open the option of getting more than one team into the playoffs, especially if they expand. I actually like the divisions. It gives teams an interim goal to strive for - division champs.

Last edited:
This article .....

Remember Legends and Leaders?

Legends
  • Huskers
  • Gophers
  • Hawkeyes
  • Spartans
  • Wildcats
  • Wolverines
Leaders
  • Badgers
  • Boilermakers
  • Buckeyes
  • Hoosiers
  • Illini
  • Nittany Lions
2012 CCG Link.... Badgers 70 Huskers 30 o_O.

Last edited:

From my understanding there would still be the CCG. The article talks about better conference championship game matchups. It is usually the top two teams at the end of the regular season. I personally don't like that as one of your two best teams will get another loss. And they may have already played each other. And I know they would like to keep open the option of getting more than one team into the playoffs, especially if they expand. I actually like the divisions. It gives teams an interim goal to strive for - division champs.

I think the concern is -- if you stick with the current divisions for the conference championship game, you give a team that may be no better than the 3rd or 4th in the conference an opportunity to win the conference crown -- which in turn could bump the leading playoff contender out of the mix.

So by simply going with the best two -- regardless of divisions -- the Big Ten is guaranteed one of the two best teams from the regular season, which should almost always be two top ten teams. Even if the #1 team loses, it's not as bad of a predicament as the #1 team losing to a #3 or #4 best team in the conference.

Personally, I don't care what the Big Ten decides. I only hope Nebraska someday gets back to the point where this discussion truly concerns us.

This article .....

Legends
  • Huskers
  • Gophers
  • Hawkeyes
  • Spartans
  • Wildcats
  • Wolverines
Leaders
  • Badgers
  • Boilermakers
  • Buckeyes
  • Hoosiers
  • Illini
  • Nittany Lions
2012 CCG Link.... Badgers 70 Huskers 30 o_O.
With the new alignment, the drubbing never happens.

Wisconsin, having lost to us doesn't make the CCG and instead Michigan, who is in the other division does. It's a team we beat 23-9 and held to under 200 yards of offense.

I think the concern is -- if you stick with the current divisions for the conference championship game, you give a team that may be no better than the 3rd or 4th in the conference an opportunity to win the conference crown -- which in turn could bump the leading playoff contender out of the mix.

So by simply going with the best two -- regardless of divisions -- the Big Ten is guaranteed one of the two best teams from the regular season, which should almost always be two top ten teams. Even if the #1 team loses, it's not as bad of a predicament as the #1 team losing to a #3 or #4 best team in the conference.

Personally, I don't care what the Big Ten decides. I only hope Nebraska someday gets back to the point where this discussion truly concerns us.
What I don't like is it opens up even more to schedule advantages. With divisions, you can get a H2H against a team, so even if your crossovers are at a disadvantage, the losing team needs a 2L advantage to make it back up. With the 3-3-5, a team can get a schedule advantage and if there is no H2H, it can't be made back up.

Bye-bye Lucas Oil Stadium CCG game?

I prefer Minnesota instead of NW.
As for preferring Minnesota to Northwestern, I would too except for Chicago. Love going there. Minneapolis is cool but pales in comparison. Getting a Chicago trip every other year alone justifies the Big Ten move.

Last edited:

I think I like the divisions better, but it seems as though the cross over games are not rationally scripted year to year to year. There should be some way to play each team in the other division once before you play any one team in that divison twice and so on rotating indefinetly.

NU should have Minn as it’s 3rd scheduled team but NW doesn’t have any natural rivals.

WI and Iowa make out getting each other, NU and Minnesota.
tOSU gets off lightly - Michigan, Illinois and Purdue. Why wouldn’t they have Indiana?

As for preferring Minnesota to Northwestern, I would too except for Chicago. Love going there. Minneapolis is cool but pales in comparison. Getting a Chicago trip every other year alone justifies the Big Ten move.
Well Minneapolis trip is shorter distance than Windy City. 100 miles difference

Anyway, don't like NW's nickname, colors and Willie the Wildcat mascot (Hint: KSU) ;)

You mean like the 7 loss Giants beating the undefeated Patriots? Yeah, nonsense. Win what you’re supposed to, or you don’t deserve it anyway!

I sort of feel if the #1 team loses to the 3 or 4# then they really aren't #1? Much of those conference rankings really have to do with a teams schedule versus playing the best teams in the BIG. IA had a ridiculously easy schedule in 2015 and yes made the best of it. I didn't believe they were even close to being the 2nd best team in the conference but managed to avoid almost all the better teams. Of course they got de-pants by Sanford 45-16 in the Rose Bowl while MSU got crushed in the playoffs 38-0 by Bama.

If the #1 team can't beat the next closest BIG team they aren't really #1 especially when it happens in the CCG. They should be at their best at that time of year imo. I like having the divisions the way they are presently structured. Of course the is East stronger because of OSU, MI and PSU on average. Bottom line I'd also like the Huskers to get back to at least an honest discussion about division leaders. We sure have a long ways to go and hope it starts this season.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back