• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

B1G 2018 All conference/Div 1 All Americans & their Recruiting Star ranking

Bean

Grey Shirt
10 Year Member
I thought it would be interesting to see what the 247 Composite Recruiting rankings were for all the B1G Conference picks so compiled this:
B1G All Conf Defense.png

B1G All Conf Offense.png

66 All B1G:

WALK ONS: 2 ...... ~10% were Walk On and/or 2 Stars
2 STARS: 5
3 STARS: 32 ..........~48% were 3 STARS
4 STARS: 21 ......... ~32% were 4 STARS
5 STARS: 6 ..........~9% were 5 STARS
~41% were 4-5 Stars

This doesn't take into consideration the total number 3,4, 5 star recruits that were signed and didn't make it to the All Conference selection, [or dropped out or transferred, etc]. It does show the percentage of players that made it as compared to their 247 Composite recruiting ranking.

B1G teams with the most All Conference picks and their 247 ranking:

WISKY: Offense: 5 - 3 Stars
........ Defense: 1 - 3 Star and 2 - 2 stars

OSU: Offense: 5 - 4 Stars
....... Defense: 1 - 5 Star, 1 - 4 Star

Mich: Offense: One - 5 Star, four - 4 Stars, two - 3 Star
....... Defense: One - 5 Star, One - 4 Stars, Three - 3 stars

PSU: Offense: One - 5 Star, One - 4 Star, One - 3 Star
....... Defense: One - 4 Star, One - 3 Star

Iowa: Offense: Three - 3 Stars, One - 2 Star
...... Defense: One - 5 Star, Two - 3 Stars

MSU: Offense: Zero
...... Defense : Three - 4 Stars, One - 3 Star, One Walk on

Almost all the players shown in this site were selected all conference:
https://247sports.com/ContentGaller...-Ohio-States-Nick-Bosa-118998293/#118998293_1

What I haven't done yet is compared the total number of 3, 4, and 5 star recruits for each Team to see what percentage of them made B1G all Conference.

That would be next using this site:
https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=Big-Ten

Last edited:
If PSU and Michigan would of had losing records like Nebraska, then IMO, AMart would of been 2nd team all B1G.....If you took the names away and just showed the stats, AMart's stats beats both. But, again, JMO.

edit: Thanks for putting this together, Bean!

Last edited:

Eleven of our 20 - four star recruits/athletes [2015-18] are no longer members of the team.

The most 4 stars we have signed was 9 in 2011. According to 247, our last 5 star recruit was in 2005, Marlon Lucky.
https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Season/2018-Football/Commits/
Year = 4 star recruits/Record/HC
2019 = 7 ................0 - 0.....Scott Frost
2018 = 6 --------------- 4 - 8.... Scott Frost [50 new players] 4 on scholarship left [McGriff, Canty, Watts, Jackson]
2017 = 5 --------------- 4 - 8.... Riley.....four - 4 stars have left the team! [Lindsey, Roberts, Gebbia, Johnson]
2016 = 5 --------------- 9 - 4.... Riley.....one - 4 star has left team [Obrien]
2015 = 4 --------------- 6 - 7.... Riley.....two - 4 Stars has left team [Stevenson, Barnett]
2014 = 3 --------------- 9 - 4.... Bo.......Two - 4 stars graduate [Farmer, Foster] Gates already gone.
2013 = 7 --------------- 9 - 4.... Bo
2012 = 8 -------------- 10 - 4.... Bo
2011 = 9 ------- --------9 - 4.... Bo
2010 = 5 -------------- 10 - 4 ....Bo
2009 = 4 -------------- 10 - 4.... Bo
2008 = 3 --------------- 9 - 4.... Bo
2007 = 6 ------- --------5 - 7.... Callahan
2006 = 5 --------------- 9 - 5.... Callahan
2005 = 7 + one 5 Star --- 8 - 4 Callahan (#8 ranked recruiting class) [Suh, Lucky]
2004 = 2 --------------- 5 - 6.... Callahan
2003 = 2 ---------------10 - 3... Solich
2002 = 2 ---------------- 7 - 7... Solich

Last edited:
@Bean -- thanks for sharing all on thread!

What about Baker Steinkuhler? Thought he was a 5-star OL recruit who flipped over to defense during his time at NU.

What about Baker Steinkuhler? Thought he was a 5-star OL recruit who flipped over to defense during his time at NU.[/QUOTE]

Steinkuhler was a Rivals 5*, Aaron Green was a 5* at the time of his verbal commitment. And before someone says something, Steinkuhler made the switch to defense on his own before getting to Nebraska. He played DL in the army all american game

Seven of our 20 - four star recruits/athletes [2015-18] are no longer members of the team.

The most 4 stars we have signed was 9 in 2011. According to 247, our last 5 star recruit was in 2005, Marlon Lucky.
https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Season/2018-Football/Commits/
Year = 4 star recruits/Record/HC
2019 = 5 So Far
2018 = 6 --------------- 4 - 8.... Scott Frost [50 new players]
2017 = 5 --------------- 4 - 8.... Riley.....four - 4 stars have left the team! [Lindsey, Roberts, Gebbia, Johnson]
2016 = 5 --------------- 9 - 4.... Riley.....one - 4 star has left team [Obrien]
2015 = 4 --------------- 6 - 7.... Riley.....one - 4 Star has left team [Stevenson]
2014 = 3 --------------- 9 - 4.... Bo.......Two - 4 stars graduate [Farmer, Foster] Gates already gone.
2013 = 7 --------------- 9 - 4.... Bo
2012 = 8 -------------- 10 - 4.... Bo
2011 = 9 ------- --------9 - 4.... Bo
2010 = 5 -------------- 10 - 4 ....Bo
2009 = 4 -------------- 10 - 4.... Bo
2008 = 3 --------------- 9 - 4.... Bo
2007 = 6 ------- --------5 - 7.... Callahan
2006 = 5 --------------- 9 - 5.... Callahan
2005 = 7 + one 5 Star --- 8 - 4 Callahan (#8 ranked recruiting class) [Suh, Lucky]
2004 = 2 --------------- 5 - 6.... Callahan
2003 = 2 ---------------10 - 3... Solich
2002 = 2 ---------------- 7 - 7... Solich

247 Is obviously not very accurate on their rankings. I've heard (read) it many times that Bo couldn't and didn't recruit well.

247 Is obviously not very accurate on their rankings. I've heard (read) it many times that Bo couldn't and didn't recruit well.

I think there is always some room for error with each site. Even @N2FL has probably had some moments where someone didn't pan out that was ranked highly or a lowly 2/3 star that excelled. With so many factors involved, it's tough to be perfect in a prediction of the future (injuries, personal life, drive, and more factors can all make an impact on a career).

I still don't believe Bo was a great recruiter, but I also think the hype behind Riley's staffs recruiting prowess was a bit exaggerated. Their average class rankings (and avg player rankings) weren't that dissimilar, and fairly mediocre (I consider an average ranking of 25-30 pretty mediocre). I think so far (asterisk because of one year), Frost's staff has shown some promise, given that he had less than 2 months pretty impressive, and surpassed both Bo's and Riley's average class ranking. This class looks to be top 25 again, perhaps top 20 if they can close on a few more highly ranked kids (Ty Robinson, Wandale Robinson, Lloyd Summerall, Noa Pola Gates and Enokk Vimahi - some realistic - some wishful thinking). I think if they can live in the 10-20 range averaging a recruiting class rank of roughly 15th over rolling 5 year periods, then I would classify this staff as above average/great. Until then, I think it's a to-be-determined with some promise.

Just my 2 cents

I think there is always some room for error with each site. Even @N2FL has probably had some moments where someone didn't pan out that was ranked highly or a lowly 2/3 star that excelled. With so many factors involved, it's tough to be perfect in a prediction of the future (injuries, personal life, drive, and more factors can all make an impact on a career).

I still don't believe Bo was a great recruiter, but I also think the hype behind Riley's staffs recruiting prowess was a bit exaggerated. Their average class rankings (and avg player rankings) weren't that dissimilar, and fairly mediocre (I consider an average ranking of 25-30 pretty mediocre). I think so far (asterisk because of one year), Frost's staff has shown some promise, given that he had less than 2 months pretty impressive, and surpassed both Bo's and Riley's average class ranking. This class looks to be top 25 again, perhaps top 20 if they can close on a few more highly ranked kids (Ty Robinson, Wandale Robinson, Lloyd Summerall, Noa Pola Gates and Enokk Vimahi - some realistic - some wishful thinking). I think if they can live in the 10-20 range averaging a recruiting class rank of roughly 15th over rolling 5 year periods, then I would classify this staff as above average/great. Until then, I think it's a to-be-determined with some promise.

Just my 2 cents
Let me also reiterate it is also about how many stick around. Many of Bo's and almost all of Riley's left. So what is the point?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back