• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Avante Dickerson.Decommits From MN;

I was told by a very reliable source that happens to be a lifelong NU fan, that AD committed to Minn because "he" perceived that their culture is far superior to Nebraska. When I first heard that, I was taken aback and was in denial. He also said that he was very confident that AD would not flip to NU. AD felt he could get to the NFL better with MInn.

For the record, I don't like Fleck either, but this source is pretty knowledgeable and I respect his opinion. Our culture has a long ways to go are objectively Minnesota's is better than ours "right now". Hopefully that will change. Keep in mind that Fleck didn't inherit a rose garden either and it pains me to admit that Fleck has done a better job to this date than Frost. No one hopes this changes anymore than I do.

Like several people have said, AD will not make or break our program, but it is concerning. I'm hoping our players are getting in good workouts on their own and "if" we have a season we start winning. I'd really take 6 wins right now, with being competitive in most games (including Minn). I remember back when we had a great culture, Nebraska kids playing hard, training hard, being great teammates, leading by example, etc. It may take longer than all of would like.
He really likes what Fleck is doing and the trajectory. It is a bit too much for me personally, but I guess when you buy into it, that's how you see the results he is seeing. I still think Minnesota takes a step back in the next year or two, but as of right now, they are out-performing us.

Fleck took over a 9 win team and quickly took them to 5 win team, then 7 wins. He win 11 games last year but should have lost the first 3 games. He has had an easier schedule so he’s not as great as people make out to be.
Minnesota had their most wins since 1904 this past season (keep in mind they have more national titles than Nebraska). He took over for a way better situation than Frost, but sometimes perception is reality I suppose. It's hard to think Nebraska has the edge on anything against Minnesota right now after the 2019 season if you look at it objectively.

I lived in the Twin Cities for 4 years. Fleck is a, "flash in the pan!" Once Minny has a mediocre or poor season, half of the fans won't show up. They are like KS fans (not, K-State). Generally, Minniesotans would rather play hockey or skol than football! The kids and fans at schools who have hockey, are much more interested in hockey than football. Every kid in the Upper Midwest who plays h.s. hockey, dreams of a college, hockey scholly.

I think a previous poster said it very well--AD knew that he would "soar" at Minnehaha--not at dear ol' Nebraska U! Top down, our players' are, overall, better than Minnys!
Fans up there can't hold a candle to what's in Lincoln.

I'm not any happier about missing 3 straight bowl games than most of the rest of you. I don't like Fleck, but he's been more successful thus far, unless I missed something? I'm not saying fire Frost either and I now realize it will take more time to change the culture.
Spot on... Unless i'm missing something, there's no conceivable way anyone rational can say Fleck isn't doing something right and out-performing us currently. If you look at the now, you can't argue it.

With that said, Frost will overtake Fleck. No doubt in my mind. But i'm basing that on some hope and what I think is going to happen, Minny has the scoreboard on us to talk to recruits about, so my thought on that isn't based on current reality. I just think Frost can be the better coach in the long run. But it's tough to ignore what happened at Western Michigan and then a top10 finish and Coach of the Year honors this year at Minnesota.

“Right now, we’re selling results. I’ve said this over and over. We’re selling results. Other people are selling hope.” - Mark Dantonio

Spot on... Unless i'm missing something, there's no conceivable way anyone rational can say Fleck isn't doing something right and out-performing us currently. If you look at the now, you can't argue it.

With that said, Frost will overtake Fleck. No doubt in my mind. But i'm basing that on some hope and what I think is going to happen, Minny has the scoreboard on us to talk to recruits about, so my thought on that isn't based on current reality. I just think Frost can be the better coach in the long run. But it's tough to ignore what happened at Western Michigan and then a top10 finish and Coach of the Year honors this year at Minnesota.

“Right now, we’re selling results. I’ve said this over and over. We’re selling results. Other people are selling hope.” - Mark Dantonio

Slightly off topic, but do people think Fleck will stay at Minnesota for the long run? He seems like a coach destined for a upper tier SEC school or Norte Dame.

I agree that Frost will be the better coach long term, but I have no evidence to back that hypothesis other than they both had success at G5 schools and that I want to believe Frost has TO’s offensive genius.

Slightly off topic, but do people think Fleck will stay at Minnesota for the long run? He seems like a coach destined for a upper tier SEC school or Norte Dame.

I agree that Frost will be the better coach long term, but I have no evidence to back that hypothesis other than they both had success at G5 schools and that I want to believe Frost has TO’s offensive genius.
I have no evidence on the Frost being better either, it's just what i'm choosing to believe. He was the right guy to hire here, he had a bad hand he was dealt for sure, I don't care what the first couple years look like in the grand scheme of things when conference titles weren't going to be happening.

I wondered that about Fleck as well. I think he's a northern/midwest guy. So Ohio State, Notre Dame, schools like that could probably pick him off when the time is right. But I have no idea his aspirations. There's a lot to be said for making 4.5 million per year at a place where 8 or 9 wins a year is more than acceptable. Head to Ohio State or Notre Dame to make 7 million a year but stress ramps up.

Minnesota had their most wins since 1904 this past season (keep in mind they have more national titles than Nebraska). He took over for a way better situation than Frost, but sometimes perception is reality I suppose. It's hard to think Nebraska has the edge on anything against Minnesota right now after the 2019 season if you look at it objectively.
Exactly what I was saying in my earlier posts. Your post, as usual, is spot on!

I understand not running the option, or wishbone, etc offenses anymore but I am not so sure on the bolded above. I have been screaming at the TV alot during Frost's 1st 2 years about trying to get cute down by the goal-line and not just running it in. Plus, an offense that has ZERO fullback's seems to me to be more set on the pass than run, which is way anti-Osborne.

Iowa may use their FB, as similar to tosu, other dominant BIG10 schools 1-3 times per game. However, when the FB is used, they often get more than enough yards that they need to get a crucial, game-changing first down and in many cases, the FB scores a TD in a tight game. We don't have a FB that is big enough/strong enough to just mow linemen over like they were bowling pins!

I understand not running the option, or wishbone, etc offenses anymore but I am not so sure on the bolded above. I have been screaming at the TV alot during Frost's 1st 2 years about trying to get cute down by the goal-line and not just running it in. Plus, an offense that has ZERO fullback's seems to me to be more set on the pass than run, which is way anti-Osborne.
TO was an offensive genius because he knew how to create conflict for defenders, disguise his attacks, and build off of previous play series. I disagree with the thought that not having a fullback means we are not run based. Chip Kelly’s offense at Oregon was highly run based and most plays were built off the inside or outside zone read including the pass plays.
Too get extreme, Navy doesn’t usually use a fullback since their standard offense is more of a flex-bone.
Although I will agree, there were a few times I think he got too cute - the AM pass back across the play motion against Purdue. Of course, it was there had AM made the throw...

Agree 100%

We are going to land Findone so that will help us even more. But if we are going to be able to shut down Iowa and Minnesota talk tracks to our recruits we gotta get to 7 or 8 wins this year. I think we will.
I am hoping so. Another Iowa TE prospect, Max Llewellyn (who we have also offered), picked up a lot of CB's to Iowa today. I know Iowa could be taking more than 1 TE, and I know they would take Findone anyway possible, no matter numbers, but I am liking how this is looking. But we shall see.

Exactly what I was saying in my earlier posts. Your post, as usual, is spot on!
In hindsight, it is clear now that NUs culture and team mindset was very, very bad after the 2017 season. It is improving, but compared to Minny's situation, we were behind behind them and still are. Confidence, hope, a feeling of 'we are getting better', we are close to winning the conference, etc., is huge for a team to work hard off season, spend time in video sessions, and put in time doing other things to improve. A feeling of 'we are stuck', we are are not going to win (either number of wins or a significant game, like a bowl game or conference championship game), we are still behind other teams, etc., leaves players giving less during their off season. In this, Minny is ahead of us and it's easy to see why. They won a significant bowl against a top opponent. They had 11 wins, and were in the West Division race. If we see this next season, we will be caught up with Minny. This affects recruiting. Beating a significant opponent next season will go a long ways to adjusting our culture on a upward trajectory AND help recruiting.

In hindsight, it is clear now that NUs culture and team mindset was very, very bad after the 2017 season. It is improving, but compared to Minny's situation, we were behind behind them and still are. Confidence, hope, a feeling of 'we are getting better', we are close to winning the conference, etc., is huge for a team to work hard off season, spend time in video sessions, and put in time doing other things to improve. A feeling of 'we are stuck', we are are not going to win (either number of wins or a significant game, like a bowl game or conference championship game), we are still behind other teams, etc., leaves players giving less during their off season. In this, Minny is ahead of us and it's easy to see why. They won a significant bowl against a top opponent. They had 11 wins, and were in the West Division race. If we see this next season, we will be caught up with Minny. This affects recruiting. Beating a significant opponent next season will go a long ways to adjusting our culture on a upward trajectory AND help recruiting.
Good post! Agreed. To go off the subject of your post for a bit, what concerns me is this China virus. If we either have no season, or have a very partial season, it will, IMO, delay us a full year to getting back to some sort of degree. Anyone who has read my posts have seen me say (even before the China virus) that, IMO, we will start resembling what we want to be in 2021. Though we are loaded at OL, QB (finally!), TE, and do have talented though very young WR's and RB's, ( I will just say it now, for the 1st time, I doubt Spielman comes back), the schedule is absolute killer and if we don't play any schedule, it will set us back a full year. Now, it may not be until 2022, again, JMO. A silver linings is that if there isn't a season this year, and, for some reason the NCAA says "sorry, Jr's and below, you do NOT get a season back (assuming Sr's would like Spring sports Sr's did) we have some talented players who would have a redshirt available to make up for that lost year. (AM, Wan'Dale, others)

To get back on subject of your post, Minnesota lost a ton of defensive players, specifically their D backfield. Their recruiting classes were "meh" the last decade and beyond (they obviously are doing real good this year, for the 1st time in years). So they are now going to plug holes with players who were considered mostly mid/low 3*'s and lower (with he occasional high 3*/4*), aka as "meh" players. I know, they won 11 last year with those same "meh" players. But our advantage is we definitely have some talented players to fill our gaps. But maybe, like Riley's staff, our staff sucks at coaching up players? I don't know. I just know we ALWAYS have had higher ranked classes than Wisconsin and they boat race us almost every year, both with Riley, (Bo to a degree, he got the one win, I was there) and Frost so far. So maybe it is as simple as our past 3 coaching staffs can't coach. I again don't know, though I am very optimistic on Frost and his staff. I loved Bo and his staff but he was a short fused piece of dynamite who couldn't control his temper and it made for some problems. If Bo had Frost's demeanor, he would still be coach, IMO. So, everything this year is a crap shoot for NU. No bowl game practices and no spring practices, and maybe no fall practices.......everyone is in the same shoes but, IMO, it really hurts us.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back