• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Athletic Department Debt

They are not. The athletic department gives millions to the academic side each year and has done so for a while now, but there is no requirement that they do so. We are very fortunate.

You may be right that they are not required as I wasn’t 100% sure. However, I would say that there is an expectation that the athletic department supports the academic side of the university.

You may be right that they are not required as I wasn’t 100% sure. However, I would say that there is an expectation that the athletic department supports the academic side of the university.
If the athletic department wants to continue their "good relationship" with the academic side I would hope they continue to give back. Even the wackadoodle left wing gender studies profs know how much money the athletic department gives to the education side they would be moronic to bite the hand that feeds them.

Regarding the contributions. This is what I believe is happening. We have been contributing back to the education side the scholarship cost for many years. Maybe as many as 20. However, I believe SE negotiated an additional 5 year agreement with the University for another 5 million a year contribution. I can’t swear by this but seem to recall it being in addition.

Regarding the contributions. This is what I believe is happening. We have been contributing back to the education side the scholarship cost for many years. Maybe as many as 20. However, I believe SE negotiated an additional 5 year agreement with the University for another 5 million a year contribution. I can’t swear by this but seem to recall it being in addition.

I agree that these are not just random donations to the academic side from the athletic department.

NU fans are definitely unmatched when it comes to supporting losing teams.

But the leaks in attendance started creeping in two years ago, and last season saw us struggling to sell tickets the week of most of our home games. I don't think we'd survive another bad head coach while continuing to see amazing fan support through attendance.

Looking back at the Bill Jennings era for reference (smaller venue), peak home attendance with 39k when Minnesota came to town in 1960. By Jennings' last game at home against OU in '61 (our rival), it had dwindled down to 26k (33% reduction) -- and that was with a lot less forms of entertainment as alternatives than today.
Very possible. Nothing lasts forever.

I do hope fans still hang tough for at least the next few, even if it's bumpy under Rhule at first. If he can coach, it would be sad to have been solid this long and then not close the deal. I'm not too worried unless things look bleak still in years 3 and 4 though.

A 9 win season here in the next several would go down like an ice cold beer after a long day working in the hot sun.

Last edited:
Expectation based on what? Past practice? There is an unquestionable benefit gained by the university for having a successful noteworthy athletic department. Contributions BACK to the university while nice could be perceived as unnecessary.

If athletic budget got tight why should there be continued contributions? No one else does what NU does to the extent and degree that NU does it.

This is potentially keeping NU from fielding a hockey or lacrosse program, or having facilities that match Alabama or tOSU.

Notice that Iowa is $245M. Barta retiring might be the best thing to happen to them. There has always been some shady stuff going on in that athletic department and football program. Just came across the article when KF broke nepotism rules and hired his son in 2012…Barta later claimed he made the decision to hire him.

Quick and dirty calculation tells me they’ve spent ~$100M on KF since 1999, $10M on BF since 2012, and $18M on Barta since 2007.

Any truth to the rumor that the remaining $117M of that total debt was spent searching for something labeled “offense” in Brian Ferentz’s house and rental storage unit?
Only if the fire Ferentz. Can’t believe that chump is still there.

“DOUBLE CORNHUSKER HONOR ROLL:
Give kudos to Nebraska: They are the ONLY public FBS athletic dept with NO subsidy from the school, and NO athletic debt. That's pretty impressive, Cornhusker friends!”

While this seems very positive, especially given the new $150+M facilities, there doesn’t appear to be a correlation with on field success.

Only of you consider the entire athletic dept football. Volleyball, track, wrestling all doing quite well.

Interesting to me of the top 25

1. 5 are B1G schools
  2. 8 are SEC schools (incl UT and OU)
With all the revenues coming into to those two conferences … how can they be so in debt?
Another point … We Husker fans are celebrating no debt, and the positive impact NU Athletic Department has on the school but are we, by being so fiscally conservative, leaving some opportunity out there?

tOSU and Alabama being on this list gives me pause for concern.
yeah, thats it. Dude just beacause we have not gone in debt does bot mean we have not spent money. We built a new basketball stadium, are upgrading the footballfacilities, upgraded the Bob for volleyball and wrestling.

The difference is we actually support ALL sports. If I recall correctly womens volleyball is one of the few womens sports nationally that makes money. When you are not losing a ton of money on other sports you can do these things with the help.of donors without needing loans.

Alabama makes a pile of money on football. How much do they lose on other sports?

Nebraska has something to be proud of and should continue doing what they’ve been doing. We’re going to once again very soon having those 9 and 10 win seasons imo. That should fix any attendence issues and insure continued financial success. Many of those schools should be ashamed of the massive debt their athletic departments have racked up.

yeah, thats it. Dude just beacause we have not gone in debt does bot mean we have not spent money. We built a new basketball stadium, are upgrading the footballfacilities, upgraded the Bob for volleyball and wrestling.

The difference is we actually support ALL sports. If I recall correctly womens volleyball is one of the few womens sports nationally that makes money. When you are not losing a ton of money on other sports you can do these things with the help.of donors without needing loans.

Alabama makes a pile of money on football. How much do they lose on other sports
NU didn’t build PBA, the City of Lincoln did. As of last summer about $200m had been paid and about $500m remained outstanding. None of the debt is in NU’s books, it’s not an NU only arena.

Alabama makes a pile of money on football. How much do they loseu on other sports?
And yet we still aren’t the head of class when it comes to facilities.
NW, freaking Northwestern, built a state of the art facility on its campus.

I am not saying NU hasn’t spent money. I am saying that being one of the few institutions that returns money back to the university might be at the expense of fielding additional athletic teams. It might be at the expense of additional departmental resources that could boost programs further. Maybe another coach for volleyball, or analyst for football, or further upgrades/resources for S&C?

We want to wave a flag and say look at me, look at me, how good we are … but when virtually NO ONE ELSE is doing it … maybe NU is the outlier and maybe it’s costing us somewhere else?

As @Pops if he’d want an NU hockey program? Does he think there’s value in having one at Dear Ole NU?

Last edited:

And yet we still aren’t the head of class when it comes to facilities.
NW, freaking Northwestern, built a state of the art facility on its campus.

I am not saying NU hasn’t spent money. I am saying that being one of the few institutions that returns money back to the university might be at the expense of fielding additional athletic teams. It might be at the expense of additional departmental resources that could boost programs further. Maybe another coach for volleyball, or analyst for football, or further upgrades/resources for S&C?

We want to wave a flag and say look at me, look at me, how good we are … but when virtually NO ONE ELSE is doing it … maybe NU is the outlier and maybe it’s costing us somewhere else?

As @Pops if he’d want an NU hockey program? Does he think there’s value in having one at Dear Ole NU?
Forst of all, even after there upgrades our current facilities are still better than NW. There facilities were an attempt to catch up they did not surpass any P5 schools with that.

Second, when has hockey been a sport watched by anyone in NE? When growing up in NE I barely knew anyone who ice skated let alone played hockey. People tend to support sports they are familiar with. Heck the NHL barely makes money in the US compared to other leagues. In general Hockey in the US is a regional sport. Relegated to half a dozen states.

If you are not in one of those states or from their, no one cares. Heck even the NHL can not get their games on a major network. @Pops is from one of those states. Do we currently have some niche sports? Yes but they are niche sports that are played by most of the schools or communities in the state, Bowling, rifle, rodeo etc.

Forst of all, even after there upgrades our current facilities are still better than NW. There facilities were an attempt to catch up they did not surpass any P5 schools with that.

Second, when has hockey been a sport watched by anyone in NE? When growing up in NE I barely knew anyone who ice skated let alone played hockey. People tend to support sports they are familiar with. Heck the NHL barely makes money in the US compared to other leagues. In general Hockey in the US is a regional sport. Relegated to half a dozen states.

If you are not in one of those states or from their, no one cares. Heck even the NHL can not get their games on a major network. @Pops is from one of those states. Do we currently have some niche sports? Yes but they are niche sports that are played by most of the schools or communities in the state, Bowling, rifle, rodeo etc.
Michigan, tOSU and PSU sponsor 14 men’s sports in the B1G plus tOSU and PSU have 4 and 2 more sports not part of the conference. Indiana, MSU and Wisconsin sponsor 11. Heck Rutgers sponsors 12 if you include 2 non-B1G sports.

The only schools with less men’s sports than NU is Minnesota, Maryland and NW.

NU is still middle of the pack with 11 women’s sports as well.

We lag behind Michigan, Penn St, tOSU on facilities.

NU is middle of the pack on revenues, tOSU has nearly 40% more revenues than NU. Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota and MSU also have more revenues. I’m not saying add sports just to add them. Personally I’d like to see NU add E-Sports to their roster as it would tap into the technological side of academics as well.

New England region has some of the best college hockey on the planet

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back