• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

At what point will we see Frost give up play calling duties?

ThrowFar60

Scout Team
5 Year Member
Let’s face it, if Moos hasn’t already had a chat with Frost after the game, you can guarantee one is coming this week.

My few interactions with Frost and his wife, I can tell you that he is extremely loyal, family is very important to him, and he’s going to have his guys backs.

I can’t see Frost jumping to make any personnel changes yet, without at least trying to shake things up a bit on his own. I think it’s only a matter of time before Frost hands the reigns to Lubick, and makes himself available to be more involved with every phase of the game, and be a better game manager.

The question is, will it be this season, or next?

I thought he did at UW, but I could be misremembering. Was he just a co OC there?
I think he's been a "passing coordinator" at Duke and was the OC at Oregon but pretty sure Helfrich called the plays. I don't think he called plays at UDub.

Last edited:

It really doesn’t matter who is calling the plays because AM and LM aren’t throwing the passes on schedule and just running. That is when they have time to throw. Need to have fewer plays and do them well. With a QB that can throw the ball in the ocean standing at the end of a pier.

It really doesn’t matter who is calling the plays because AM and LM aren’t throwing the passes on schedule and just running. That is when they have time to throw. Need to have fewer plays and do them well. With a QB that can throw the ball in the ocean standing at the end of a pier.
I'd counter it does matter because we certainly could put either AM or LM in better positions that fit their abilities - heck our offense's abilities. Right now, Frost has them in a system in which no position group has any sustained success.

I posted this in another thread a moment ago but it applies here too. Apologies for the repost.

The most unacceptable thing about the "fake" punt is Frost said he didn't know what happened because he was busy figuring out what the next play should be on offense. This team needs a leader. Someone who is managing all aspects of the game. Who was watching to see that we had enough men on the field? Who's managing the clock? Who's making sure we're making adjustments. He's the boss. He's responsible for all aspects of the game and he's not doing that.

I posted this in another thread a moment ago but it applies here too. Apologies for the repost.

The most unacceptable thing about the "fake" punt is Frost said he didn't know what happened because he was busy figuring out what the next play should be on offense. This team needs a leader. Someone who is managing all aspects of the game. Who was watching to see that we had enough men on the field? Who's managing the clock? Who's making sure we're making adjustments. He's the boss. He's responsible for all aspects of the game and he's not doing that.
That’s kind of my point.....

T.O. was a successful Head Coach/Playcaller, but that’s largely because we had about 9 different plays that were run out of about 10 different formations.

At some point Frost is going to have to relinquish the reigns and become more involved in everything that’s going on until we can get to a point where he’s allowed to spend more time with 1 part of the team.

That’s kind of my point.....

T.O. was a successful Head Coach/Playcaller, but that’s largely because we had about 9 different plays that were run out of about 10 different formations.

At some point Frost is going to have to relinquish the reigns and become more involved in everything that’s going on until we can get to a point where he’s allowed to spend more time with 1 part of the team.
This is hard for me to write since I absolutely hate the god-like status too much of our fan base has bestowed on TO. But you are correct here. I don't remember a single time TO turned his back to the field to figure out what he was going to do on offense the next series. The guy was a HC 1A and OC 1B. He could do both without problem. Frost can't. At least not at this stage of his career/experience.

This is hard for me to write since I absolutely hate the god-like status too much of our fan base has bestowed on TO. But you are correct here. I don't remember a single time TO turned his back to the field to figure out what he was going to do on offense the next series. The guy was a HC 1A and OC 1B. He could do both without problem. Frost can't. At least not at this stage of his career/experience.
It simply comes down to being a CEO vs. President.

We need a CEO, who is able to run things at the macro level, and to delegate well. Right now SF is more the President of the offense, and I believe is getting lost too much in the micro decisions, and getting caught up in the minutia.

T.O.was a great CEO. Saban is a great CEO.

I think he's been a "passing coordinator" at Duke and was the OC at Oregon but pretty sure Helfrich called the plays. I don't think he called plays at UDub.

Frost called the plays under Helfrich, but then Helfrich took over play calling when Frost left?

I'm repeating myself here. But I'll say it again. I think, and this is not an indictment of Frost's play calling, he needs to hand over the reigns. He must take control of this program and be more involved in the minutia. I really think it's a huge problem for what ails this program. That and not having any passing threat.

It was his last season he was there before being fired. I think so. But could be wrong.

Ok, well the big thing is I thought he called plays at UW, but I'm sure you have a better memory than me on this. So I guess I wouldn't be at all opposed to having Helfrich come in as a play calling OC. As long as he doesn't go for two after every touchdown.

Ok, well the big thing is I thought he called plays at UW, but I'm sure you have a better memory than me on this. So I guess I wouldn't be at all opposed to having Helfrich come in as a play calling OC. As long as he doesn't go for two after every touchdown.
No, you may be right. I'm going off horrible memory as well.

I'm not sure Helfrich is the answer as a play-calling OC here, but he sure as hell has a better history preparing QBs at the P5 level with this exact offense than Mario, and will add to the brain-trust. I can't decide whether having Frost, Lubick and Helfrich together again would be a good thing or too many cooks in the kitchen.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back