• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

At Large Chances: Breaking Down Nebraska

Husker Eponymous

Scout Team
10 Year Member
From Todays OWH:

The NCAA bids are determined by teams' RPI, strength of schedule, quality wins and regular-season finish, said Kyle Kallander, the Big South commissioner and the chairman of the NCAA's Division I baseball committee. A few other metrics are included as well, he said.
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120329/BIGRED/703299807/1001#time-to-make-hay-for-huskers

I'm not buying into the "40 wins and you're in" as put forth in the article. Wichita State, among others, are teams that have been left out in recent years with 40 wins, coupled with marginal RPI's and low SOS's.

Here is good info from the Warren Nolan website on NU:

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2012/schedule/Nebraska

(note the 2 losses to 200+ rpi teams)

Record vs. RPI Teams
RPI
1-50
1 - 3<!-- - 0
3 - 4<!-- - 0-->
51-100
4 - 3<!-- - 0
4 - 2<!-- - 0-->
101-200
9 - 1<!-- - 0
5 - 1<!-- - 0-->
201+
3 - 2<!-- - 0
5 - 1
<!-- - 0-->

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

SOS: 74

I can't help but think NU will drop in SOS as the season goes on and teams in the better conferences will have their SOS's rise by conference play

The key to NU's RPI rising might not be only to keep winning (obviously), but for teams like Kansas State and California to pick up steam and win.

Cal has seen its RPI jump 30 spots the last two weeks. Click on Cal and look at the powerhouse schedule they play down the stretch, starting with Texas this weekend.

(I love this website, it breaks everything down in Realtime, no need to research!)

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2012/schedule/California

Last edited:

All this can be avoided with winning the conference tourney (which I think they'll do, along with the regular season title)

IT doesn't help the RPI when UNO beats the Jays and THe Hawkeyes either as teams we play. Maybe the Huskers need to schedual UNO!

Right now there are 15 ranked teams with lower RPIs than NU. NUs RPI is 42 and that is likely as high as it will go, with the very weak schedule coming up, only OSU (41) and Purdue (11) have higher RPIs. NW RPI is 268, any NU losses this weekend (or the remaining schedule) will be devastating.

Fridays win dropped NUs RPI to 48th, Sat loss to 55. SOS has taken a huge hit to 108

I don't think Nebraska is that far ahead of those teams they way they are playing right now.

Nebraska is very unpredictable... very inconsistent. I do have quite a bit more hope than I did the past couple of seasons (when every series was a guaranteed loss). But lots of growing pains to go through.

Check out Purdues RPI by losing to Penn State: 19th

Nebraskas dropped to 72, with as SOS of 115

By the end of the conference season, Purdue may not even be in the Top 40

There will be NO at large team from the B1G. Win or go home will be our mantra.

Last edited:

NU has 4 really bad losses against sub .500 teams.

W. Virginia (12-18)
N. Col (9-13)
NW X2 (10-15)

Last edited:

The conference switch will be a deathblow to this program unless the Athletic Dept can create a schedule that makes the weekend games subordinate to mid-week features against the best in baseball.

Fortunately, I think this is exactly what Coach Erstad wants to do.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back