• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

as of now, what is the case for giving mickey the job?

AUDNZD

Recruit
5 Year Member
because...

1) he's a former player?

2) he beat Indiana?

3) he was affiliated with 2019 LSU?

4) he's a good recruiter?

5) he seems like a good guy?

6) Dabo's resume was similar?

7) some combination?

what am i missing here?

Last edited:
because...

1) he's a former player?

2) he beat Indiana?

7) some combination?

what am i missing here?
Nobody is making the case as of now.
The case is, if he proves himself this season, there may be a case.

Do you have any example of anyone claiming mickey should definitely be hired based on current situation?

because...

1) he's a former player?

2) he beat Indiana?

7) some combination?

what am i missing here?

Nobody is picking him yet. But there is some hope that he proves himself worthy. It's a classic Husker-ism. We have an unabashed affinity for those who used to wear the uniform. That's ok, to a point.

I have faith in Trev to make a sound, grown-up decision about who should lead the program. If things play out a certain way, it could be Mickey, but odds are that it won't be.

Regardless of the outcome, I appreciate Mickey giving it his all.

because...

1) he's a former player?

2) he beat Indiana?

7) some combination?

what am i missing here?
I don't think Trev pulled the trigger early costing a additional 7.5 million and not have his guy locked up early.
It would be malpractice to wait till the season plays out while every other team locks up a coach.

I don't believe Trev has anyone at this point. I believe he started the conversations. I take him at his word. He is trying to figure out who can do the job here. Maybe Mickey is the dude? As long as he brings in the right DC and OC what does he need to do other than make sure the entire crew is doing the job the way he wants it done?

But then again that is the rub. He has never done it before. This is time #1. Maybe he is a natural.

But he said it in the interview. It's about the Jimmy and Joe's. I agree. He is good at getting the Jimmy and Joe's. I think he could be the best coach we have had in the last 15 years if he gets a defense that matters. Some sort of physical offense. He understands it is a means to the NFL.

He's growing on me. And that is the problem with hiring a coach two games in and hiring the next ex-Husker QB. I don't know anything about his brother Vance and whether or not he could be a good college DC. If he could.....why not give it a shot? Put Bill back at ST coordinator + position and roll with it. Replace who needs to be replaced. I mean some people hear wanted Frost to come back next year if he won 5 total games. What if Mickey does?

But let's say we hire him. In three years August 4th is Mickey Joseph day.......do we fire him? Who gets him to the next step?

One last question. Didn't Scott Frost only have one year as an HC at UCF before coming here? Do we want that again? Or is the 9 games he gets better than the season Scott had in Orlando?

I am glad I am not making the decision. I am in Madison and they are all in on the DC. He could fail as HC easy. I don't believe in seeing the future, so if it feels right in the present why not feel right. I am sure I will change my opinion every week this year if not every day.

If Mickey was on “To Tell the Truth,” they would have to have some pretty bad imposters for me to believe MJ was the real college head coach. IMO, that is one more thing he has to overcome to get the job. Of course Rhule and Kiffin are head coaches and Rhule looks like he might wake up in his parent’s basement every morning. In his defense, MJ has never said he wanted to be an HC.

If Mickey was on “To Tell the Truth,” they would have to have some pretty bad imposters for me to believe MJ was the real college head coach. IMO, that is one more thing he has to overcome to get the job. Of course Rhule and Kiffin are head coaches and Rhule looks like he might wake up in his parent’s basement every morning. In his defense, MJ has never said he wanted to be an HC.
He didn't come right out and say he wanted to be HC, but he's said several times "I have 8 interviews" (presumably to prove his candidacy). I don't know what else he'd mean by that other than he has the chance to toss his hat in the ring for the job - and more importantly, to show our players that they don't have to accept the trajectory they were previously on.

In a presser, some media member asked him if he liked the interim coach job, and his comment was "I don't like this part (the pressers)."

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back