• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

as of now, what is the case for giving mickey the job?

because...

1) he's a former player?

2) he beat Indiana?

3) he was affiliated with 2019 LSU?

4) he's a good recruiter?

5) he seems like a good guy?

6) Dabo's resume was similar?

7) some combination?

what am i missing here?
The case is hes a natural leader and has great character, and you can see it. Hes made smart decisions that made a pathetic team and defensive, way better in a matter of weeks. The case is hes a proven recruiter and developer and has some connections for a great staff. The case is the players play hard for him and love him, and recruits want to keep him which means we could take off on this thing fast if hes the right hire. He has some real IT factor. The case is guys who look like they should be great hires dont always pan out and guys that are risky are the ones that do some times. See dabo, see pete carrol, see scott frost who on paper was the most sure hire we ever hired, including over when we hired devaney and TO.

So, IF he continues to win games and make the team look better and IF Trev over the next 2 months, sees things behind the scenes that give him a clear idea that this guy is a guy that is one of the next great coaches out there (again, from his evaluation on things behind the scene that we dont see), then he would be a great hire.

If the team doesnt continue to get better or/and if Trevs eval behind the scenes leads him to believe hes got some promise but you dont really see anything special about him....then you dont hire him

And then there is the 3rd factor, which is even if MJ looks really promising, IF there is a better coach out there that wants to come here......you hire that guy instead of mickey cuz the program deserves the best you can get. But if MJ is even with a few other options, you give it to mick because of the fact that short term we could turn around faster and long term, his love for the program means we arent hiring an Ace coach that leaves in 3 years.

Got it?

Now in the meantime, even though fans are excited about mickey and should be, theres very few that think as of today he should be hired. So put your frustrations elsewhere.

Last edited:

Nobody is picking him yet. But there is some hope that he proves himself worthy. It's a classic Husker-ism. We have an unabashed affinity for those who used to wear the uniform. That's ok, to a point.

I have faith in Trev to make a sound, grown-up decision about who should lead the program. If things play out a certain way, it could be Mickey, but odds are that it won't be.

Regardless of the outcome, I appreciate Mickey giving it his all.
This. End Thread. :)

I'll just cut and paste my response from other "mickey" threads:

Like most all A.D.'s, this hire will be Trev's first and only HC hire barring sudden death or retirement of the next HC. He doesn't have the luxury of taking a chance on a 'maybe'.

We don't have the time for another OTJ training program for HC at NU. I think Mickey's a nice dude and a great assistant coach. Might be a great HC one day. But not here and not now.

Unless I missed it, the universal opinion seems to be ‘He’s done well so far, let’s see how October plays out’.
I just don't think Trev or for that matter any AD worth a hoot is waiting till then before getting their guy locked down.

Well, he is leader in the clubhouse since he is the only real candidate at this point. I hope he continues to stay in that position because that means donu is doing well.

Like most all A.D.'s, this hire will be Trev's first and only HC hire barring sudden death or retirement of the next HC. He doesn't have the luxury of taking a chance on a 'maybe'.

We don't have the time for another OTJ training program for HC at NU. I think Mickey's a nice dude and a great assistant coach. Might be a great HC one day. But not here and not now.
Couldn't agree more we have alot to offer a New HC right now than anytime since FHCFS was annoited headcoach. Trev has to get this right no more taking chances on sentimental, fan favorites.

The economic engine that is Nebraska Football is that important. This will be his legacy.

The case is hes a natural leader and has great character, and you can see it. Hes made smart decisions that made a pathetic team and defensive, way better in a matter of weeks. The case is hes a proven recruiter and developer and has some connections for a great staff. The case is the players play hard for him and love him, and recruits want to keep him which means we could take off on this thing fast if hes the right hire. He has some real IT factor. The case is guys who look like they should be great hires dont always pan out and guys that are risky are the ones that do some times. See dabo, see pete carrol, see scott frost who on paper was the most sure hire we ever hired, including over when we hired devaney and TO.

So, IF he continues to win games and make the team look better and IF Trev over the next 2 months, sees things behind the scenes that give him a clear idea that this guy is a guy that is one of the next great coaches out there (again, from his evaluation on things behind the scene that we dont see), then he would be a great hire.

If the team doesnt continue to get better or/and if Trevs eval behind the scenes leads him to believe hes got some promise but you dont really see anything special about him....then you dont hire him

And then there is the 3rd factor, which is even if MJ looks really promising, IF there is a better coach out there that wants to come here......you hire that guy instead of mickey cuz the program deserves the best you can get. But if MJ is even with a few other options, you give it to mick because of the fact that short term we could turn around faster and long term, his love for the program means we arent hiring an Ace coach that leaves in 3 years.

Got it?

Now in the meantime, even though fans are excited about mickey and should be, theres very few that think as of today he should be hired. So put your frustrations elsewhere.
That's easily the best post I've seen on this topic in a month. I don't know where you got that from, but Bravo!

MJ wants this job.

With the possible exception of Urban Meyer, which coaches aren't a "maybe?"

because...

1) he's a former player?

2) he beat Indiana?

3) he was affiliated with 2019 LSU?

4) he's a good recruiter?

5) he seems like a good guy?

6) Dabo's resume was similar?

7) some combination?

what am i missing here?
Nothing at this point and time.

What I appreciate most about MJ in the here and now is that he takes the role of program representative and caretaker very seriously. His public comments hammer that theme. (That and playing tough.)

I think he truly wants to leave the program in a better state then when he got here.

I assumed blindly the last guy was focused on that as well, but…. apparently not.

The case for him will be that everyone above him on the list said no. Coach J isn't at the top of Trev's list and Trev doesn't have time to see how the season plays out unless he is going further and further down the list.

If Coach J ends up being the guy, it isn't because Trev let everything play out before making a decision.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back