• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

as of now, what is the case for giving mickey the job?

First half tonight showed probably why MJ shouldn’t be the head coach, 2nd half showed why he should get consideration.

Last edited:

You have to see how the season plays out. We got a bit lucky today but momentum is big. If we beat Purdue the team is going to have one really tough game. Lets see how the season goes. If we make a bowl it will be hard not to keep him. However, if we make a bowl and get blown out three more times, that would change everything too,

There are bigger tests ahead, but his team fought tonight and found a way in a grinder of a game. With the mental state of this team a month ago, that alone is impressive. The one coaching change he made has certainly paid off. Busch has impressed.
On to Purdue and a tougher test. Can they go on the road and play well for 4 quarters now?

First half tonight showed probably why MJ shouldn’t be the head coach, 2nd half showed why he should get consideration.
I think we should show the team a little grace playing a conference road game on a short week. It was a tall order to show up and look polished.

The biggest thing I take from this game is that Mickey is instilling toughness into the players on an individual basis, and its showing up on the field. Physical toughness feeds mental toughness. I think that's what we saw tonight. The team was patient. And they scrapped for all 4 quarters.

The second biggest thing I take from this game is that the coaching staff as a group won the battle against Rutgers' staff. Its been a long time since I saw a conference game where it felt like Nebraska had the better of the half-time adjustments. Now its happened two weeks in a row.

Third point is that Mickey showed savvy game management. He was patient, but did a great job burning up clock and playing the field position game late in the contest. He used his timeouts wisely. There's nowhere to hide those decisions. That is entirely on the head coach.

I don't think Mickey is the favorite to win the job at this point, nor should he be. But so far he's passed all his tests with flying colors. I'm pulling for him. I'd love nothing more than for this team to find a way to get to the Big 10 championship game and then shock the world. It would be Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story, but it would be fun. If they can't manage that miracle end to the season, at least the team is fighting their asses off and giving me something to cheer for.

I don't think Mickey is the favorite to win the job at this point, nor should he be. But so far he's passed all his tests with flying colors. I'm pulling for him. I'd love nothing more than for this team to find a way to get to the Big 10 championship game and then shock the world. It would be Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story, but it would be fun. If they can't manage that miracle end to the season, at least the team is fighting their asses off and giving me something to cheer for.

A lot. What are you saying. Choose inexperience over experience? I can tell you experienced coaches have succeeded more often.
I’m saying that you seem to be basing your decision on only one factor. There are many factors, of which you (we) are not privy, that go into the decision. Trev will make the decision, which will turn out to be a good or bad decision, based on all of the factors he has available at the time. The factors from which he makes the decision will certainly include head coach experience but it certainly won’t be the sole factor.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back