• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Article on FSU

Some of these are interesting articles, granted alot of 'unnamed' sources so it could be just sour grapes, but since this is about FSU I believe them all.

Fwiw, this is the Bleacher Report story that the MSN story in your link is summarizing: https://bleacherreport.com/articles...lie-taggarts-plan-to-rise-again?share=twitter

There is a lot fuller picture in the BR article, including a lot of material that the MSN article left out.

Everything in the article passes the sniff test: it smells right. Everybody saw that Winston received special treatment, and FSU has a history of pampering its football players, so the slide into mediocrity coming from that slide in team culture completely makes sense. Jimbo Fisher bailing out and going to Texas A&M also makes sense as he wasn't going to right that ship.

A couple of predictions about the future to take away from everything mentioned:
  1. Texas A&M is probably going to have a successful run under Fisher until the same slide in team culture comes from cutting corners there, too, which will also fit well into TAMU's past profile.
  2. FSU will be much improved this year. Taggart getting everyone on board will do a lot, by itself, but I also think that Kendall Briles as OC is a brilliant move as I think that he's one of the best in the college business, and no other ACC teams run his Veer & Gun offense.
Some have mentioned some shady dealings as far as Taggart's recruiting in the past, but I haven't read about that more than rumors on a discussion board. If that's true, things could get really interesting at FSU in a hurry, on multiple levels.

I always thought it was somewhat strange the way he blew out of Oregon? A single year as HC of a P5 school is rather unusual even for Taggart imo. I know he coached and was orginally from Florida so there is that......... Be interesting to see what happens with that program but I'll never get over the hosing we got in that NC game against Florida! I'll always believe it was a gift NC for Bobby.

I always thought it was somewhat strange the way he blew out of Oregon? A single year as HC of a P5 school is rather unusual even for Taggart imo. I know he coached and was orginally from Florida so there is that.........
He identified it as his dream job. He has said that he wanted to play there, but he wasn't offered. It is strange that he was only in Oregon for one year, but he did a heck of a job in that one year, and they're in better shape now because of it.

If there is anything fishy in his recruiting background, I'd like to hear more about it. I don't have a strong opinion about him, one way or the other, beyond the objective fact that he seems to have made every other team that he's coached better.

Fwiw, this is the Bleacher Report story that the MSN story in your link is summarizing: https://bleacherreport.com/articles...lie-taggarts-plan-to-rise-again?share=twitter

1. FSU will be much improved this year. Taggart getting everyone on board will do a lot, by itself, but I also think that Kendall Briles as OC is a brilliant move as I think that he's one of the best in the college business, and no other ACC teams run his Veer & Gun offense.

Do you have any links that explains the X's and O's of this offence?

Last edited:
I'm in the minority here, but I'm not incredibly impressed with Taggert on a few different levels and despite that one season with South Florida where he won 10 games (and subsequently made him the next "hot" hire), he has not been overwhelmingly successful as a Head Coach. I've heard some good things about him being great with RB's, but I'm just not sure where all the love comes from (I do know he can recruit very well, but so many other HCs can too). He is a career 52-57 coach. Hell, Mike Riley has a 112-99 career record.

Tell me something I don't know.

Do you have any links that explains the X's and O's of this offence?
The Veer and Shoot is a combination of the old Veer Option offense with the Run & Shoot offense, and it's all run out of shotgun. If you saw what Robert Griffin, III, did at Baylor in 2011, that's when it more or less was sprung on the college football world, but the 2014 Baylor offense was probably the best iteration of it, so far. In 2011 everyone thought that it had to have an RG3 for it to work at that level, but there was a point in the 2015 season when Briles went to something like his 5th QB, and it was still tearing everybody a new bunghole. If the 2014 team had gotten into the CFP (with Bryce Petty at QB), they would have shot off some offensive fireworks against anyone, and they possibly would have won the whole thing.

It's usually run in a hurry-up/no-huddle style, and (like both the Run & Shoot and the Veer) it's based on only a handful of plays, each of which has multiple options built into it. The base formation is the Mother-of-All-Spread Formations where the outside Split-Ends are only a few yards from each sideline, the Slot Receivers are outside of either hash mark, and almost every play is an RPO where the O-line fires off downfield at least 3 yards in run-blocking mode. The QB and RB ideally have sprinter speed, and the QB has a strong arm. There are a lot of similarities in theory to the Chip Kelly/Scott Frost offense, but unlike Kelly, there is a Veer-Option read to the same side instead of the QB reading the backside DE. The QB doesn't have to be a great running threat, but (as with RG3) it takes the offense to nuclear levels when you do. In reality, though, you can taper the offense around whatever QB you have on hand. Case Keenum ran it very well at Houston, and he looks nothing like RG3's QB style. Every Nebraska QB from 2010 onward could have run it, though Tanner Lee's feet would have been a handicap, and Tommy Armstrong, Adrian Martinez, and Taylor Martinez probably could have shattered records with it. Guys like Armstrong and Martinez, who were both a threat to run and could throw the deep ball, were ideal fits, even if they weren't accurate with other types of throws. Unless the D-line was capable of shutting down the running game with little help from anyone else, every defense has to cheat one way or another, and stopping the run game opens up the deep ball, or vice versa. Fwiw, Nebraska ran a version of the Inverted Veer (QB is the inside running threat while RB is the outside/Jet Sweep running threat) with Taylor Martinez in 2010, which is also what Gus Malzahn (as Auburn's OC in 2010) installed for Cam Newton that year. It was the "Veer" part of the "Veer and Shoot," but they didn't have the same sort of spread formation with attacking vertical routes that is Briles' foundation. Here's an old Smart Football write-up by Chris Brown from 2011 when people still weren't quite sure what to call it.

The main deep threat is some version of a 4-Verticals pattern where all 4 WRs will sometimes cross, sometimes fly straight up the field, and sometimes do an Air Raid-like mesh in the middle with fly routes on the outside; regardless, they can all fly, and they're going to end up deep and spaced out horizontally, and one of your Safeties or CBs is probably NOT going to be able to cover his guy one-on-one. When you try to cheat by running a Nickle defense, now they're going to run smash-mouth football right over your 6 defenders who are left in the box. Like Oregon and Frost at UCF, everything and everyone is FAST, so every little play has the potential to go the distance. Throw in a bunch of variations of Bubble Screens, Tunnel Screens, and almost every Air Raid pass to an RB, and it's just an amazing offense to behold.

I'm not sure what level of terminology you prefer, so I'll post a bunch of links below, and you can click and open until you find the one(s) you like.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back