• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Are we going to get an Accurate Passing QB from the Portal?

To all of the AM haters: I don't think it is coincidence that AM had his best season as a freshman when he had the best group of recievers, O line and RB's since he has been here. To place all of the offense blame on him is just ignorant.
1. You raise a valid point, its easier to be a QB when you are at Alabama, surround by NFL level talent.
2. On the other hand, critics of AM raise valid issues of AM's negatives: lack of field vision, his poor record over three years with turnovers, and the extremely variable level of his play (very good some times and very poor others with not apparent development over three years).
3. Where there has been too little emphasis is that his skill set, better runner than pocket passer, is a imperfect match to Scott's system.
AM would have been a far better match to Dr. Tom's system in that regard, looking far more like a Turner Gill than he does like a Vince Ferragamo.
Ferragamo would be a much better match to Scott's system as a precision thrower and decent (well okay :) ) runner than AM or LM are.

Thus my biggest disappointment with Scott and his staff is failure to match his system to the players he has instead of demanding that the players he has fit into the UCF system he wants to run despite seeing year over year the scoring decline that is resulting from this stubbornness.

Good, not great, just good coaches are smart enough to put players in the best position to be successful and not ask them to do things they are not good at.
At these the DONU coaches are getting an D- on offense (Wan'dale on the goal line as a power back is my lead example).
GBR

GBR

Deal with it we will be forced into another year of Martinez and Luke 'The Future" McCaffrey as a backup. The team will go 3-9 or 4-8, then hopefully we move on from this coaching staff and find one who can teach QBs to read defenses, hang onto the football, coach WRs on how to get open, and use our weapons properly. Smothers senior highlights are encouraging but I don't see Frost playing him next year as his ride or die is Martinez with a backup who is even worse at reading defenses and can't throw the ball more than 20 yards in the air.

If you dont understand that football is a TEAM sport then cannot explain it. AM is far from perfect but other variables play into some of the turnovers. I guess some posters on here are 'slow blinkers'.
Lmao only slow blinker is you and trying to suggest the line is responsible for am holding onto the ball. Am is the responsible for his turnovers end of story and that’s your captain. Hard for the Captain to hold people accountable when he himself has huge mistakes. It’s ok though at the end of the day it will be a win win for me. Am comes out and is the great qb people like you say he is we win I would love to see that. If I’m right then we lose or find a better qb than am in smothers or the kid from
Kearney. At the end of the day it’s not hate of am for me it’s that I see how bad he plays and his slow blinker. Time will tell though which one of us is right.

Lmao only slow blinker is you and trying to suggest the line is responsible for am holding onto the ball. Am is the responsible for his turnovers end of story and that’s your captain. Hard for the Captain to hold people accountable when he himself has huge mistakes. It’s ok though at the end of the day it will be a win win for me. Am comes out and is the great qb people like you say he is we win I would love to see that. If I’m right then we lose or find a better qb than am in smothers or the kid from
Kearney. At the end of the day it’s not hate of am for me it’s that I see how bad he plays and his slow blinker. Time will tell though which one of us is right.

Deal with it we will be forced into another year of Martinez and Luke 'The Future" McCaffrey as a backup. The team will go 3-9 or 4-8, then hopefully we move on from this coaching staff and find one who can teach QBs to read defenses, hang onto the football, coach WRs on how to get open, and use our weapons properly. Smothers senior highlights are encouraging but I don't see Frost playing him next year as his ride or die is Martinez with a backup who is even worse at reading defenses and can't throw the ball more than 20 yards in the air.

I'm sorry you both have to endure such trying circumstances. Keep your head up.

I agree with needing OL play and WR play before we blame AM. Here is my problem with the fans blaming our offensive woes on AM. I get it that they want an effective offense but I think there are some intelligent fans burying the heads in the sand wanting a quick fix.... Or blame....for the offense because it's easier and more comfortable believing someone in the transfer portal will miraculously resolve our blocking, receiving, running back, special teams and defensive 3rd down completion percentage s.
Not to speak for everyone but the blame is more on Frost, Verduzco, and Lubick. Martinez looked like the real deal as a freshman but has regressed badly. From all accounts he's a good kid and hard worker so that means the coaching staff hasn't coached him up or tailored the offense to take advantage of his skills. When I see Frost's play calling I get the feeling that in many instances he doesn't trust his quarterback(s). I also blame the staff for having him bulk up the way he did last season. He looks slower and less sure of himself than he did as a freshman.

Not to speak for everyone but the blame is more on Frost, Verduzco, and Lubick. Martinez looked like the real deal as a freshman but has regressed badly. From all accounts he's a good kid and hard worker so that means the coaching staff hasn't coached him up or tailored the offense to take advantage of his skills. When I see Frost's play calling I get the feeling that in many instances he doesn't trust his quarterback(s). I also blame the staff for having him bulk up the way he did last season. He looks slower and less sure of himself than he did as a freshman.
Might be a case of " paralysis by analysis" to a certain extent. Need to get that blinking speed faster.

I can't tell who is a bigger Husker fan, you or jmatlock?

We don't get an elite QB at this point. Alabama, Ohio State and a very very few other schools get all of those. So can we get a very good one - say a 4 star that lives up to his ranking? Not right now, unless he is from Nebraska. Most of those go to a very few schools also. There just aren't many of them.

So we get what we have - realistically 3 stars based on lack of development while they are here. Now good 3 stars that don't throw interceptions and don't fumble the ball can win a lot of games. We don't seem to have one of those in the QB room, or if we do, we don't play him.

And if we had one, to whom would he throw the ball? I guess the tight end next year..

haters gonna hate.
So I have to hate am cause I just don’t see him as that great qb you and others see? Tell me this and be honest if you can do you believe Ohio atate wisky or even Iowa would pick am up in the transfer portal if they could?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back