• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Are we going to get an Accurate Passing QB from the Portal?

Why would a good QB in the portal opt for NU? He can look at our record since our HC came here. Would that entice him to come? He certainly would not improve his draft stock. He has a relatively ordinary receiving corps to throw to. He ha a system that doesn't work in the BIG, and at best only ordinary play calling and at worst bad play calling. And he has competition at QB in a player that the HC has been wed to no matter what throughout his time at NU.

Some QB may come, but not a good one.

Right. So had a super accurate passer and was the 6th leading rusher in the B1G and we are going to get a replacement in the portal without giving him the starting job? Just not going to happen.

We have way more issues than our QBs accuracy.
. Just amazed me how tunnel visioned towards negative some fans are on here towards AM. His numbers are pretty remarkable considering the issues we have surrounding him.

Right. So had a super accurate passer and was the 6th leading rusher in the B1G and we are going to get a replacement in the portal without giving him the starting job? Just not going to happen.

We have way more issues than our QBs accuracy.
***....how much of the lack of completions on long passes do you think had to do with our recievers not having the ability to get open and how much was timing issues due to the goofy spring schedule and having different groups on the field every game at the WR position? Obviously some of it has to do with pressure but AM threw a pretty decent long ball his freshman season if I remember correctly.

The fumble issue with Martinez is a concern, particularly with how he is used in the running game. To me his ball security when carrying the ball and his not being coached up on how to properly hold/protect the ball when beyond the line of scrimmage is a red flag relative to the supposed QB guru on the coaching staff. This sort of attention to detail seems to be evident in some form in almost all position groups. Something like Martinez's down field ball security should have been coached up in his year one. In fact, it should have been handled in high school.

Growing up I was a Washington Redskins fan and I'll always use Mark Rypien as an example of what a QB can do with a great O-Line. He was the Super Bowl MVP in 1992 and was far from the best QB in the NFL. You could probably argue he wasn't even in the top half of NFL QB's that year. So what's my point: AM is not the issue.

His ability to throw hasn't somehow disappeared. I'd venture a guess that if we all saw him simply throwing the route tree to uncovered receivers we'd be amazed.

I don't understand the desire to continually look for the next answer and knock this young man. I think if he entered the portal he'd end up with much better offers than Oregon St. or Colorado St.
So instead of blaming am your blaming the guys on the line. Don’t know why people like you diminish the hard work and strides the oline has made to try and cover for a qb that is slow at reading defenses. When you need more than five second you are the problem.

. Just amazed me how tunnel visioned towards negative some fans are on here towards AM. His numbers are pretty remarkable considering the issues we have surrounding him.
Yes he’s great at turning over the ball. Think he’s in the top five of most turnovers in one’s career.

***....how much of the lack of completions on long passes do you think had to do with our recievers not having the ability to get open and how much was timing issues due to the goofy spring schedule and having different groups on the field every game at the WR position? Obviously some of it has to do with pressure but AM threw a pretty decent long ball his freshman season if I remember correctly.
I think just like many of our issues, there's a bunch of things mixed together that created the problem.

- Adrian is accurate, but is he accurate downfield, I don't know
- New OC we celebrated TEs getting first reads, is the offense designed to not go downfield as much?
- We've started and played about a dozen receivers this year, is he not comfortable?
- Could our OL not protect him to get to that read?

I just don't know. I think we need some consistent OL play and WRs before it's a QB issue for me.

I think just like many of our issues, there's a bunch of things mixed together that created the problem.

- New OC we celebrated TEs getting first reads, is the offense designed to not go downfield as much?
- We've started and played about a dozen receivers this year, is he not comfortable?

I just don't know. I think we need some consistent OL play and WRs before it's a QB issue for me.
The use of the tight ends and the offense not meant to stretch the field is an interesting thought. As much as we needed to get the TEs involved I hope the long term plan isn't to limit downfield throws...if that's what the thought process was. I'm also surprised at the use of the TEs between the 20s but not in the Red Zone. Red zone offense is typically the best use of a big TE.

I thought Martinez was shaky to start the season but once he came back after he was benched he looked much better and was using his check downs better. I recall a couple of bad misses in the end zone but every QB has those. The fumbles are my big concern with AM...and can we keep him or any QB on the field an entire season with all the hits they take.

[4QUOTE="JonnyV, post: 4849991, member: 6286"]
The fumbles are my big concern with AM...and can we keep him or any QB on the field an entire season with all the hits they take.
[/QUOTE]
In 7 games the season AM had 7 fumbles and 3 INT's. In 2019 he had 8 fumbles and 9 INT's. In 2018 he had 12 fumbles and 8 INT's. Does anyone see a pattern here? Is this all caused by poor O-line play? If he can't learn to hang onto the ball he shouldn't be starting imo. Giving that many drive killers and/or turning the ball over simply isn't going to produce a lot of winning football imo.

I think that there are more question that need to be asked about the "passing game" than the ones you asked above:

1. Does Scott's offense ask too much of most college QB's in terms of reading the defense.
Answer: I think its yes.
2. What is the point of the "passing game"? By this I mean is it a horizontal game, a replacement for running (swing passes, WR screens) or a vertical passing game ( down the field, 15-30 yard plays).
Answer: Neither. :(. It is supposed to by a chunk play, down the field offense but it only has the component players for the horizontal game and they have not performed that game well enough to consistently move the chains.
3. does the "passing game" have complimentary plays?
Any good offense has complimentary plays, meaning that if you have a passing play that works and the defense adjusts to try and take that away, DONU's offense has a "complimentary play" (running or passing" to takes advantage of that defensive adjustment.
Answer: Other than the QB running play and maybe the Jet sweep, I have not detected "complimentary plays" Have you ***. If not, why not as this is the sign of a good OC scheming to consistently beat a defense with the "passing game" by being one step ahead and helping his QB.
4. It would appear that DONU "passing game" is based on a pocket passing attack. Why, when its clear to all the Big TEN DCs that DONU is blessed with QBs that are run/pass QBs not pocket passers? IF you were DONU's OC, why wouldn't you threat the opposing defense by: a) being run heavy to force single coverage against your WR/TE, b) roll your QB out, making him a run threat and moving away from pressure and giving him easier reads of the defense, c) run occasional option with option pass to TE to make the defense honor that part of your game and use the skills of your QB room to their maximum as opposed to taking a dual threat QB and making him a pro style QB?
Answer: stubborn commitment of staff to original offensive concepts is all I can come up with.

I just can't understand the failure to the staff to look at the players they have, especially the QB room because this is the single component that could flip them from losing to winning season, and play to the strength of these players and not their weaknesses.

Say what you will but a QB like the AM of the last 6 games of 2018 leads DONU to a winning season in 2019 and 2020, you can not deny it :).

GBR

AMs passing % was definitely helped by the huge # of swing passes that his receivers had to contort themselves to catch, that led to zero gain or loss of yds. If he could hit those passes to receivers in stride or the right position the offense would have had much greater success.
Granted, he struggles with long throws, but he also has accuracy problems with ball placement with what are supposed to be the easiest throws.

Last edited:

So instead of blaming am your blaming the guys on the line. Don’t know why people like you diminish the hard work and strides the oline has made to try and cover for a qb that is slow at reading defenses. When you need more than five second you are the problem.
I don't choose to look at it as "blame". I think the offense as a whole has opportunities to improve. I do think the O Line has the potential to get better. I also think the WR's can do much better getting open. If you have 5 seconds (which I don't believe was frequently the case) to read the fact that none of your WR's have separation, what are you supposed to do?

Does AM have opportunities, absolutely. As do the OL, as do the TE's and WR's, as do the play callers.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back