• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Approaching crazy with the transfer portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

I live in Wisconsin. I got my first job way back in the dark ages because the hiring manager was looking for someone from Wisconsin or Marquette. It was a filtering criteria. Name recognition matters. It happens all the time. Schools are willing to pay Nick Saban millions of $$$ because his work helps schools with enrollment and ultimately brings them $$$.
Highly overrated, unless you are looking at specific positions. Salaries vary little in entry level positions based on where you got your degree. Your ability to demand a higher salary or gain promotions will only be impacted by your ability to perform the tasks required by the position, and those skills are demonstrated as you move up the ranks, not based on where you went to school.

This is the same kind of fable that travel team coaches spin to parents of 10 year olds, ‘if you don’t do this, you won’t have a chance’. We’ve hired 200 people this year, pay on the higher end of the market, and our talent is from schools large and small, directional colleges and name universities. Our upper management is recruited based on prior experience and success, not on where they got their degree.

I think you are both right. I think where you went to school can matter when getting that first job. As you said @wcbsas your hiring manager was looking for someone that went to Wisconsin or Marquette. I think it matters a lot more on the left or right coasts of this country than it does in the middle.

I think it also matters what the profession is. A law degree from Harvard and a medical degree from Johns Hopkins carries more weight than a degree from Nebraska. That doesn't mean the doctor or lawyer from those schools is any more competent than the one from Nebraska.

As @LarstheRed said it doesn't really matter all that much where you went to school for an entry level spot in business. If you are good at your job, you are good at your job.

I agree on the travel team crap. If you have a kid with talent for a particular sport it really doesn't matter what is done in their youth. People will find them and offer them scholarships.

There can be brilliant graduates from almost any university and they will do well anywhere. But playing the averages and recognizing that by and large the schools with better reputations get better instructors on the whole, and a collection of students who have performed better in secondary schools, the average graduate from those schools will probably do better and climb the corporate ladder farther and faster.

But, of course, they have to have the intangibles that make them "fit" with the company. Otherwise they either will not be hired or they will be discovered as being out of step fairly early.
I also think the idea that instructors are better is pretty iffy. You may attract stronger researchers, but profs in larger universities spend so little time actually teaching, I see little impact in the quality of the instruction.

Disagree, the schools name holds a lot of importance. Employers for one look for name recognition.

Even moreso than that is the network of alums who help each other. If you're a ND grad looking for work in NYC, you have a leg up on a lot of people.

Even moreso than that is the network of alums who help each other. If you're a ND grad looking for work in NYC, you have a leg up on a lot of people.
True, and that isn’t exclusive to large schools. I think of a small college in Sioux Falls that had an amazing 96% placement back when I was looking at the school. Certain businesses can focus on employing as many of a local school’s grads as possible, which keeps a town and workforce strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back