• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Anyone watch the Iowa stop?

I'm not sure how we belittle a team that has owned us for the last few years. What does that make us? I thought the key thing I took from the BTN crew was that they had a very physical practice. First time I've heard that crew say that about any team. And being physical is how they clobbered Ohio State 55- something. I suspect they will try that with us this year.

I'm not sure how we belittle a team that has owned us for the last few years. What does that make us? I thought the key thing I took from the BTN crew was that they had a very physical practice. First time I've heard that crew say that about any team. And being physical is how they clobbered Ohio State 55- something. I suspect they will try that with us this year.

We have had this discussion before, but it sure sounds like a rivalry that is brewing. ;)

I have a hard time figuring out why anyone would belittle a team that has beat us 4x in a row unless they are starting to dislike the team.

I guess you could say their bus stop was boring, but the BTN crew saw exactly what they thought they would see. A very good team that is going to be sound on defense and solid on offense.

They actually said that about Nebraska's practice.

What DiNardo said about Iowa's practice was that it was the MOST physical practice they had seen. Even though they were in half pads, they were hitting hard (but "safely", if that makes sense).

So that was a little disappointing, just because I wanted OUR practice to be the most physical. But again, the bus crew comes in to see only one practice. I know we didn't go ones-on-ones when they were in Lincoln. Hopefully on black Friday we will at least match their physicality.

I don't get how any fan at Nebraska could make fun of Iowa, a team that has beaten us pretty consistently since Nebraska joined the B1G...a team that destroyed OSU last year....a team that (even though the score was close) pounded our defense last year with the run last year. Last year, it was far more likely that they could have beaten us by alot more, rather than we win that game (if you actually watched the game or watch it over now, they ran at will against the Huskers. They stopped themselves by poor playcalling passes when they didn't need to). So yes, they are boring to watch. So too are many consistently good teams that don't lose games with stupid turnovers and penalties at crucial times. Iowa is and always seems to be the same team under Ferentz...same plays, different players...a perennial 7-9 win team.

What makes Iowa football as good as they are? Fundamentals. Big, strong, physical linemen. Blocking and tackling. A strong running game. That's what makes teams like Iowa and Wisconsin tough.

What they lack is innovation, which is what keeps teams like Iowa and Wisconsin from winning it all.

Teams that are innovative, like Mike Leach's air raid offense, Spurrier's fun and gun, and Oregon, will have great success as well. But they won't make it to elite level, because they don't do the physical part of football right (fundamentals).

It takes both to build a dynasty.

I don't get how any fan at Nebraska could make fun of Iowa, a team that has beaten us pretty consistently since Nebraska joined the B1G...a team that destroyed OSU last year....a team that (even though the score was close) pounded our defense last year with the run last year. Last year, it was far more likely that they could have beaten us by alot more, rather than we win that game (if you actually watched the game or watch it over now, they ran at will against the Huskers. They stopped themselves by poor playcalling passes when they didn't need to). So yes, they are boring to watch. So too are many consistently good teams that don't lose games with stupid turnovers and penalties at crucial times. Iowa is and always seems to be the same team under Ferentz...same plays, different players...a perennial 7-9 win team.
I'm not "making fun" of Iowa or any team. But I have to correct your statement: Iowa has beaten us consistently since MR became coach. Before that, we beat them consistently.

And, they "ran the ball at will" in the second quarter. At that point, it looked like they would dominate us at the LOS, ala Wisconsin. But amazingly, we held our own in the second half, which speaks to our improved conditioning. Iowa was somewhat lucky to win with their last-second FG.

What makes Iowa football as good as they are? Fundamentals. Big, strong, physical linemen. Blocking and tackling. A strong running game. That's what makes teams like Iowa and Wisconsin tough.

What they lack is innovation, which is what keeps teams like Iowa and Wisconsin from winning it all.

Teams that are innovative, like Mike Leach's air raid offense, Spurrier's fun and gun, and Oregon, will have great success as well. But they won't make it to elite level, because they don't do the physical part of football right (fundamentals).

Curious how you define elite? Oregon did make it to the NC game.

I like your thinking. I would add 1 more component, talent. Top end talent goes a long ways. For most of Sabin's tenure at Alabama they have not been particularly innovative on offense. They have been very physical and very talented. You could say the same for Clemson.

I'm not "making fun" of Iowa or any team. But I have to correct your statement: Iowa has beaten us consistently since MR became coach. Before that, we beat them consistently.

And, they "ran the ball at will" in the second quarter. At that point, it looked like they would dominate us at the LOS, ala Wisconsin. But amazingly, we held our own in the second half, which speaks to our improved conditioning. Iowa was somewhat lucky to win with their last-second FG.
Totally agree...... Actually the stats suggest the game was for most part dead even which is true imo! They out gained us by only 19 total yds. Take away their 18 yds in sacks and total yds are essentially dead even. Game could have easily been won by the Huskers had we picked up a critical 3rd down!

I believe IA is going to have a very difficult time attempting to just shove us around this year. If it turns into a shoot out they will almost surely lose because their offense isn't even close to Nebraska's.

IA is a decent pedestrian team that's probably going to constently win 7 or 8 games with a few losing seasons tossed in. Ferentz 20 year winning % is .601 which isn't bad but hardly outstanding either imo. Their fans seem to be worried and extremely negative about Nebraska's football resurgence.

Lets see how the series plays out the next 5 years...........

I wouldn't say they beat Nebraska consistently since joining the B1G. They beat Mike Riley consistently. They went 1-3 against Pelini, and have only played 1 game against a Frost coached team; a 4-7 team with e true freshman QB that they had to pull some last second heroics to defeat in Iowa City. The sun is setting once again on the Squawkeyes.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back