• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Anyone Paying Attention to Mack Brown?

They just got Tony Grimes. Yikes.

Dré Bly is a coach with a bright future. Grimes being from Virginia, just like Bly, was huge. He's EXTREMELY popular in his home state and will be a major factor for all of the top kids in the region - and Virginia (and North Carolina for that matter) produce more talent than people realize. Bly was already gaining a strong reputation as a recruiter before he got Grimes. You add him to a staff that also has ace recruiters like Tommy Thigpen, Robert Gillespie and Jay Bateman, and it's easy to envision UNC being in the Top 15 on a regular basis.

I started a thread on this same topic a few days ago -- though put it in Other teams.

There's a link there discussing UNC's latest verbal -- and mention that 247 has their 2021 class ranked 3rd nationally.

Dré Bly is a coach with a bright future. Grimes being from Virginia, just like Bly, was huge. He's EXTREMELY popular in his home state and will be a major factor for all of the top kids in the region - and Virginia (and North Carolina for that matter) produce more talent than people realize. Bly was already gaining a strong reputation as a recruiter before he got Grimes. You add him to a staff that also has ace recruiters like Tommy Thigpen, Robert Gillespie and Jay Bateman, and it's easy to envision UNC being in the Top 15 on a regular basis.

The two best hires Mack has arguably ever made were Jay Bateman as his DC and Phil Longo as his OC. They're both really innovative and dynamic, and it shows that Mack learned some things during his time off. His philosophies on both sides of the ball got really stale those last few years at Texas.
And I agree about both Bly and Thigpen, but I still am amazed at how well they're recruiting. #3 in the country is amazing. UNC is a beautiful campus and their stadium is really cool, but it only seats 60k and they will always be a basketball school. To see them beating out football blue bloods I'm recruiting is a little surprising.

I had family at UNC when Brown was there the first time. His recipe was to dominate the state of NC and do some damage in Virginia and the Tidewater region. He built a very talented roster doing so, second only to FSU in the ACC at the time.

North Carolina was a good state for talent then. It's great now. And Virginia has not only the Tidewater region but the Richmond area and Northern Virginia both put out a lot of great players that aren't all that far from Chapel Hill. With Mack Brown, UNC is truly a potential giant in CFB.

Last edited:
It was lack of a quarterback.

It’s been almost ten years now, so I may be a little fuzzy, but I seem to remember a constant stream of top 5 QB recruits going to Texas, so was it the talent or the coaching?
Also, see pre-Tua Alabama for an example of dominating without ever having an elite quarterback. Texas’ recruiting classes were always top 5, they just couldn’t coach them up one Colt McCoy left.

It’s been almost ten years now, so I may be a little fuzzy, but I seem to remember a constant stream of top 5 QB recruits going to Texas, so was it the talent or the coaching?
Also, see pre-Tua Alabama for an example of dominating without ever having an elite quarterback. Texas’ recruiting classes were always top 5, they just couldn’t coach them up one Colt McCoy left.

Colt was the last QB at Texas that amounted to anything.

Garrett Gilbert was the beginning of the end for the Mack era at UT.

But yes, I also agree that Mack's philosophies and schemes weren't evolving with the rest of the Big 12. He needed a reset.

Sam Ehlinger is a stud, so UT is in much better shape now than they were at the end of the Mack Brown era.

Last edited:
Right, but it wasn’t for lack of trying. They signed stud after stud every year and couldn’t coach them up.

It was really just one supposed stud to finish the Mack Brown era. Gilbert -- who was a turnover machine (some of that might have been coaching, but I'm not so sure that he was ever a fit). Then there was Case McCoy, who was never really expected to be as good as his brother -- and he definitely wasn't nearly as hyped as Garrett Gilbert. And David Ash, who was probably intended to be no more than a backup but earned starts due to failures and injuries. Both Gilbert and Ash had season-ending injuries while at UT. There were definitely some missteps in recruiting quarterbacks at UT during the final years of the Mack Brown era.

It was really just one supposed stud to finish the Mack Brown era. Gilbert -- who was a turnover machine (some of that might have been coaching, but I'm not so sure that he was ever a fit). Then there was Case McCoy, who was never really expected to be as good as his brother -- and he definitely wasn't nearly as hyped as Garrett Gilbert. And David Ash, who was probably intended to be no more than a backup but earned starts due to failures and injuries. Both Gilbert and Ash had season-ending injuries while at UT. There were definitely some missteps in recruiting quarterbacks at UT during the final years of the Mack Brown era.

I guess I was thinking about Jevan Snead, but I looked him up and he was beaten out by Colt McCoy.

One of the things that seemed to hurt him during his last years at Texas was likely the advancements Texas HS's had made in player development. He got a lot of players who were super highly rated and dominant in HS, but looked like they had already peaked or were near their peak when they got to college. comparing a great athletic raw kid from LA to a highly developed kid from TX showed that TX needed to try to project what was left in the tank for these players.

Mack can really recruit though.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back