• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Anyone here ever try Sous Vide?

KingTM

All Big 10
5 Year Member
Its no secret that I love to cook and experiment with different things in the kitchen. Lately, I've been seeing a lot of talk/articles regarding the sous vide method of cooking. In my lab, I have several cupboards filled with kitchen gadgets but I've recently identified a gap that needs filling and this appears to fit the bill; http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-sous-vide-gear/.

Just checking to see if anyone here has any experience with sous vide.

Its no secret that I love to cook and experiment with different things in the kitchen. Lately, I've been seeing a lot of talk/articles regarding the sous vide method of cooking. In my lab, I have several cupboards filled with kitchen gadgets but I've recently identified a gap that needs filling and this appears to fit the bill; http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-sous-vide-gear/.

Just checking to see if anyone here has any experience with sous vide.

I had never even heard of such a device before(and if I did, I don't recall). Sounds very interesting and I think, reasonably priced.

Sadly if you have had ribs at a chain you have most likely had food prepared this way (and poorly). They can cook and then hold portions in a warm mode for longer. When you order they de-bag it, season it/sauce it put under the broiler. Plate it.

I am not knock it as a way to prep food. I went to a friends house that had one a few year ago and we made steaks. Same process. He bagged the steaks and cooked them slowly to the perfect doneness. Then we finished them in a pan to give them the char. They were very good, consistent through out the whole steak.

The problem I have with it is when people (restaurants) use it on things that you expect to smoked...but if you want cheap all you can eat ribs.

Thanks, all. I've been trying to determine what I'd use this thing for and I can't really come up with anything. I just want it for...reasons. Alas, I'll have to find something else to fill that hole in my gadget cabinet.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back