• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Any word from Matt Davison?

No offense to anyone who has started a thread on Scott Frost, but everytime I see one and the bad things that he is doing and that someone saw this or saw that. All I can picture are the headlines about the royal family. Oh no, did you see Harry do this, what about Megan, or a lip reader knows what was said between the Harry and his brother. I didn't read any of those articles either, people just need to move on.

Sorry for the derail or vent. The football board has lost its fun. Can't believe Hot Topics is more enjoyable than the football board.

So did anyone find Matt?
You know it’s kind of funny how this keeps building. Some people are discussing it and it’s giving them closure. It continues to be a bad source because there are still SF supporters out there trying to beat up the messengers. A handful were really vocal protecting SF during the last few years and appear to still struggle to admit how wrong they were.

Strange that you include "boosters" with media and administrators. Boosters have no obligation to inform the fan base of jack. Nor do you want them doing that. Some egocentric booster wants to out a coach to the public? Yeah, no way that could lead to any problems--like untruths, half-truths, personal agendas, lack of any kind of due process.
We’ve seen some of those opinions in the paper over the years. Yeah, the big boosters mainly need to stay shut up. Most of them are just idiot fans who think $ entitles them to voice their dumb opinion. Unfortunately it usually does…straight to the top.

Yes. Is it that hard to understand? The job of the football program is not just to win, it is to foster the proper attitude and character among the young men that play so as to make winning the natural result. But winning is the goal as well.

SF’s off the field personality, problems, and antics appear to have tanked the program from a winning perspective. But just as importantly, you better believe the players knew first or second hand about SF and what he was doing and his character and/or problems off the field too. He was a terrible example to them in almost every way, it appears.

When the COO of a business fails this spectacularly, it would be a terrible CEO who says, well, I fired him, let’s move on.

If the organization is to succeed in the future, a CEO (Trev) has to identify and take stock of everything that happened that led to that failure to make sure it doesn’t happen again. To just “move on” is absolute malpractice. In this case, that includes SF’s behavior, problems, the examples he set, and the larger problem of a highly dysfunctional athletic/booster system that covered up and supported it all. It is SF’s fault that these things are all at issue now, not Trev’s and not ours, and Trev, the media, and the fans doesn’t owe it to SF or anyone else to ignore these issues and not talk about them out of “respect” or the fact that they are “in the past.”
Good post.

I think we lack one true organizational leader who has the final say. A smart, practical leader. There are too many influences who can derail the program and the agenda. That has been proven year after year post Osborne/Solich.

Yes. Is it that hard to understand? The job of the football program is not just to win, it is to foster the proper attitude and character among the young men that play so as to make winning the natural result. But winning is the goal as well.

SF’s off the field personality, problems, and antics appear to have tanked the program from a winning perspective. But just as importantly, you better believe the players knew first or second hand about SF and what he was doing and his character and/or problems off the field too. He was a terrible example to them in almost every way, it appears.

When the COO of a business fails this spectacularly, it would be a terrible CEO who says, well, I fired him, let’s move on.

If the organization is to succeed in the future, a CEO (Trev) has to identify and take stock of everything that happened that led to that failure to make sure it doesn’t happen again. To just “move on” is absolute malpractice. In this case, that includes SF’s behavior, problems, the examples he set, and the larger problem of a highly dysfunctional athletic/booster system that covered up and supported it all. It is SF’s fault that these things are all at issue now, not Trev’s and not ours, and Trev, the media, and the fans doesn’t owe it to SF or anyone else to ignore these issues and not talk about them out of “respect” or the fact that they are “in the past.”
Wow. Nice perspective. This very well could represent one of the biggest breakdowns we have had in the athletic department. Mainly under Moos. I personally believe Trev gave Scott a clean slate and let him fall.

We’ve seen some of those opinions in the paper over the years. Yeah, the big boosters mainly need to stay shut up. Most of them are just idiot fans who think $ entitles them to voice their dumb opinion. Unfortunately it usually does…straight to the top.
Yep, money talks. And more often than not, it talks stupidly.

Last edited:
Everyone agreed Frost was the guy, you me and everyone else, and yes he was on paper 100% qualified. You clearly have an agenda if you think it is Matt's fault Frost didn't make it to meetings or came to those meetings drunk.

proceed with your witch hunt
Curious why you are so hell bent on defending Davison? He’s at least complicit in this whole thing that failed under his watch, no? You can hand frost 98% of the blame if you want, but somebody else was his right hand man. I havent heard a lot of good things about Davison’s personality over the years, he parlayed his friendship with Frost into an asst AD job…Frost failed at football, so Matt failed as asst AD well. Fair?

Curious why you are so hell bent on defending Davison? He’s at least complicit in this whole thing that failed under his watch, no? You can hand frost 98% of the blame if you want, but somebody else was his right hand man. I havent heard a lot of good things about Davison’s personality over the years, he parlayed his friendship with Frost into an asst AD job…Frost failed at football, so Matt failed as asst AD well. Fair?

Show me where I am really defending him, aside from making fun of those needing to make themselves feel better by attacking Matt for Frost's failures?

Can you define, and accurately, what Matt's role really was? Not what you think it is, or what you think it includes, but what it actually includes?

EDIT: you didn't respond to my A or B question.. Which one is it?

Last edited:
Show me where I am really defending him, aside from making fun of those needing to make themselves feel better by attacking Matt for Frost's failures?

Can you define, and accurately, what Matt's role really was? Not what you think it is, or what you think it includes, but what it actually includes?

EDIT: you didn't respond to my A or B question.. Which one is it?
Whats an a or b question?

yeah, he was the asst ad for football. His job was to get frost to sign, so he would get that job. I think the description speaks for itself. He was supposed to oversee it, apparently he did, and it was a massive failure in which he shares quite a bit of blame. Did he kick his friend’s ass when he wasn’t doing his job, or not? Or did he officially kick his ass as part of his AD role when he wasnt doing his job?

If not, he failed too. He failed at his job and he failed his friend. I dont really care, but trying to deflect blame from anyone except the guys who werent here until this past year is pretty lame.

Last edited:
@wcbsas one of these is true, which one is it..

A) Trev can't be trusted as the AD and should be fired because he is showing favoritism..
B) Maybe Matt's role is not defined exactly like you believe it is.

Which one is it? There is no C and D. If Trev is playing favoritisms, then that indeed means he can't be trusted to evaluate this program, and as such should be let go.

Whats an a or b question?

yeah, he was the asst ad for football. His job was to get frost to sign, some would get that job. I think the description speaks for itself. He was supposed to oversee it, apparently he did, and it was a massive failure in which he shares quite a bit of blame. Did he kick his friend’s ass when he wasn’t doing his job, or not? Or did he officially kick his ass as part of his AD role when he wasnt doing his job?

If not, he failed too. He failed at his job and he failed his friend. I dont really care, but trying to deflect blame from anyone except the guys who werent here until this past year is pretty lame.

See above..

Let me get this straight, he did what he was hired to do, but because Frost failed Matt is now responsible for that?
lol, some of you are much smarter than this.

Which one is it for you? Either Trev is not doing his job, and based on what you said is part of the problem and he should be help accountable, which, in his role, means he should be let go, or Matt's role isn't exactly what you think it is.

Last edited:
See above..

Let me get this straight, he did what he was hired to do, but because Frost failed Matt is now responsible for that?

Which one is it for you? Either Trev is not doing his job, and based on what you said is part of the problem and he should be help accountable, which, in his role, means he should be let go, or Matt's role isn't exactly what you think it is.
I’ll choose (C). As in, I really dont give a (C)rap about your question, and I’m not going to go back and try to figure out what point you were trying to make about it.

Davison was in charge of the football program at the Asst AD level, so he failed too. Moos, Frost, Chinander, Mario, Luigi, the fanbase including me who all wanted Frost, the media, on down to the guy who hoses out the troughs in Memorial Stadium. Take your pick. Assign your %’s. Davison’s is definitely not zero.

Trev has been here less than a year, so you can only stick him with that part of the bill. What he knew or didn’t know was most likely not for public consumption either way, and I’m he had certain constraints.

So, here’s apparently what he’s doing now, assuming he’s still working. Not sure what that has to do with ‘favorites’ or whatever. Trev likely wanted some independent eyes on the program while he was making his decisions.

Matt Davison is in his fifth season on the Nebraska staff. He is the Senior Associate Athletic Director for External Engagement after previously serving as the Associate Athletic Director for Football. Davison is a former Husker football and basketball player.

Davison joined Nebraska after a career in the medical sales field, but Davison always remained involved with Nebraska Athletics as a color commentator for football and men’s basketball radio broadcasts. Davison is still an analyst for the Huskers Radio Network game-day football broadcasts.

In addition to his day-to-day role with the football program, Davison is heavily involved in the planning and design of Nebraska's new Football Performance Center, part of the athletic department's $155 million, 350,000-square foot expansion project scheduled to open in 2023.

Last edited:

Chalk me up as someone who hopes Davidson is gone. Tired of his smart mouth as an announcer.
See above..

I probably don’t feel as strongly as FLAS does about this, but since this is a thread about MD, I’ll add this: I do feel like MD‘s contributions to the University should be under examination by TA (as should anybody’s who is currently working in the AD that had a hand in making sure the public didn’t get an accurate impression of how things were going in the football program). Some here defend him vigorously. If it’s because he’s a former Cornhusker, then that just doesn’t wash. If it’s because his (new) position is bringing value to the program, then so be it. But if someone collects a salary from the State of Nebraska, they better damn well be qualified for the job (The radio gig is separate from the University, no?). Catching a fluke pass in a football game is quite rightly the stuff of sports legend and makes you a local celebrity, but I doubt that’s a qualification for his position. Again, this is NOT an attack on MD personally, but a plea to ensure that the Nebraska football program is staffed with qualified professionals and not the playground of friends of the (former) HC - and that applies to everyone, not just MD. I’m sure TA is looking at all the angles in HIS department and will act accordingly…

I’ll choose (C). As in, I really dont give a (C)rap about your question, and I’m not going to go back and try to figure out what point you were trying to make about it.

Davison was in charge of the football program at the Asst AD level, so he failed too. Moos, Frost, Chinander, Mario, Luigi, the fanbase including me who all wanted Frost, the media, on down to the guy who hoses out the troughs in Memorial Stadium. Take your pick. Assign your %’s. Davison’s is definitely not zero.

Trev has been here less than a year, so you can only stick him with that part of the bill. What he knew or didn’t know was most likely not for public consumption either way, and I’m he had certain constraints.

So, here’s apparently what he’s doing now, assuming he’s still working. Not sure what that has to do with ‘favorites’ or whatever. Trev likely wanted some independent eyes on the program while he was making his decisions.

Thanks for the info.. nowhere does that say what you claimed his role to be, or part of it.. it doesn't say anything about Matt being the Frost's "right hand man".

and if it makes you and others feel better about yourselves, throw those stones.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back