• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Any Woodworkers Here?

I have seen videos where they use a chain saw and a ladder to mill trees. Just a thought.

I used a chain saw mill to make the planks. Takes a little messing around with to get setup right, but it produces fairly decent live edge planks. I'd like to take three about 20" wide each, mill them down, cut them to uniform widths and use them to make a coffee table. That's what I can't do. The widest planer I can find is too expensive to use as infrequently as I would for stuff like this and the $600 and cheaper versions are usually only for 12-13" wide material.

Of any detail work I'd like to do, I'd love a lathe to turn stuff. I've seen some amazing stuff on the internet that look like they'd be fun to create.

The local Woodcraft store has a vendor show this weekend, I went yesterday, and they had a guy promoting the stores lathe classes. He had some really nice things he had done. There was a large vase that was put together from 700 pieces then turned down, truly an incredible piece.

Also these guys were there promoting their freehand router YouTube channel and items. They made it look so easy, I may have to give it a shot some day.

I’m going to be making some planks of my own from oak and cherry I’ve cut down. Not sure they’ll handle those for me.
I tell you what, I just purchased 3x3 mahogany stock, and man is it pricey. I'd surely keep some of that lumber you have to cut stock for leg turning or pillars.

I need to do the same down here. I have most everything required for any type of woodworking, but I don't have a planer. I don't see the point in buying a smaller power planer when the material I'd likely be working with would require something much bigger. That would be awesome to find in a location like you're describing.
some ppl call around to local wood shops to see if they can run some wood thru their planer/jointer/belt sanders. would cost you but at least if you only need something large every once in awhile, that would do.

I mess around with it. My garage is a mess, I don't suggest anyone turning their garage into a shop. Hard to keep it clean unless you have lots of time. Love making things for my grandsons though.

Recently finished a bar for our kitchen. Mahogany and sapele.
mspwJYCJQS2oqwriI8Vd+A_thumb_4b4.jpg
qFaPqL+ZQ1ClFOTbT2C6kA_thumb_4b9.jpg

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back