• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Any Woodworkers Here?

I had a full woodworking shop in Colorado when I did my own cabinetry for custom homes. It was something that started as a hobby I enjoyed and turned into a lot of work. I sold a lot of the bigger stuff when I stopped doing residential in the '90's, but still have a enough to build a lot of things I need around or for the house. The basics will take you far, it just depends on what you're trying to build.

A table saw, power miter or radial arm saw, router, sander and a cordless drill and impact. Clamps, square, a vise comes in handy.

You mentioned getting a shop set up in your garage, my suggestion would be to build a good wood working bench as a project. You can find a lot of great plans for a wood working bench on line. If you start with the tools you need for that, you can go pretty far and add as you add new projects. Maybe a French cleat system for a wall or two in your new shop as the second. Before you know it, you'll have everything you need for most things you want to build and a nice setup to build in.

If you have any specific questions on things, you can PM me.
Thanks Crab, I did have a few “starter“ tools that I gathered over the years doing maintenance on our rental properties, miter saw, cordless drills and such. Also, a couple of weeks ago I picked up a nice 10” Dewalt Jobsite Table Saw off of Facebook Marketplace dirt cheap. Next will be a probably be a router of some sort and more clamps (lots more clamps)
My first project (aside from reorganizing my garage) was building a workbench, it turned out pretty good but I’m already seeing a need to add a second that’s a bit taller that I can use as a feed out for my table saw. Also been looking at the French cleats for some things.
I will definitely pm you sometime as I am planning to build a kitchen island later this year.

Could you share your doorstop plans, please?

Everything I know about woodworking, I learned from Dave Barry

https://www.davebarry.com/columns/how-to-make-board.php

I have a radial arm saw, which is like any other saw except that it has a blade that spins at several billion revolutions per second and therefore can sever your average arm in a trice. When I operate my rad- ial arm saw, I use a safety procedure that was developed by X-ray machine technicians: I leave the room.
I turn off all the power in the house, leave a piece of wood near the saw, scurry to a safe distance, and turn the power back on. That is how I made my board.

Last edited:
After hand/wrist surgery and an extended period of not being able to do much of anything I found that building something, without a lot of pain in my hand, is quite enjoyable. So I started turning my small space in the garage into a little workshop. I haven’t really done any woodworking since high school 40 years ago and have a lot to remember and relearn.

Anyway, please share and tips or tricks you’ve learned over the years and show-off anything you’ve built
All episodes of wood working should result, as paramount, with a consistent count to ten fingers and ten toes.

After hand/wrist surgery and an extended period of not being able to do much of anything I found that building something, without a lot of pain in my hand, is quite enjoyable. So I started turning my small space in the garage into a little workshop. I haven’t really done any woodworking since high school 40 years ago and have a lot to remember and relearn.

Anyway, please share and tips or tricks you’ve learned over the years and show-off anything you’ve built
If you're just getting started, get an idea for what you'd like to build and get dependable tools for that project. Don't spend the big bucks on tools you don't need if you plan to build a bird house or two. You can always upgrade if you really get in to woodworking.
Biggest tip - patience. Don't rush your projects. Glue, varnish, paint, etc... all take time to dry. Oftentimes the difference between a good build and a crappy build is in the finishing process.

As big a help to getting a good outcome is investing in an 18" metal ruler and 11x14 graph paper. Draw out your intentions and it helps you discover how things will piece together, order of operations, a cut list, and materials needed. Drawing is my favorite part.
Things go down hill after that.

All episodes of wood working should result, as paramount, with a consistent count to ten fingers and ten toes.
My best friend in school lost the top of his thumb from the knuckle up to a table saw. I think of him often when I’m using power tools.

As big a help to getting a good outcome is investing in an 18" metal ruler and 11x14 graph paper. Draw out your intentions and it helps you discover how things will piece together, order of operations, a cut list, and materials needed. Drawing is my favorite part.
Things go down hill after that.
Great idea, pretty sure I have all that around the house, although I think all my rulers are crooked.

With a metal ruler, there is likely a margin before the zero line. Grind that off so you can butt the end right up to an inside frame.
If youv'e not woodworked in awhile, there is a new standard in fasteners. The star-headed drive bits and screws are vastly improved over phillips heads. Invest in the bits and screws.
Also, these star head screws come in a "trim" version, designed to be countersunk like finish nails. They are genius. Lose the hammer.

Last edited:

Here in KC they have an awesome woodworkers guild that is housed in a big warehouse. For a small monthly fee you can use all their state of the art tools, classes and there is always an experienced woodworker around to give you tips if you need them.
Good to know. I am moving up to KC in August, when I retire. I will have to check them out.

I just started getting into it after retiring from the military. I didn't need too many new smaller power tools (already had Miter saw, circ saw, jigsaw, router, drill/driver), but too many moves over the years to drag around a table saw and woodworking was never going to be my main hobby.

Most all of my projects are to just outfit my shop as it needs new work tables around the perimeter and some drawers, cabinets, etc. I'm building a miter station into one of the benches and will build a mobile workbench and embed the jobsite saw I picked up recently. In hindsight I would have gotten a full size table saw, but didn't want to spend the $$.

Tons of good youtube videos out there and I've probably spent more time watching them than actually doing work.

Dust collection is something to think about. I built a dust collection system with a shopvac, 5gal bucket and cyclone and a rolling cart to hold it all. It works pretty well but the saw still kicks out alot of dust. I might get a larger system if/when I spring for a planer.

Last edited:
I just started getting into it after retiring from the military. I didn't need too many new smaller power tools (already had Miter saw, circ saw, jigsaw, router, drill/driver), but too many moves over the years to drag around a table saw and woodworking was never going to be my main hobby.

Most all of my projects are to just outfit my shop as it needs new work tables around the perimeter and some drawers, cabinets, etc. I'm building a miter station into one of the benches and will build a mobile workbench and embed the jobsite saw I picked up recently. In hindsight I would have gotten a full size table saw, but didn't want to spend the $$.

Tons of good youtube videos out there and I've probably spent more time watching them than actually doing work.

Dust collection is something to think about. I built a dust collection system with a shopvac, 5gal bucket and cyclone and a rolling cart to hold it all. It works pretty well but the saw still kicks out alot of dust. I might get a larger system if/when I spring for a planer.
Yeah dust collection is a big deal, I just bought a new shop vac and will follow that up with some sort of cyclone system, whether store bought or home made I haven’t decided yet since the adapters are overpriced and maybe cheaper to buy a whole unit.

Agree there are tons of great folks on YouTube, I love BourbonMoth, 3x3 and Lincoln St among others.

I would LOVE to do the same thing!!!!!

I'm the same, built a china hutch and a 7 gun gun cabinet in high school.

Nothing since, but really do miss it.

I can do basic construction like, decks, framing, siding, roofing, floors, drywall, etc. But I draw the line at fancy work like cabinetry and furniture. I don't have the patience for it and I despise finishing work like sanding and varnishing.

Actually demolition work is my favorite. Very therapeutic.

Last edited:

Yeah dust collection is a big deal, I just bought a new shop vac and will follow that up with some sort of cyclone system, whether store bought or home made I haven’t decided yet since the adapters are overpriced and maybe cheaper to buy a whole unit.

Agree there are tons of great folks on YouTube, I love BourbonMoth, 3x3 and Lincoln St among others.
Another tool of more recent availability is the oscillating or "multitool" devices. It is my most often used tool after a drill and table saw, and sander. On job sites, that jumps to 2nd behind a drill. They allow much more precision in hand cuts, and can plunge cut (for instance, cutting out a square-for an electrical box in a cabinet). They have an adaptor for detail sanding. This would be the one tool I wouldn't scrimp on. Fein Multimaster is the word.
As with all, every, cutting tool be it saw blade, drill bit, router bit- get carbide.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back