• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Any Woodworkers Here?

bugeater61

Kill All Humans
20 Year Member
After hand/wrist surgery and an extended period of not being able to do much of anything I found that building something, without a lot of pain in my hand, is quite enjoyable. So I started turning my small space in the garage into a little workshop. I haven’t really done any woodworking since high school 40 years ago and have a lot to remember and relearn.

Anyway, please share and tips or tricks you’ve learned over the years and show-off anything you’ve built

Let me save you some trouble. Take $10,000 in cash, walk it to your nearest bathroom, and flush it down the toilet. That'll save you the heartache of buying a garage full of woodworking equipment only to sell it when you find out that you have no talent or patience for woodworking.

That was me. Thousands of dollars and the only thing I have to show for it is a bottle opener that I made on a wood lathe which, btw, is now useless because the beers I drink comes in cans. Have fun.

Let me save you some trouble. Take $10,000 in cash, walk it to your nearest bathroom, and flush it down the toilet. That'll save you the heartache of buying a garage full of woodworking equipment only to sell it when you find out that you have no talent or patience for woodworking.

That was me. Thousands of dollars and the only thing I have to show for it is a bottle opener that I made on a wood lathe which, btw, is now useless because the beers I drink comes in cans. Have fun.
That’s probably where I’ll be as well, except i can’t afford 10k in tools. But I’m having fun for now, sooo

After hand/wrist surgery and an extended period of not being able to do much of anything I found that building something, without a lot of pain in my hand, is quite enjoyable. So I started turning my small space in the garage into a little workshop. I haven’t really done any woodworking since high school 40 years ago and have a lot to remember and relearn.

Anyway, please share and tips or tricks you’ve learned over the years and show-off anything you’ve built

I had a full woodworking shop in Colorado when I did my own cabinetry for custom homes. It was something that started as a hobby I enjoyed and turned into a lot of work. I sold a lot of the bigger stuff when I stopped doing residential in the '90's, but still have a enough to build a lot of things I need around or for the house. The basics will take you far, it just depends on what you're trying to build.

A table saw, power miter or radial arm saw, router, sander and a cordless drill and impact. Clamps, square, a vise comes in handy.

You mentioned getting a shop set up in your garage, my suggestion would be to build a good wood working bench as a project. You can find a lot of great plans for a wood working bench on line. If you start with the tools you need for that, you can go pretty far and add as you add new projects. Maybe a French cleat system for a wall or two in your new shop as the second. Before you know it, you'll have everything you need for most things you want to build and a nice setup to build in.

If you have any specific questions on things, you can PM me.

Here in KC they have an awesome woodworkers guild that is housed in a big warehouse. For a small monthly fee you can use all their state of the art tools, classes and there is always an experienced woodworker around to give you tips if you need them.
That’s awesome, I haven‘t heard about something like that here but I’m going to look around.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back