• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Any updates on Coach Dewitt?

Quitting is highly personal. What works for one may not work for another. I was both an addict and habit smoker. When I quit, my body tingled for almost a month. I tried many things; and in the end found out "want to" and determination were the key. Other things can help, but there will be weak moments when the only thing between you and your nicotine is desire to quit. Those moments can last up to two years; just become much less frequent. Respect to those that have quit and good luck to everyone trying to quit; it truly is the hardest thing I have ever accomplished.
I smoked for 26 years, until 1992 when I came down with the worst case of the flu I have ever had. I was sick for 3 days and didn’t smoke the whole time. Once I started feeling better I was heading out to the back patio to have a smoke and my youngest daughter said “You are already 3 days in – why don’t you just quit?” I couldn’t argue with her logic so I took the only pack of Old Golds I had left in the house, crushed them and tossed them in the trash. Have not smoked since.

Cigarettes smelled good to me for about a year, and I really missed the cigarette after a meal – but I held out. Today they hold no appeal to me, thank goodness.

I alternated between smoking and chewing for several years in my teens through early 20's. I told myself that I was chewing to help quit smoking, then smoked when my gums were sore. Eventually I accepted that I wasn't "quitting" and decided to do it for real cold turkey, that a healthy life was more important to me, and have been tobacco free for 15 years. My dad (as I mentioned earlier in this thread) has been a smoker for over 50 years, and despite the fact he is facing the potential of getting his leg cut off due to narrowing arteries and continuously re-occuring blockages, with blood so thin he bleeds from a stiff breeze, doesn't want to quit smoking yet. It will frustrate me until the day I die why smoking is more important to him than his leg is.

Anyone that has quit tobacco, you have my respect as I know how difficult it is. For anyone currently trying to quit, you are stronger than you may think you are and you can do it. For anyone thinking about quitting, find a reason worth fighting for and do it, there will never be an easier time or better time to do it.

Chantix binds to the same receptors as nicotine, but only gives a partial response relative to nicotine.The thought process in the drug discovery phase was that if people don't experience the full effects from smoking while taking Chantix, it would allow people to more easily wean themselves off nicotine addiction, with reduced withdrawal symptoms. You should talk to your doctor, going over when the cravings came back strong, and whether to keep going with Chantix or try something else.

A good friend of mine was on the discovery chemistry team that discovered Chantix. It's not a perfect drug by any means (there is no such thing), but for her to know that it helps 20% of people who take it quit smoking is her greatest life achievement.
Chantix worked for me!

It will frustrate me until the day I die why smoking is more important to him than his leg is.
When Lyndon Johnson had a severe heart attack and was told that he had to quite smoking, he said, "I'd rather cut my [JOHNSON] off than give up smoking."

As far as I have been able to research, cutting off your [JOHNSON] does little to alleviate the negative health effects of smoking.

Last edited:

I quit 5 ½ years ago because I could tell my breathing was getting bad. I used to sit out in the smoking area, where I worked, with one of my bosses and told her I was thinking of quitting. She really urged me on and so, on 9-30-13, I had my last smoke at 11pm. I would light it, take a drag or two and put it out. I did this until I took my last drag at 11:45pm and then I was done. Have been smoke free since 10-1-13.

I went with a program through work called ‘QuitNet.’ It involved using patches and having a coach. After about 10 days in, on a Sunday, I realized I hadn’t worn a patch since that Friday. On Monday when I talked to my coach and told her what I had done, she said that I might as well quit the patches (because they contained nicotine). I haven’t had a cigarette since.

The funny thing is, I’ve never had a craving (in fact, I hardly ever think about it) but, heading to my mom’s one day to check on her about 3 months ago, I found my hand in my shirt pocket. I just started :Lol: when I realized what I was doing.

Unlike my mom and other ex-smokers who can’t stand the smell of them, I do still like the smell of a freshly lit cig. At my daughter’s on Mother’s Day one of my nephews asked me to hold his smoke while he helped carry something into the house. I went to take it and then pulled my hand back. I had a feeling if I held it, I would probably take a drag and then would have been right back to smoking.

pack of Old Golds

Mine was Marlboro Red Box

x

HCSF said in an interview with Jim Rome:
https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/frost-highlights-from-his-jim-rome-interview

"In other news, Frost gave an update on the health status of outside linebackers coach Jovan Dewitt, who was away from the team for most of this spring undergoing treatment for throat cancer.

Frost said Dewitt continues to battle his way back each day.

“(DeWitt) is just starting to get involved again,” Frost said. “He was in my office this morning. Things look like they are going really well for him. Our prayers are with him, and we are going to do everything we can for him. "

I smoked for 26 years, until 1992 when I came down with the worst case of the flu I have ever had. I was sick for 3 days and didn’t smoke the whole time. Once I started feeling better I was heading out to the back patio to have a smoke and my youngest daughter said “You are already 3 days in – why don’t you just quit?” I couldn’t argue with her logic so I took the only pack of Old Golds I had left in the house, crushed them and tossed them in the trash. Have not smoked since.

Cigarettes smelled good to me for about a year, and I really missed the cigarette after a meal – but I held out. Today they hold no appeal to me, thank goodness.

I had pneumonia, snuck out of the hospital, and had a smoke. Snuck them back into the room. Since they were checking me for TB, I had a private, quarantined room....I actually smoked there. It is a tough thing once it gets a hold of you.

Last edited:

I had pneumonia, snuck out of the hospital, and had a smoke. Snuck them back into the room. Since they were checking me for TB, I had a private, quarantined room....I actually smoked there. It is a tough thing once it gets a hold of you.

Starting smoking during 2 months hospital stay, believe it or not. Used to be smoking area room inside hospital but obviously not any more.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back