• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Any Progress from the Offensive Line?

Maybe I watched a different game because that pass blocking was horrid.
Ethan Piper looked out of sorts and couldn't anchor. Got pushed back. Bo Wilson looked out of place on the right. I definitely see why Farniok was moved to interior. Piper can do some nice things pulling quick etc., but pass pro got lit up.

Every single pass attempt the pocket collapsed different. Makes it very difficult when 1 sec after snap the QB is already having to move to clean part of pocket and can't set feet for rhythm throws.

We saw the results. TEs wide open. WRs wide open.

Not sure it wouldn't be bad to keep Matt Farniok at center and get the jitters out at RG to go get some pancakes. Left guard if Turner Corcoran or xyz improves the line you play them.

Going back to the rear of the Pelini/Riley days how many quality players have we had get hurt, or not develop. Especially 3rd, 4th, 5th year guys that we were really depending on.

Seems to have been compounded by recruiting class number imbalances.

How many all conference or AA student athletes have we been in the top 3 in and haven't got the bounce. The monster right tackle that PJF pulled in.

We finally have a strength program back to a decent and improving spot. But a lot of these walk-ons need 3 years or even 4 to be a consistent high level contributor.

We finally have some talent at the skill positions but we got to give 2AM and LM time. And we also have to do more blowing people off the LOS when running. In any case our QBs only getting clean looks after scrambling is going to be a work in progress developing WRs and QB to sync when to break routes etc.

Keep a clean pocket for another half second and the success will go up exponentially. We couldn't go 1.5 secs for a ton of plays. I might go back and count.
I live 1,000 miles from lincoln and could swear I saw one of Jurgens snap land in my back yard, but then I knew it couldn't been since I didn't see an opposing lineman bursting through the gap in the neighbor's fence to pounce on it. Games are truly won in the trenches-and unfortunately the Huskers trenches are getting it handed to them.

Maybe I watched a different game because that pass blocking was horrid.
Ethan Piper looked out of sorts and couldn't anchor. Got pushed back. Bo Wilson looked out of place on the right. I definitely see why Farniok was moved to interior. Piper can do some nice things pulling quick etc., but pass pro got lit up.

Every single pass attempt the pocket collapsed different. Makes it very difficult when 1 sec after snap the QB is already having to move to clean part of pocket and can't set feet for rhythm throws.

We saw the results. TEs wide open. WRs wide open.

Not sure it wouldn't be bad to keep Matt Farniok at center and get the jitters out at RG to go get some pancakes. Left guard if Turner Corcoran or xyz improves the line you play them.

Going back to the rear of the Pelini/Riley days how many quality players have we had get hurt, or not develop. Especially 3rd, 4th, 5th year guys that we were really depending on.

Seems to have been compounded by recruiting class number imbalances.

How many all conference or AA student athletes have we been in the top 3 in and haven't got the bounce. The monster right tackle that PJF pulled in.

We finally have a strength program back to a decent and improving spot. But a lot of these walk-ons need 3 years or even 4 to be a consistent high level contributor.

We finally have some talent at the skill positions but we got to give 2AM and LM time. And we also have to do more blowing people off the LOS when running. In any case our QBs only getting clean looks after scrambling is going to be a work in progress developing WRs and QB to sync when to break routes etc.

Keep a clean pocket for another half second and the success will go up exponentially. We couldn't go 1.5 secs for a ton of plays. I might go back and count.

I didn't say the pass blocking was great, just better than I had seen in the previous three games. LM had several plays where he had time to look for open receivers and either didn't see them or couldn't deliver the ball on target. There were a couple times where LM rolled out, had plenty of time to throw, but again either couldn't see an open receiver or couldn't deliver the ball on target. Our offensive line is not particularly good at pass blocking, but that doesn't disguise the fact that LM is not a throwing QB, and IMO will never be good enough at it to effectively lead this offense. We have to have a QB who can deliver accurate balls short, intermediate, and deep. Right now neither LM or AM can do that. I hope Smothers can be that guy, or maybe they can find someone in the transfer portal, otherwise we may be screwed for the next couple years.

I thought Jurgens was supposed to have improved after last years Colorado game. I don't see it.

Seems like his snaps have been no better, and often the QB has to jump to get it and it throws the timing of the play off. If his foot or ankle is bothering him, someone healthy should be there instead.

We have to come back to the fact that he's never played center prior to last season. The snaps are going to be an issue his whole career. It's just not reasonable to expect that they go away. They'll improve over time but it's always going to be there.

I was blasted during the first game for hastily posting that I didn't think the offensive line had improved this year. I retracted that in a later post.
I am now wondering if the line has really improved all that much. Yesterday I saw whiffs, poor snaps, holds, and failure to maintain blocks. Is the line play holding us back, or is it just part of the overall collapse of this offense? Are they overwhelmed by numbers as the box is getting packed? I know there are good analysts on this board so I look forward to their comments.
All I will say is that there was ZERO pass protection for LM last week. It was pathetic.....

I didn't say the pass blocking was great, just better than I had seen in the previous three games. LM had several plays where he had time to look for open receivers and either didn't see them or couldn't deliver the ball on target. There were a couple times where LM rolled out, had plenty of time to throw, but again either couldn't see an open receiver or couldn't deliver the ball on target. Our offensive line is not particularly good at pass blocking, but that doesn't disguise the fact that LM is not a throwing QB, and IMO will never be good enough at it to effectively lead this offense. We have to have a QB who can deliver accurate balls short, intermediate, and deep. Right now neither LM or AM can do that. I hope Smothers can be that guy, or maybe they can find someone in the transfer portal, otherwise we may be screwed for the next couple years.
When these young receivers learn when and how to break off routes consistently when the play breaks into scramble drill, a la first year with SM and JD, the chunk plays will stack up. We had something off for sure with WR coaching last year.
These QBs have solid arms. Better than Gebbias from the games I stayed up late enough to see.
QBs and pass catchers have to sync is the point and it isn't just the QBs.
I am more worried about our line stepping up than QB 1a or 1b personally. Both of these QBs can be really effective from a clean pocket, not to mention smashing them off line repeatedly and taking the opponent's will in the run game.

In some defense of the offensive line players, I heard indirectly that our starting Iback last week was called out during the first half by one of the linemen. Apparently the Iback did not know what hole he was supposed to go to. That may explain why he would just run into the pile. Not totally unexpected for a very young player.

There were plays when AM had an hour to throw, and there were plays where an lineman didn't even engage the defender (like the sack fumble at the end)

the inconsistency is just maddening

Last edited:
I was blasted during the first game for hastily posting that I didn't think the offensive line had improved this year. I retracted that in a later post.
I am now wondering if the line has really improved all that much. Yesterday I saw whiffs, poor snaps, holds, and failure to maintain blocks. Is the line play holding us back, or is it just part of the overall collapse of this offense? Are they overwhelmed by numbers as the box is getting packed? I know there are good analysts on this board so I look forward to their comments.

the OL play we got in the second half of the year last year was clearly better.

I'm on board with replacing Austin. We've had 3 seasons and have had enormous struggles in working in new people each year. Yes, there's a lot of failure on the O, but he hasn't gotten it done

This offensive line played poorly today. Penalties, lousy snaps, and then blown blocks. This game could have been won.
Totally agree. Why our guard was in the game at the end is beyond me. He whiffed multiple times on DTs standing right in front of him. Especially on our last offensive play. Feel bad for the defense. They played well enough to win.

There were plays wewn AM had an hour to throw, and there were plays where an lineman didn't even engage the defender (like the sack fumble at the end)

the inconsistency is just maddening
I'm beginning to think Iowa was playing coverage and staying in their lanes not allowing AM a big run the times it appeared that AM had time to throw. In crunch time when Iowa wanted to pressure AM our OL folded like a cheap card table. The false starts, holding calls, bad snaps and complete whiffs from the OL during crucial situations has to stop. If Austin can't get this corrected he needs to be replaced.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back