• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Any Progress from the Offensive Line?

I was blasted during the first game for hastily posting that I didn't think the offensive line had improved this year. I retracted that in a later post.
I am now wondering if the line has really improved all that much. Yesterday I saw whiffs, poor snaps, holds, and failure to maintain blocks. Is the line play holding us back, or is it just part of the overall collapse of this offense? Are they overwhelmed by numbers as the box is getting packed? I know there are good analysts on this board so I look forward to their comments.
Our offensive Tackles are playing very poorly. Biggest issue with O-line right now. They are simply not athletic enough to keep u with good defenders.

Austin's just not getting it done, sorry to say. I hate to see former Huskers not pan out as coaches . . . but OL coach has to be right up there in terms of areas that need a shake-up. Too much confusion, missed assignments, standing around, etc.

At the end of the game yesterday, IL's four-man rush was killing us.
I want to see ex-Huskers succeed in coaching too, especially when they are coaching at NU. However, a valid argument could be made that Austin, Ruud, and Held are some of the weaker links on the staff. Austin and Held supposedly recruit well, but the lack of development and improvement has been atrocious. The best RB (Ozigbo) and Offensive Lineman (Farmer, Foster) in the Frost era were inherited Riley recruits.

I am not sure HCSF knows how to develop talent. We have not seen talent develop out the offense. We need someone to become the start and it is not the itty bitty committee. We have bigger Receivers and running backs and we need to use them. Small guys are not quick or elusive enough to make the B1G defense pay. We have been sold a bill of goods this staff is 10-18 and no looking to be better than 11or12 wins in 3 seasons. This performance is abysmal against a 1-3 team that had led for 3 seconds and we made the team look like it was 4-0.

I am not sure anything will change next and that seems to be the mantra we are still developing next year will be better. The cupboard is empty and nothing to build off of. It seems like this season is Qb right or QB left or QB draw with out of bubble screen. Where is the creativity this team was sold to the fans? It looks like a polished fool's gold.

I know you’re in a bad mood and I get it. Starting two redshirt freshmen and a converted tight end. Yes they are young. Our two seniors suck and have for a long time. All our returning experience is bad. The defensive backfield that everyone touted is weak as hell.

Let's face facts. Our OL coach is NOT getting it done. We absolutely suck. Can't snap the ball any better than a middle of the road high school team. We routinely, as witnessed yesterday, can't pass block. We just mindlessly miss assignments. And oh we commit penalties as if we don't give a damn. There is not a lack of talent but there is a lack of execution.

Austin needs to go at seasons end.

Austin's just not getting it done, sorry to say. I hate to see former Huskers not pan out as coaches . . . but OL coach has to be right up there in terms of areas that need a shake-up. Too much confusion, missed assignments, standing around, etc.

At the end of the game yesterday, IL's four-man rush was killing us.

Maybe he is focused too much on his new responsibilities as Run Game Coordinator that they stopped teaching pass blocking techniques?

Just kidding...sort of. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
We haven't had a decent offensive line since Fonuti and Raiola left! I just cant figure out why we dont go after a big time offensive line coach. We always seems to come up with guys no one has heard of. In TOs day we had two offensive line coaches. The position is way too important. Telling is the number of draft choices we have had on oline in the last decade! Very few. Instead of Nebraska ties, we need to go after the very best. Look at the teams that have excellent offensive lines like Wisconsin, Iowa, Alabama etc. Go after one of those guys! Even Matt Vrzal trains olinemen privately. Why not bring him in? The buddy system hasn't worked since Callahan days!!

Our offensive Tackles are playing very poorly. Biggest issue with O-line right now. They are simply not athletic enough to keep u with good defenders.
I did not watch the tackles, but I watched the game again yesterday and just watched Jurgens. He played very well. I was surprised. His "bad" snaps were really decent snaps that McCaffrey simply dropped. He whiffed on a couple blocks where he turned 90 degrees right after snapping and the defender shot the gap and wasn't there to seal, but those were extremely rare. He had good, solid blocks throughout the game and opened up nice running lanes multiple times. The hold on Scott's TD run was unfortunate because the defender shot the gap to Jurgen's left and took himself out of the play anyway. He should have just fell on the guy. :) I also watched our defensive line. I will post that as a new post.

I was blasted during the first game for hastily posting that I didn't think the offensive line had improved this year. I retracted that in a later post.
I am now wondering if the line has really improved all that much. Yesterday I saw whiffs, poor snaps, holds, and failure to maintain blocks. Is the line play holding us back, or is it just part of the overall collapse of this offense? Are they overwhelmed by numbers as the box is getting packed? I know there are good analysts on this board so I look forward to their comments.

I think its the numbers game in the box. There's no need to respect the passing game, so stack the box.

that being said, Frost has GOT to do SOMETHING to get this team playing more sound, fundamental football.

I did not watch the tackles, but I watched the game again yesterday and just watched Jurgens. He played very well. I was surprised. His "bad" snaps were really decent snaps that McCaffrey simply dropped. He whiffed on a couple blocks where he turned 90 degrees right after snapping and the defender shot the gap and wasn't there to seal, but those were extremely rare. He had good, solid blocks throughout the game and opened up nice running lanes multiple times. The hold on Scott's TD run was unfortunate because the defender shot the gap to Jurgen's left and took himself out of the play anyway. He should have just fell on the guy. :) I also watched our defensive line. I will post that as a new post.

The snap issues are very frustrating.

Everything about this team is frustrating.

I have been saying for two years now that our defensive backfield, which many seem to think is our strength, is extremely weak. They never have learned to look for the ball or even turn their head. Also, the talk about experience returning to the line is bogus. If all the experience is bad then what good does it do to have them return. CAN ANYONE FIND ANY GROUP ON THIS TEAM THST HAD IMPROVED? I will wait the answer on that.
Bootle has started 4 years now and has maybe 2 picks. He never looks back for the ball. Our back end is pretty underwhelming.

My biggest pet-peeve of our offensive line is watching lineman stand around while either QB scrambles or the running back is trying to shake off tacklers. Piper and Benhard are young and will get manhandled this year by veteran DL, however, to watch those 2, as well as, Jaimes and M Farinok as seniors stand around during plays is absolute BS effort and attitude. It gets me fired up mad.

When Frost was QB, he had lineman that had a go-to-work, get-the-job-done swagger about them. I really miss that.

I still think Jurgens is our best lineman, I constantly see him making his block and getting to the next level..... but he's gotta get those snaps under control though. It's priority #1.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back