• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Any coaches/psychologists out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But we have/had a running quarterback. That is the equalizer. There's a reason people use fullbacks at times. Evening the numbers is it, especially when the QB can credibly run and they have to account for him. If everyone hits their blocks, you should gain yards. Yes, that's an if. But so is everything in football. It won't happen every time, but it should happen more than 9 of 33 passing (27%) when every incomplete is zero yards (or six points for the other team).

I'm not saying revert to the option. I'm just saying it doesn't make sense to me to say, "Well, they stacked the box, so we're giving up on the run." Really? It's that easy for them? Just the *threat" makes us run it six times in the second half? Why not make them earn it? Even if you only get two yards per run and have to punt, you've burned a lot more clock than on three passes.

We ran the ball 24 times in the game. I think everyone knows if we'd run it 45 times, the score would not have been 62-3. It might've been 48-3, but that's a hell of a lot better. More likely, it would have been 34-9. Maybe 34-13. That's a respectable loss when you lose your QB and have a cattle call on O-line. Embarrassment means something. It hurts. And it can impact a team.

I hope we bounce back like Florida State did after getting annihilated by Louisville, but look at Michigan State or ND. Things can hit the skids pretty quickly when a team gets kicked around.

The O-coordinator needs to try to win, but if that's not going to happen, there's something to be said for making it respectable, even if it means deviating from your "style" or "plan," and what I'm trying to understand is why everyone seems to agree on that, but the O-coordinator. Every analyst. Every armchair coach. Every beat writer is saying the same thing. They wouldn't be if we'd run the ball 40 times and lost 34-13.
People use fullbacks to create another gap, not evening the numbers. If your center is getting crossed, guard is tripping to second level, and your TE can't make a seal block when the guy is playing inside of them, a fullback creating an extra gap who has brought another guy in the box is of zero value.

Now, if we want to talk about how we should have stuck with the running game more to keep it close that's fine. But a fullback was solving nothing Saturday night.

Last edited:

People use fullbacks to create another gap, not evening the numbers. If your center is getting crossed, guard is tripping to second level, and your TE can't make a seal block when the guy is playing inside of them, a fullback creating an extra gap who has brought another guy in the box is of zero value.

Now, if we want to talk about how we should have stuck with the running game more to keep it close that's fine. But a fullback was solving nothing Saturday night.
That all assumes your guys are getting beat every time and my point is that while our O-line was clearly outclassed, we didn't give ourselves a chance to establish any run in the second half, even if only to eat clock, which the D needed. There are also plenty of other things we could have run to beat their scheme besides abandoning the run entirely and airing it out.

I've vented. It didn't happen. But I'm sure that if we had kept and even run to pass ratio the game would not have ended in quite so lopsided a fashion.

On to Minnesota and hoepfully 10-2.

That all assumes your guys are getting beat every time and my point is that while our O-line was clearly outclassed, we didn't give ourselves a chance to establish any run in the second half, even if only to eat clock, which the D needed. There are also plenty of other things we could have run to beat their scheme besides abandoning the run entirely and airing it out.

I've vented. It didn't happen. But I'm sure that if we had kept and even run to pass ratio the game would not have ended in quite so lopsided a fashion.

On to Minnesota and hoepfully 10-2.
I'm with you, would have liked to see us stay with the run. Especially since we went to the pass without anything really working. This one just got away from us and Urban decided to let everyone know.

I'm with you, would have liked to see us stay with the run. Especially since we went to the pass without anything really working. This one just got away from us and Urban decided to let everyone know.

I don't think anyone here would be ok with just giving up in the 3rd quarter and running clock just to keep the score respectable. But you just felt like the offense needed something to get going, even just a couple of first downs. You can't even think about coming back down by 28 points until you get a little positive momentum. I would've liked to see a drive that involved more runs and short throws, just to see if they could get a first down. The chuck it up there on the fade route got infuriating very quickly.

I don't think anyone here would be ok with just giving up in the 3rd quarter and running clock just to keep the score respectable. But you just felt like the offense needed something to get going, even just a couple of first downs. You can't even think about coming back down by 28 points until you get a little positive momentum. I would've liked to see a drive that involved more runs and short throws, just to see if they could get a first down. The chuck it up there on the fade route got infuriating very quickly.
Three short routes and a long one... we throw to the fade:

I guess there isn't a book out there what gameplan to run when you are getting your clock cleaned! When you can't run or throw and the defense can't stop the other team from running or throwing. Kind of a hopeless situation

I'm really mad at myself for watching that.
lol - kind of crazy. But then again, you don't expect Fyfe to be ready to roll there. He had single coverage for a fade or single coverage on Carter where his guy was going to get picked. He chose the "safer" play and the ball should have been caught.

I guess there isn't a book out there what gameplan to run when you are getting your clock cleaned! When you can't run or throw and the defense can't stop the other team from running or throwing. Kind of a hopeless situation

And that pretty much sums it up.

lol - kind of crazy. But then again, you don't expect Fyfe to be ready to roll there. He had single coverage for a fade or single coverage on Carter where his guy was going to get picked. He chose the "safer" play and the ball should have been caught.

And Carter was open but Fyfe would have had a defender right in his face had he tried to throw that direction so not sure it would have mattered. Everyone else was well covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back