• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Any Chance of Going Dancing? > No Postseason this year

The point is each season is new unto itself. NU had a lot of late season success and some momentum off of that but … theres still the transfer portal, NIL … no one could’ve predicted the contributions some of the kids provided down the stretch. NU still finished 11th in the conference, had a losing conference record, stand to have significant roster churn and they still play in arguably the toughest conference in the nation.
Playing better and winning more games late in the year is a better season than a team that has an identical record and won most of the games early. It reflects good coaching and coach able players. You have to twist yourself into knots to make that detail into a negatI’ve.

In Power 5 conferences, you don’t get to put up the three worst years in the history of your program and not get it held against you. Those three years still happened. If that would have happened anywhere else that takes basketball seriously, he would have been let go after year 3. It’s Nebraska though, I get it. We clearly don’t care enough.

The way college basketball is trending, you almost have to manage your roster like a GM. I’m hoping Fred’s GM experience can help him get this right. I will also say that Fred hired an absolute rock star on his staff. Nate Loenser is lights out. Guy has a bright future and I think he played a pretty large part in Nebraska being more competitive this year.
Thats a fair point
However, he was given chance to reset with new assistants and change his philosphy starting this year. If we are going to go that route as opposed to starting over with a new coach, then we need to evaluate him over new 3 year period and give him time to see where that goes. Using the first 3 years against him, prior to the reset doesnt give the reset a chance to work. If you're going to continue to use the years prior to the resent to evaluate him going forward, you might as well bring in a new coach. The reset should be given time, otherwise dont do it.

Last edited:
Playing better and winning more games late in the year is a better season than a team that has an identical record and won most of the games early. It reflects good coaching and coach able players. You have to twist yourself into knots to make that detail into a negatI’ve.
My point is projecting next year based upon the ending of this year is fraught with significant potholes.

College basketball with the transfer portal, early departures for the NBA and NIL is so different year-over-year. Last year's National Champion runner-up is not even in the field of 68 this year!

I am suggesting that Hoiberg's good coaching, having coach-able players and the strong finish to the year means very little when projecting next year. Especially considering 11 of the 14 teams from the B1G are playing post-season basketball.

Not making it into a negatI’ve ... I am suggesting that it is not necessarily a harbinger of things to come next season. Lets see what next year's roster looks like before buying tickets to next year's first round of the NCAA.

Last edited:

My point is projecting next year based upon the ending of this year is fraught with significant potholes.

College basketball with the transfer portal, early departures for the NBA and NIL is so different year-over-year. Last year's National Champion runner-up is not even in the field of 68 this year!

I am suggesting that Hoiberg's good coaching, having coach-able players and the strong finish to the year means very little when projecting next year. Especially considering 11 of the 14 teams from the B1G are playing post-season basketball.

Not making it into a negatI’ve ... I am suggesting that it is not necessarily a harbinger of things to come next season. Lets see what next year's roster looks like before buying tickets to next year's first round of the NCAA.
Who is buying tickets to the NCAA tournament?

He has to restock his roster with players good enough to win in the Big 10.

I’m responding to posts that urged caution over the fact that the team won games late in the season, and after starters were injured. That accomplishment is an unvarnished Good Sign.

I’m worried that Tominaga’s exuberant spirit will be hard to replace. His joy for the game had a lot to do with this teams’s common character and resilience.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back