• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Any cause for concern?

This is the reality of the fish tank bubble we live in today. Instant-everything and news can create itself. A funny tweet, or offhand comment gets gobbled up by the media until there's a tidal wave of "news" crashing down that some kid is leaving or committing or whatever. And you know what, impressionable 19 year olds might see all that white noise and interpret it as a sign of what they should/shouldn't do. It's the tail wagging the dog.

That whole element is the biggest difference in our 1990s team and today. It's the same for any team, really, but back then you never had to worry about whether Jason Peter was going to defect to Oklahoma, etc. Kids in general were just isolated so much more from the non-stop beatdown of news cycles and ESPN watching their every move. Back then, you played football because you wanted to be a tough guy, get a scholarship, gain an education and maybe take some snaps at the next level. Today, kids crave the fame and attention as much as the game itself.

Heck, just look at Ameer Abdullah's Instagram feed. And I say that absolutely LOVING Ameer, but the guy posts nonstop about his fashion choices and new rides and shoes. About 10% of it is football related. Sure, he's also earned that right/privilege by his performance on the field, so more power to him. But don't tell me young kids aren't looking at guys like that and thinking success means a million followers while you show off a new Escalade or your shoe deal.

Grant Wistrom didn't come to Nebraska for a shoe deal. Tommie Frazier didn't come to Nebraska for social media likes. And Brook Berringer sure as hell didn't come here to make a fashion statement.

Motivations have changed for kids in the 2010s and 2020s. We've got to find a way to help them tune out the white noise or adapt to their level.

This is the negativity from our fans that impacts this program. Whoever GBR is needs to turn in his twitter handle. What kind of real fan says that for the world to see?! Tired of these whiney fans constantly thinking this program is doomed
Go read message boards from other schools.... you'll see that negativity is everywhere. In reality, we are quite civilized compared to others.

I'm guessing WR dad and family are just venting their frustration with this season... as are most of us. Sounds like they are still N

Last edited:
This is the reality of the fish tank bubble we live in today. Instant-everything and news can create itself. A funny tweet, or offhand comment gets gobbled up by the media until there's a tidal wave of "news" crashing down that some kid is leaving or committing or whatever. And you know what, impressionable 19 year olds might see all that white noise and interpret it as a sign of what they should/shouldn't do. It's the tail wagging the dog.

That whole element is the biggest difference in our 1990s team and today. It's the same for any team, really, but back then you never had to worry about whether Jason Peter was going to defect to Oklahoma, etc. Kids in general were just isolated so much more from the non-stop beatdown of news cycles and ESPN watching their every move. Back then, you played football because you wanted to be a tough guy, get a scholarship, gain an education and maybe take some snaps at the next level. Today, kids crave the fame and attention as much as the game itself.

Heck, just look at Ameer Abdullah's Instagram feed. And I say that absolutely LOVING Ameer, but the guy posts nonstop about his fashion choices and new rides and shoes. About 10% of it is football related. Sure, he's also earned that right/privilege by his performance on the field, so more power to him. But don't tell me young kids aren't looking at guys like that and thinking success means a million followers while you show off a new Escalade or your shoe deal.

Grant Wistrom didn't come to Nebraska for a shoe deal. Tommie Frazier didn't come to Nebraska for social media likes. And Brook Berringer sure as hell didn't come here to make a fashion statement.

Motivations have changed for kids in the 2010s and 2020s. We've got to find a way to help them tune out the white noise or adapt to their level.
back in my day we had to wait for the weekly sunday addition of the newspaper to find out if we won or lost

back in my day we had to wait for the weekly sunday addition of the newspaper to find out if we won or lost

"back in Pops' day"

download.jpg

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back