• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Any Birders On Here?

I rejoined NOU last year. whooper yard bird would be tremendous. I’m guessing I’d recognize your name IRL…pretty small birding community in NE. If you see any this spring, PM me PLEASE! Whooper is #1 on my wish list in 2022! I’ll send you my contact info if you wish. What is the best week for Whoopers? We havent gotten lucky the past few years in March, although we missed one at Rowe had we gone into the early blind in 2019.

I’m also about 95% to buy a camera and get into photography this year. Need the capability to ID and document. Definitely interested in recommendations. I’m thinking mirrorless..Canon R5, R6, Sony a7 iV type range…but welcome any recommendations for ultrazoom/bridge to mirrorless. I want a bridge to start, but the problem I keep hearing is AF isnt fast or good enough on those. Realized quickly that this is not a cheap proposition…

I ended the year #13 in Nebraska at 276 species for 2021. I moved up to #31 all time with 317. Of course, this excludes anyone who isnt on eBird or hides their lists. 89 new NE birds in 2021…far exceeding anything I thought would be possible, given the limitations of living out of state and having a full time job…most of the top birders are retired and can go out all the time.

My last lifer was a Winter Wren at Schramm the other day. #75th new lifer in 2021, #350 total! after i had gotten going, I was hoping to get to 250 total in NE, and exceeded that by 67. 291 year overall. Best year of birding ever.
I've been very fortunate in seeing Whoopers. I currently live in Burwell, NE but have seen them near Kearney before I retired. I have photos of a group of ten of them near here and have had the opportunity to catch photos of them on 4 or 5 occasions. The last opportunity was in October of 20. If you would PM me your phone, I'd be happy to give you a call if I would be so fortunate to experience a sighting.

If you want to see an example of my stuff, I just now posted a couple photos of a Yellow Bellied Sapsucker on the Nebraska Birds group on Facebook.

I've been very fortunate in seeing Whoopers. I currently live in Burwell, NE but have seen them near Kearney before I retired. I have photos of a group of ten of them near here and have had the opportunity to catch photos of them on 4 or 5 occasions. The last opportunity was in October of 20. If you would PM me your phone, I'd be happy to give you a call if I would be so fortunate to experience a sighting.

If you want to see an example of my stuff, I just now posted a couple photos of a Yellow Bellied Sapsucker on the Nebraska Birds group on Facebook.
Nice shots. I still havent seen a YBSA! I’ll send you a PM.

20220220_212405.jpg

northern saw whet owl. Moorehead Park, Ida Grove IA.

picture makes it look big...only about a hand-sized bird the size of a robin.

First new NE bird of the year, I finally got my nemesis the Yellow Bellied Sapsucker. Now, I’m not sure what the most common on my hit list #318 NE.

There was a golden crowned sparrow out near ogallala this past week, it has hung around, but nobody has reported it for 3 days,

Update….May 1 189 NE species for the year, #5 on ebird. 5 new NE birds for the year so far.

Just saw the rarest bird of the year for me thus far…worm eating warbler. About 50 or so documented reports in NE. Last time I saw one was 1983. Lot of people got to see it.

First state record of a limpkin in both NE and IA this week. Wehrspann mitigation pond in Omaha. I got to see it this afternoon, pic below.

Range map is typically Argentina to Florida. Someone alerted us a week ago that there were sightings in KS and to be on the lookout where there are invasive apple snails (Chinese Mystery Snails) . Wehrspann is one of those spots in NE. Somebody went looking and found one yesterday...lot of people going to see it, fortunately it hasnt gotten spooked.

If you are at one of these lakes…take a look in the emergent vegetation near the shore.

They have been found in several reservoirs in Nebraska including: Fremont State Lake #3, Wehrspann, Pawnee, Walnut Creek, Holmes, Wagon Train, Wild Plum, Branched Oak, Mahoney State Park, Hitchcock Park, Biology Pond in Crete, Hedgefield, Halleck Park in Papillon, Big Blue River and the Missouri River near Sioux City.

7790A7DC-F97F-4C3C-BF14-CEB7E75574EF.jpeg

Last edited:

291. my buddy hit 300 this week. We are headed to the panhandle this weekend so hopefully I can hit 300 too. Might be a stretch, I see 7 likely.

Saw a Tananger, ruby breasted gross beak, red finches and black capped chickadees at my daughters sharing her feeder.
The chickadees let ne get within 4 feet.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back