• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Any Birders On Here?

Had a bunch of Trumpeters in a pond on the way to my daughters 2-3weeks ago before freeze up, counted over 40.
This morning the big Pileated woodpecker was thumping the old Ash tree, long dead from a storm in the woods in the yard, and he stayed put.
The younger/smaller ones arent so brave.

Two Christmas bird counts this past weekend and a trip to N. Platte today.

Highlights from Yankton CBC:

Golden Eagle
Glaucous Gull (lifer)
100K Snow Geese total for entire count. One giant flock spread for miles flying upriver.

N. Platte
Pine Warblers (pair, lifer)
Barrow’s Goldeneye (lifer)
Townsend’s Solitaire

I hit 275 NE birds for the year. Best year ever…until next year.

Might be able to get a few more.

Had a bunch of Trumpeters in a pond on the way to my daughters 2-3weeks ago before freeze up, counted over 40.
This morning the big Pileated woodpecker was thumping the old Ash tree, long dead from a storm in the woods in the yard, and he stayed put.
The younger/smaller ones arent so brave.
Still have not actually seen a Pileated. Had them 5-10x this year: all ID’d by drumming.

Still have not actually seen a Pileated. Had them 5-10x this year: all ID’d by drumming.
Any sunny warming day in dying tree areas.
Its been single digits morning heading towards low 20s and I guess it brings out the bugs, but warming sun on tree trunk must get them active, and the birds are there.

Two Christmas bird counts this past weekend and a trip to N. Platte today.

Highlights from Yankton CBC:

Golden Eagle
Glaucous Gull (lifer)
100K Snow Geese total for entire count. One giant flock spread for miles flying upriver.

N. Platte
Pine Warblers (pair, lifer)
Barrow’s Goldeneye (lifer)
Townsend’s Solitaire

I hit 275 NE birds for the year. Best year ever…until next year.

Might be able to get a few more.
What is the difference between the Harrows goldeneye and the common goldeneye? I cannot remember as I never thought I would hear or see one.

What is the difference between the Harrows goldeneye and the common goldeneye? I cannot remember as I never thought I would hear or see one.
Adult male Barrows has a larger white crescent on the face, more black with white pattern on the wings and a black ‘spur’ on the shoulder. Head color is purple vs green, but that can be tough to see. I was lucky enough to pick this one out almost immediately with binocs when we pulled up to the flock. I saw a couple of goldeneyes and it was the second one I looked at, crescent and spur were evident immediately.

98785B6D-3916-4E59-A7BC-205BD4F0ED8E.jpeg

I don't usually frequent the Cafe so didn't realize this thread existed. My wife and I have been interested in birding for at least 40 years. We're members of NOU (Nebraska Ornithological Union) and also like to photograph birds. I have a file of about 300 different species. We've been on birding excursions to Texas, Arizona, Wyoming and California as well as Nebraska, South Dakota and Kansas. I would still consider my status as amateur even though I do have quite a lot of experience.

My avatar is a photo I took this last spring of one of a pair of Whooping Cranes that landed in a field next to my home. Not a lot of folks can claim a Whooper as a "yard bird"! :p

What happened to the MABC? Haven't seen his posts in quite awhile?

Last edited:

I don't usually frequent the Cafe so didn't realize this thread existed. My wife and I have been interested in birding for at least 40 years. We're members of NOU (Nebraska Ornithological Union) and also like to photograph birds. I have a file of about 300 different species. We've been on birding excursions to Texas, Arizona, Wyoming and California as well as Nebraska, South Dakota and Kansas. I would still consider my status as amateur even though I do have quite a lot of experience.

My avatar is a photo I took this last spring of one of a pair of Whooping Cranes that landed in a field next to my home. Not a lot of folks can claim a Whooper as a "yard bird"! :p
I rejoined NOU last year. whooper yard bird would be tremendous. I’m guessing I’d recognize your name IRL…pretty small birding community in NE. If you see any this spring, PM me PLEASE! Whooper is #1 on my wish list in 2022! I’ll send you my contact info if you wish. What is the best week for Whoopers? We havent gotten lucky the past few years in March, although we missed one at Rowe had we gone into the early blind in 2019.

I’m also about 95% to buy a camera and get into photography this year. Need the capability to ID and document. Definitely interested in recommendations. I’m thinking mirrorless..Canon R5, R6, Sony a7 iV type range…but welcome any recommendations for ultrazoom/bridge to mirrorless. I want a bridge to start, but the problem I keep hearing is AF isnt fast or good enough on those. Realized quickly that this is not a cheap proposition…

I ended the year #13 in Nebraska at 276 species for 2021. I moved up to #31 all time with 317. Of course, this excludes anyone who isnt on eBird or hides their lists. 89 new NE birds in 2021…far exceeding anything I thought would be possible, given the limitations of living out of state and having a full time job…most of the top birders are retired and can go out all the time.

My last lifer was a Winter Wren at Schramm the other day. #75th new lifer in 2021, #350 total! after i had gotten going, I was hoping to get to 250 total in NE, and exceeded that by 67. 291 year overall. Best year of birding ever.

Any sunny warming day in dying tree areas.
Its been single digits morning heading towards low 20s and I guess it brings out the bugs, but warming sun on tree trunk must get them active, and the birds are there.
Heard two at Neale Woods in Omaha last week. They responded to playback by doing a flyby and giving me great looks. My buddy got some flight pics. They are freaking huge! Awesome birds. Finally!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back