• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

Any Birders On Here?

Woodhead

A bump on a log
Nope, LOL. She said the same thing.

'You spend $50 on a bottle of bourbon'

When the birds start doing chores, paying the bills, etc. I won't shake my head when she pays $25 on a bag of bird seed.

Makes her happy, so it's worth it.

Allegedly.
Oh, they are paying a bill for you, entertainment for your wife you now not need do.

FeelLikeAStranger

How are ya now?
20 Year Member
Added 2 more recently, pair of Mute Swans and Yellow Crowned Night Heron, which I saw first east of Oskaloosa Iowa, and then again near Wahoo for NE.

Wild mute swans are a true rarity In NE. These are the introduced swans that were placed in parks across the country. wild populations emerged. There are only two accepted reports in the state of NE previously. These have the hallmarks of wild, non-domesticated, free flying birds and should be accepted by the committee, I assume. Well documented in pics.

CO4NU

All Legend
10 Year Member
Really the only birding I was ever into.

images.jpeg

FeelLikeAStranger

How are ya now?
20 Year Member
2 more recent additions. Buff Breasted Sandpiper on a sod farm near Mead a week or two ago, and Cattle Egrets on Wehrspann mitigation pond today.

There are/were a couple of scissor tailed flycatchers near the 275-30 interchange near Fremont. Here’s an immature from last weekend.

The two mute swans are now at Ponca State Park.

Attachments

• FB1BA7E4-FF14-4547-9758-941E01D9A771.jpeg
    FB1BA7E4-FF14-4547-9758-941E01D9A771.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

FeelLikeAStranger

How are ya now?
20 Year Member
Finally did a trip out to the panhandle. About 14 new NE birds including #300 for NE with a Northern Mockingbird. Two weeks late for some stuff, little early for others. Almost at 250 for the year, something I hadnt contemplated trying to do.

FeelLikeAStranger

How are ya now?
20 Year Member
If you want to see migrating hawks, pelicans etc, the hawk watch tower at Hitchcock Nature Center near Crescent, IA is open. I know the guy doing the surveys this year…amazing birder. He‘s up there every day from about 7AM.

sharp shinned hawks, merlin, broad winged hawks, coopers hawks, pelicans, bald eagle, mississippi kites, 400+ red headed woodpeckers in a day, warblers, etc thus far

FeelLikeAStranger

How are ya now?
20 Year Member
Some of you hunters may be more interested in waterfowl. There were 7 adult male white winged scoters at Kramper Lake in Dakota Co NE today. Really cool to see them fly by and on the water.

But…I missed the female Black Scoter I went to see by <15min.

Smith’s Longspur (lifer, really good NE bird…tough to find) and 2 surprise Snow Buntings were the other highlights.

2nd and 3

You can call me Ernie or Big Ern...
2 Year Member
Some of you hunters may be more interested in waterfowl. There were 7 adult male white winged scoters at Kramper Lake in Dakota Co NE today. Really cool to see them fly by and on the water.

But…I missed the female Black Scoter I went to see by <15min.

Smith’s Longspur (lifer, really good NE bird…tough to find) and 2 surprise Snow Buntings were the other highlights.
I thought scoters were salt water ducks?

NorthwoodHusker

All American
2 Year Member
Osprey sitting big lake side, later eagle in red pine 2 days ago.
Yesterday, pileated woodpecker on ash tree 7 feet from picture window.
The trumpeters are still around!!

FeelLikeAStranger

How are ya now?
20 Year Member
I thought scoters were salt water ducks?
Typically but during migration they spread out all over at bigger inland bodies of water. Reports also from Lincoln area today.

At Gavins Pt today we had all 3 scoters…surf, black and white winged…in the same general group in two different spots. Long-Tailed duck from the dam was a lifer for me as was the Black Scoter.

Other water birds today: mallard, redhead, lesser scaup, greater scaup (new NE bird) hooded merganser, red breasted merganser, snow goose, greater white fronted goose, canada goose, American Avocets, red necked grebe, pied biled grebe, ring billed gulls and one herring gull.

Also the pair of wild mute swans near that has been around the area from Jackson WTP to Ponca State Park to Lake Yankton since August (See above) at Weigand.

FeelLikeAStranger

How are ya now?
20 Year Member
I didnt get to see either, but there were ~60 Whooping Cranes near Alda this past weekend (just left) and red throated loon at Gavins Pt. Pacific loons have been showing up around Lincoln area as well.

FeelLikeAStranger

How are ya now?
20 Year Member
There’s a minor irruption of snowy owls in iowa and NE right now. More reported in Iowa thus far. This one was reported on Wed SW of Kelley. I found it a couple miles away the following day, scanning the fields for white things that werent plastic bags. One on pivots in Saunders Co this week as well.

Also got to see a couple of Townsend‘s Solitaires near Ames that have been hanging around for over a week. Good bird for W Nebraska, let alone central Iowa.

Visit the Sports Illustrated Husker site

GET TICKETS

Save 10 percent or more on gas.