• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Anthony Grant Suspended

Cycle of Nebraska fans.
1. Players are not being held accountable, coach needs to set the tone.
2. Player X is not meeting the standard and sitting out. What is going on?
3. Player X is our best player at Y position why is he not playing?
4. Player x leaves team because he does not meet standard. Why do our coaches chase away the best players?
5. End of season. See step 1.

As sure as the three alt uniform threads in the off season. This cycle will be repeated.

Grant is a very average back. There are hundreds of guys just like him. Not a lot of difference amongst average backs. Plug and play. I wasn’t overly blown away by him. He’s a good player, but nowhere near an elite player. You have to do what you’re supposed to do to remain eligible. Apparently, he hasn’t. If he doesn’t come back, it’s not a huge loss. I think Ervin is better. Didn’t see enough of Allen to judge. I think NU will be just fine in this area.

Last edited:

Cycle of Nebraska fans.
1. Players are not being held accountable, coach needs to set the tone.
2. Player X is not meeting the standard and sitting out. What is going on?
3. Player X is our best player at Y position why is he not playing?
4. Player x leaves team because he does not meet standard. Why do our coaches chase away the best players?
5. End of season. See step 1.

As sure as the three alt uniform threads in the off season. This cycle will be repeated.
I’m curious as to which cycle you see playing out in this thread, as I see none of these things occurring.

Grant is a very average back. There are hundreds of guys just like him. Not a lot of difference amongst average packs. Plug and play. I wasn’t over ally blown away by him. He’s a good player, but nowhere near an elite player. You have to do what you’re supposed to do to remain eligible. Apparently, he hasn’t. If he doesn’t come back, it’s not a huge loss. I think Ervin is better. Didn’t see enough of Allen to judge. I think NU will be just fine in this area.
Idk, Grant has alot of talent. If this staff can get him to hit the right gap and use some of that wiggle and elusivenes at the the right time in that gap, he'd be an all american imo.
Though, I do agree that a kid has to do what they are supposed to.

Last edited:
Agreed. I wonder how much of that was necessitated by poor O-line performance.
He did dance too much and try and bounce things outside too much. He was always trying to break the big play.

Even Sam M. Thinks so.

Anthony Grant’s sluggish finish to 2022 opened the door to a fierce running back competition: After bolting for 115 yards against Minnesota’s D, Grant had 41 carries for 57 yards over the final three contests. He danced too much in all three contests, trying to get 15 yards and losing two instead of slamming into a hole for four. Rahmir Johnson and Gabe Ervin — oddly disfavored last season after strong work in 2021 — will push Grant as Ajay Allen gets to 100%.

Never ideal, but you have to expect that some are struggling with new demands.

When you have over 100 guys competing for a position, there will always be a few who are struggling with academics/off-field stuff.

Now, it's about how he (Grant) and Hill respond to what's being asked of them. Don't want to pull your weight? Next man up.

I have more faith in Grant than I do with Hill at this time.
Exactly on target!

Idk, Grant has alot of talent. If this staff can get him to hit the right gap and use some of that wiggle and elusivenes at the the right time in that gap, he'd be an all american imo.
He isn’t fast enough. He’s not an all American type of back. He has some ability, not suggesting otherwise, but he isn’t a world class back. There are dozens and dozens of backs just like him. When you have a difference maker, they really stand out. He isn’t that. That said, I hope he makes it back, probably going to need some depth.

He isn’t fast enough. He’s not an all American type of back. He has some ability, not suggesting otherwise, but he isn’t a world class back. There are dozens and dozens of backs just like him. When you have a difference maker, they really stand out. He isn’t that. That said, I hope he makes it back, probably going to need some depth.
That's fair. Will need the depth most definitely. Allen in the small sample size looks to be a natural runner....might fit what Rhule wants to do most. Good one cut and go back.

Think if Grant is willing, he will improve in playing and conduct...and think he's worth it. ;)

I liked what I saw of Grant early. But he's being dumb here. Rahmir, Ervin and Allen are stiff competition as it is. Hoping he can get his act together

Like most of us here, I have no idea what is happening on the other side of the door. I wonder if HCMRhule is setting a tone early about what is expected. I don't think the Grant thing was manufactured by HCMRhule but he might have used someone on the edge to lay down some expectations and culture.

On Grant's play. Yup, he seemed to change as the season dragged on last year and not in a good way. I hope he gets back soon and maybe better coaching will turn him into a better version of his earlier play.

Like most of us here, I have no idea what is happening on the other side of the door. I wonder if HCMRhule is setting a tone early about what is expected. I don't think the Grant thing was manufactured by HCMRhule but he might have used someone on the edge to lay down some expectations and culture.

On Grant's play. Yup, he seemed to change as the season dragged on last year and not in a good way. I hope he gets back soon and maybe better coaching will turn him into a better version of his earlier play.

Did he change, or did defenses just learn how to stop him? Injuries and o-line play may have been factors too.

Either way, I hope for his sake he’s able to pull it all together (and for our sake too - even if he doesn’t start, it’d be great to have him for quality depth!)

Nice to see standards set and then - the real key - upheld.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back