• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Anthony Grant has star potential

I like Grant a lot, but at this point we should not be considering him even close to the players you just named. In fact, I would consider him to be closer to Deangelo Evans. In fact SF made reference to how some fans want to retire his jersey. Some fans either don't know good football or have really short memories.
Agree he is not yet shown enough to be at those guys level. I was only using them as examples of running style, vision, and the ability to cut.

Agree he is not yet shown enough to be at those guys level. I was only using them as examples of running style, vision, and the ability to cut.
I am optimistic that if we commit more to the run he is going to be better. Not only do I think he will do better but the line opened some pretty impressive holes after half time.

lol, now I know where the poster saying Grant is the best since AA got that from.. he heard it on Carriker Chronicles

Take away AAs run we may have lost

You know, that clip makes me feel guilty. I was never the biggest AA fan; I liked him all right, but sometimes I think people would praise AA and tend to discount and forget other players like Helu. But that was a brilliant play, even if it was against an FCS team. It was a huge effort to get to the first down marker (a 3rd & 6 play where we probably don't for a conversion on fourth down and go to overtime). But not only does he defy fate and break tackles and juke a number of players to get the first, but he finds and runs to daylight and ends the game! Another fantastic play was his willing his way to a first down against Northwestern so Kellogg had the chance to throw the Hail Mary to Westerkamp!

Moving the goal posts I see

Using your criteria Roy Helu on his record breaking 307 yards rushing vs Missouri would have not had a very good day based on his TD runs of 66, 73 and 53 or 192 of his 307 yards

The great backs have the long runs in among the 4 and 5 yard pops with Ahman Green and Lawrence Phillips just a couple of examples

Bottom line 19 carries 101 yards and 5.1 per pop

Not really sure why you are trying to down grade him?
Yes! You can talk your way out of anything by subtracting out the big runs to the point where you can argue you should never run the ball. The big plays are often the result of the repetition of running a lot of plays until you do break one. I think if you chart Northwestern's running game against us, they were pretty marginally effective early, but their running backs got more effective as the game progressed. Yes, you have to sustain drives. But I like Casey Thompson on third and long in ways I have seldom been comfortable with many of our QBs in the past. So CT gives us the ability to keep after the run game and improve its effectiveness.

Yes! You can talk your way out of anything by subtracting out the big runs to the point where you can argue you should never run the ball. The big plays are often the result of the repetition of running a lot of plays until you do break one. I think if you chart Northwestern's running game against us, they were pretty marginally effective early, but their running backs got more effective as the game progressed. Yes, you have to sustain drives. But I like Casey Thompson on third and long in ways I have seldom been comfortable with many of our QBs in the past. So CT gives us the ability to keep after the run game and improve its effectiveness.

Yup well said and I agree on all

So did you see my analysis of the breakdown of his runs or are you ok with a RB who averages 2.3 ypg and has one 48 yard run. Don't get me wrong, I think he is a good RB and will probably have a great year, but to call his NW game a good game is proving that some people just don't understand football at all anymore.
Maybe you should go to the front page and see Doc Z's breakdown. According to him. He did those amazing runs when the Oline was beat. Also he has not had a loss. That is impressive for any RB.

Maybe you should go to the front page and see Doc Z's breakdown. According to him. He did those amazing runs when the Oline was beat. Also he has not had a loss. That is impressive for any RB.
That is true. Which is why I have such optimism for him. But to pretend that the NW game was amazing because he had 100 yards is really pedantic. BTW Doc's analysis is against ND. Again we are talking NW.

Last edited:

He's obviously an NFL back. I knew he had wiggle, but I didn't expect him to be so physical, and I definitely didn't expect him to have that sort of breakaway speed. He's had freakshow runs a little like Mo Washington except he actually has muscle to bang.

Speaking as a former running back, I absolutely, with zero hesitation, put him in the camp of Burkhead (very similar runner when you watch his vision and jump cuts) in terms of talent. But he has breakaway speed that neither Rex nor Ameer possessed. He also looks pretty reliable as a passcatcher. The kid is an absolute steal and easily the best player on our team.

I'm pretty dang happy with the transfers in general. Thompson and Grant make a pretty formidable backfield.

He's obviously an NFL back. I knew he had wiggle, but I didn't expect him to be so physical, and I definitely didn't expect him to have that sort of breakaway speed. He's had freakshow runs a little like Mo Washington except he actually has muscle to bang.

Speaking as a former running back, I absolutely, with zero hesitation, put him in the camp of Burkhead (very similar runner when you watch his vision and jump cuts) in terms of talent. But he has breakaway speed that neither Rex nor Ameer possessed. He also looks pretty reliable as a passcatcher. The kid is an absolute steal and easily the best player on our team.

I'm pretty dang happy with the transfers in general. Thompson and Grant make a pretty formidable backfield.
Lets hope Trey tries to prove you wrong

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back