• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Another Offseason Poll

What Is the Top Thing You Want to See this Fall?

• Improved O-line play

Votes: 39 63.9%
  • Heavier reliance on RBs

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Improved QB play

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • Improved ST play

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • Larger stadium seats

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters
O-line play easily without a doubt. Martinez was pressured on 47% of his drop backs last season which was the most in the nation but somehow averaged 8.9 yards per attempt which was 4th in the country. Imagine a good OL with those numbers

• Consistently black uniforms.
  • Stomping the bejeezus out of KSU in a bowl game.
  • Restoration of the single-platoon system.
  • Corn crops in the endzones. Think Field of Dreams.
  • Turbo charged, jet propelled footballs. Let's see some new FG length records!
  • Bo Pelini in the HOF as a podcaster.
  • Adopt overtime rules for the entire game.
  • More and longer commercial breaks. I love playing Husker trivia and catching up with past Huskers.

• Consistently black uniforms.
  • Stomping the bejeezus out of KSU in a bowl game.
  • Restoration of the single-platoon system.
  • Corn crops in the endzones. Think Field of Dreams.
  • Turbo charged, jet propelled footballs. Let's see some new FG length records!
  • Bo Pelini in the HOF as a podcaster.
  • Adopt overtime rules for the entire game.
  • More and longer commercial breaks. I love playing Husker trivia and catching up with past Huskers.

I like the way you think. Shake things up a bit.

Oh and stomp on KSU, just to show that order has been restored.

I picked QB play, the conundrum for me is that I have been a big fan of Amart, after watching some old games, there seems to be quite a bit of times where a receiver was open early if he had made faster decisions. So my initial instinct of better line for this answer may be negated with quicker decisions on slant plays etc. Was Amart holding the ball longer than necessary to get positive yards? If he had made a quicker decision to get the ball out on a timing play would our line have been under less duress? I am inclined to think so from the stand point that our two minute drill was usually pretty successful in get yards and moving the ball quickly. It seemed like the series where we were taking a more normal tempo failed because we were trying to go for big pass plays down field with a staring down of the receiver. We will see if it was the chicken or egg but it does seem like Thompson may be a tad quicker in the reads and decision to throw.

Better running back play

It’s the BiG
Fix the O-Line before we can know for sure if the RB's are the issue or not ... we've had some decent RB's come through this program recently. We've had some decent O-Linemen for that matter ... problem there has been coaching!

Fix the O-Line before we can know for sure if the RB's are the issue or not ... we've had some decent RB's come through this program recently. We've had some decent O-Linemen for that matter ... problem there has been coaching!
I agree

I picked QB play, the conundrum for me is that I have been a big fan of Amart, after watching some old games, there seems to be quite a bit of times where a receiver was open early if he had made faster decisions. So my initial instinct of better line for this answer may be negated with quicker decisions on slant plays etc. Was Amart holding the ball longer than necessary to get positive yards? If he had made a quicker decision to get the ball out on a timing play would our line have been under less duress? I am inclined to think so from the stand point that our two minute drill was usually pretty successful in get yards and moving the ball quickly. It seemed like the series where we were taking a more normal tempo failed because we were trying to go for big pass plays down field with a staring down of the receiver. We will see if it was the chicken or egg but it does seem like Thompson may be a tad quicker in the reads and decision to throw.
There's no doubt 2AM had throwing limitations ... I've always had a coaching philosophy that you adapt the offense to the talent you have ... that didn't necessarily mean more running but IMO it did mean quicker "no-read" plays, or more "if this-then that" plays.

Remove the decision making conundrum from his thought process.

My biggest concern with K-State is that Kleiman will be a much smarter coach and adjust the play calling to accommodate 2AM's strengths and weaknesses. It will be a bad look for NU, Scott Frost and the football program in general if KSU has a good to great season due to 2AM's performance.

Last edited:
There's no doubt 2AM had throwing limitations ... I've always had a coaching philosophy that you adapt the offense to the talent you have ... that didn't necessarily mean more running but IMO it did mean quicker "no-read" plays, or more "if this-then that" plays.

Remove the decision making conundrum from his thought process.

My biggest concern with K-State is that Kleiman will be a much smarter coach and adjust the play calling to accommodate 2AM's strengths and weaknesses. It will be a bad look for NU, Scott Frost and the football program in general if KSU has a good to great season due to 2AM's performance.
I do not disagree with this at all, in fact I am expecting it to be a pretty direct no read offense, he has the athletic skills to pull it off if his shoulder heals.

Hence the understanding of many fans. Play calling and design is essential. If SF thinks there is a strategic opportunity to go deep he calls that play and the quarterback has to wait for it to develop. This is where the dilemma starts. There isn’t enough protection forcing the quarterback to scramble or the receiver isn’t open. At that point you either throw it up and ask the receiver to make a play or you check down to a shorter route and another receiver who may or may not be open.

What the fans see is an immediate wide open slot receiver 5 yards downfield that the quarterback should have hit to get rid of the ball earlier. They tend to dismiss what the offensive coordinator was asking him to do.

Also keep in mind the term “didn’t see him”. It physically happens a lot. You have 5 offensive lineman and similar numbers of defensive lineman with big bodies and shoulder pads higher than your line of sight. With all the movement the qbs get snap shot looks. Especially when under heavy pressure which AM dealt with more that 90% of other quarterbacks.

Hence the understanding of many fans. Play calling and design is essential. If SF thinks there is a strategic opportunity to go deep he calls that play and the quarterback has to wait for it to develop. This is where the dilemma starts. There isn’t enough protection forcing the quarterback to scramble or the receiver isn’t open. At that point you either throw it up and ask the receiver to make a play or you check down to a shorter route and another receiver who may or may not be open.

What the fans see is an immediate wide open slot receiver 5 yards downfield that the quarterback should have hit to get rid of the ball earlier. They tend to dismiss what the offensive coordinator was asking him to do.

Also keep in mind the term “didn’t see him”. It physically happens a lot. You have 5 offensive lineman and similar numbers of defensive lineman with big bodies and shoulder pads higher than your line of sight. With all the movement the qbs get snap shot looks. Especially when under heavy pressure which AM dealt with more that 90% of other quarterbacks.
This is where you have to watch the play closer, usually a deep post out of the slot has a moment where the receiver breaks to the post. There is a moment where you make the throw knowing the receiver is making that move and has a step or two. There were a lot of time where AM was in the pocket and was holding and holding seemingly waiting for the receiver to get more open before being comfortable to make the throw. This pushes the deep route further down the field beyond 15-20 yards, increasing the need for accuracy and decreasing the likely hood of success. He was staring at these receivers, not making a read that he missed.

This is where you have to watch the play closer, usually a deep post out of the slot has a moment where the receiver breaks to the post. There is a moment where you make the throw knowing the receiver is making that move and has a step or two. There were a lot of time where AM was in the pocket and was holding and holding seemingly waiting for the receiver to get more open before being comfortable to make the throw. This pushes the deep route further down the field beyond 15-20 yards, increasing the need for accuracy and decreasing the likely hood of success. He was staring at these receivers, not making a read that he missed.
Negative. You can’t make that throw that early until you see where the safety commits. If not that safety has a clean opportunity for the pick.

Negative. You can’t make that throw that early until you see where the safety commits. If not that safety has a clean opportunity for the pick.
That was my point the safety had cleared off and it was wait, wait, wait, the reciever was there, deep, with a safety gone and he kept waiting because he was too timid to make the throw. Look I liked the guy and defended the heck out of him, but in hindsight there were some limitations.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Back