• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Another Martinez Thread

What's crazy is we don't even need a big 2021. An adequate 2021 from the offense with a huge reduction in turnovers would be more than enough to win 7 games.

Well, it’s all relative.

The offense was a big problem last year and needs to take some pretty big steps, even just to win 7 games. I say big steps, but it’s really just finishing two more drives with points.
They can do that.

Well, it’s all relative.

The offense was a big problem last year and needs to take some pretty big steps, even just to win 7 games. I say big steps, but it’s really just finishing two more drives with points.
They can do that.

Well, 18 turnovers (I think) in 8 games is awful. So improve the over 2 turnovers per game to 1.5 or less, that alone will result in at least another win or 2. Hopefully the Australian punter is back and will help improve the field position game.
The offense from an efficiency standpoint can be about the same as last year, and more wins will come if they just reduce the turnovers and improve special teams.

Well, 18 turnovers (I think) in 8 games is awful. So improve the over 2 turnovers per game to 1.5 or less, that alone will result in at least another win or 2. Hopefully the Australian punter is back and will help improve the field position game.
The offense from an efficiency standpoint can be about the same as last year, and more wins will come if they just reduce the turnovers and improve special teams.

Fair.

That said, reduce the turnovers and additionally score on ONE more drive and we’re bowling.

Well, it’s all relative.

They can do that.
This year,we finished 4th in th Big in total O, last year 5th.
Scoring, we finished 12th this year, and 7th the year before.

Its a scoring issue

What's with the talk on the board of 7 wins? Really?

Nearly every team after every game (win or lose) can say - oh if we had only (1) not fumbled on that drive, (2) not thrown that one interception, (3) not had that penalty, (4) had the refs not been against us, (5) had the wind not blown at just that moment, (6) if we had just returned one punt for 15 yards, etc...... It is really hard to see in our record the last four years any reasonable expectation that we can win 7 games next year. And if you look beyond our recent past for projection, what confidence can you get from our QB room now (anticipating based on his history that our starter will be injured, probably early in the season) and the lack of any stars anywhere else on the team or any record of improvement year to year, There isn't much in our roster or coaching staff that says 7 is realistic..

We should all jump for joy if we get 7 wins. I know I will. But I just don't see it as a reasonable goal for this team.

Nearly every team after every game (win or lose) can say - oh if we had only (1) not fumbled on that drive, (2) not thrown that one interception, (3) not had that penalty, (4) had the refs not been against us, (5) had the wind not blown at just that moment, (6) if we had just returned one punt for 15 yards, etc...... It is really hard to see in our record the last four years any reasonable expectation that we can win 7 games next year. And if you look beyond our recent past for projection, what confidence can you get from our QB room now (anticipating based on his history that our starter will be injured, probably early in the season) and the lack of any stars anywhere else on the team or any record of improvement year to year, There isn't much in our roster or coaching staff that says 7 is realistic..

We should all jump for joy if we get 7 wins. I know I will. But I just don't see it as a reasonable goal for this team.

Because this team is not getting blown out. They are close to winning these games, they just need to make the plays needed in crunch time. Maybe they never will, but I'm still optimistic.

Well, it’s all relative.

They can do that.

If Frost skews things more to 2nd half at Rutgers, they should be better at TOP and maybe get that extra score. If he decides he's going to continue to live or die by screen pass left, screen pass right, ask AM to be a dropback passer 15 times a game . . . it might look a whole lot like 2020 again.

Can’t blame a guy for trying.

QB is always a polarizing position, but when you’re losing it goes to another level.

We all need a big 2021 from Nebraska’s offense, Martinez included.
I bolded a very important statement. If the offense support shines I think AM will. I remember the good old days when we had so much talent around us the QB only had to figure out a way to manage the offense and get it to the playmarkers. And because there was so much talent our QB wasn't a featured runner it most of the time so when they did it was really effective. I just can't seem to find any talent around him that jumps out at me. Pretty sure none of our opponents defensive coordinators are losing sleep over facing our talent.

I'll add some perspective on the turnovers. AM only had 3 interceptions all year. Two of them in the last game. He had only 1 through seven games. Not a bad number. He did have 5 fumbles but at least two of them were questionable being attributed to him. Most notably was the hard blindside hit he took against Iowa when a lineman totally whiffed on a block. Even the one against Rutgers I believe where he got flipped and landed on his head was somewhat understandable. I do believe earlier in the year one of the fumbles was do to a high snap.

Well, it’s all relative.

They can do that.
Here is the truth of the matter. You are absolutely correct. As bad as our offensive execution is we are really close to having finished off a few drives a game for wins. Even more alarming is imagine if the offense executed at a very high efficiency? We don't need to be super great to win 7 games........just FINISH. Most of this is penalties, missed blocks, receivers making a play on a miss thrown ball, less turnovers, a few less missed deep throws and we score 14-21 more points a game.

Last edited:
Here is the truth of the matter. You are absolutely correct. As bad as our offensive execution is we are really close to having finished off a few drives a game for wins. Even more alarming is imagine if the offense executed at a very high efficiency? We don't need to be super great to win 7 games........just FINISH. Most of this is penalties, missed blocks, receivers making a play on a miss thrown ball, less turnovers, a few less missed deep throws and we score 14-21 more points a game.
Add in some dang better field position too, this one is upsetting

Six is a must. Seven is very possible. Eight would be outstanding given our recent history, but I wouldn’t be shocked. The season will go as our QB goes.

Six is a must. Seven is very possible. Eight would be outstanding given our recent history, but I wouldn’t be shocked. The season will go as our QB goes.
Getting a lot of wins will take time, in the sense that this team needs to learn to win, and then be confident in doing so.
Looking at the MR team what went 7-0, the fan base and the players werent confident and werent ready for that next step, and the rest is history.
At UCF, the surrounding team was mostly the same,and they learned year one to win, and as MM had a little playing time, well, adding it all up, throw in a few good recruits, that too was history.

But, as you said, they still needed that MM level of play

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back