• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Another Martinez Thread

It is always easy to talk about the QB. It seems to me that AM could be an ordinary QB if everything around him was solid, although he still would fumble too often. He never will be a really good one.

But the state of the rest of the team often often gets overlooked. And our staff has failed completely in recruiting, developing and retaining units, offense, defense and special teams, that are even average BIG quality units. And this is year four. There has been little to no improvement year to year. We rhapsodize about games that we lost that were close - and there are a lot of them over this period. But we lost them..

My fear is that AM gets hurt early on this season and we then will have a disaster because of total failure of this staff to produce a quality QB room. I hope I'm wrong.

It is always easy to talk about the QB. It seems to me that AM could be an ordinary QB if everything around him was solid, although he still would fumble too often. He never will be a really good one.

But the state of the rest of the team often often gets overlooked. And our staff has failed completely in recruiting, developing and retaining units, offense, defense and special teams, that are even average BIG quality units. And this is year four. There has been little to no improvement year to year. We rhapsodize about games that we lost that were close - and there are a lot of them over this period. But we lost them..

My fear is that AM gets hurt early on this season and we then will have a disaster because of total failure of this staff to produce a quality QB room. I hope I'm wrong.
Over all I think Chin has done a good job building a solid defense which should be excellent this season assuming the pieces come together. Lets remember we were SOLD that we'd have a very dynamic high scoring offense which could simply outscore teams with just a little help from the D. Well as it turns out the EXACT opposite is true! It's the main reason I'm dissatisfied with what Frost has done with offense after 3 years. He was brought in as a offensive genius of sorts and hasn't produced an offense worth diddysquat imo. It's certainly starts with having a top notch QB but we've been lacking at almost all offensive positions.

One thing is certain imo and that's if we don't have marked improvement at QB, WR's, RB's and Oline we're going to have a very disappointing 2021 season.

Last edited:
I think I disagree with all of this except the part about being promised he’d be a 4 year starter. I agree that whole line of thought is crap.

As for Martinez, he has not been good for the past two seasons. Some will argue he had a good competition percentage in 2020 and that’s true and gives me some hope, but his inability to get the ball downfield hurt this offense. Some will say that was on the WRs and we certainly didn’t have great deep threats but when we did have guys open downfield he missed them, either visually or physically. That said, my hope is he will spend the off season working on that part of his game and he will certainly benefit from the bigger receivers he will have available in 2021. That alone will improve this offense.

The other problem I’ve had with Martinez that boggles my mind is that he doesn’t have a winner’s edge to him, at least we don’t see it enough. Too often he has played us into losses with bad decisions and bad play. That has to change. On a positive note, I did see some progress at the end of the season. But this issue is still TBD.

Lastly, the narrative about the backup QB as it relates to 2020 is old and tired and completely wrong. 2019 and early 2020 Martinez had proven that he was not playing winning football from the QB position. He wasn’t getting it done. Even Frost commented on his lack of competitiveness after the 2018 season. He needed to take a seat on the bench if only to light a fire under his azz. I praise Frost for making the decision to bench Martinez. Recall that even some of his teammates publicly said Luke added a spark when he was running the offense. So it was a no brainer. Martinez needed to sit. And if you look at his performance when he returned to the starting role, it appears that the move had the intended benefit. I think he played with more intensity in the latter part of the season. Sometimes QBs benefit from a little bench time, and Martinez certainly did. My only complaint with that series of events is that I wish Frost would have put him back in late in the first half of the Illinois game, or at least the start of the second half. It was clearly needed at the time. That’s on Frost.

So, I think we’re seeing some historical revisionism in the OP. But going forward I agree that our best chance of winning in 2021 is with an improved Martinez pulling the trigger. He has to improve his mental game, and he has to improve his downfield passing (I think he will), and we need to keep him healthy. I still question how much of his issues are due to an accumulation of injuries over several years, and question whether or not his body is capable of being what we need him to be at this point. I don’t know. We had better have a plan B in place in case he’s not physically capable of being the QB we need in 2021.

You know, if LM was such a great QB, why is it that NO teams have jumped on him in the portal? I doubt that any P5 team will add him as a QB.

I don't think that actually happened. In a blowout type game, the backups got some time early, but it didn't happen in competitive games. The exception was when the top 2 QBs were very close, like Frazier and Berringer.

We don't really have either of those situations right now.
I am fairly certain TO insisted the starters stayed in for at least 2

Except I commented on him claiming that am
Didn’t have 1.5 seconds never said it was enough time.
You can't 3 step drop everybplay is the point . Especially when part of the pocket collapsed and you have to shift your footing and reset to throw. Disrupts the read and the route timing.

Turner Corcoran was the first time in years I can remember a lineman in seek and destroy mode hitting the second level much less the first.

They couldn't run straight up against Coastal Carolina. Talking I formation pound the rock. Can't do it. I am hoping that a full spring schedule and back to somewhat regular schedule something will improve there because it has to. Or we won't win no matter who is at QB1 on depth chart. Not talking just snaps. Talking basic blocking whiffs.

Watch the games. Every single series it happens.
That is true of every team in football, even the current Super Bowl champions, as the name of the game on defense is pressur.

So, yes at least Once “in a series” the QB will have less than 1.5 seconds to throw, what a discovery .

With a good QB like Tom Brady, you move in the pocket away from pressure, over get rid of the ball if needed, because you see/feel the rush. DONU QB have been less good at doing that, prone to sack/fumbles instead.

Furthermore, Scott has not played to his player’s strength by either moving his QB out more, going more “max Protect”, or getting his QB to go with first/second read and if not there then tuck and run.

Strategies that recognize the youth and inexperience of his o-line would improve his chances at success on offense. Instead Scott continued to try and run “his” offense with too few parts that fit that system.

The only impressive offensive display of 2020, the second have against Rutgers looked more like 1993 than UCF in 2015.

GBR

Yep, those two wrs we cant get over.
And Betts and Brown willnever come around.
And Toure wont work out.
And Manning willnever play, and if he does, he wont be good either, so there, theres the rest of your confirmation.
Falks no good,neither is the guy from iowa

No, thanks go to you for confirming mine.

AM has no one to throw to.

I expect AM to have an outstanding year since his surrounding cast will be so much improved and the staff will have them all playing at their peak level through incredible development.

C

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back