• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Another Iowa Story

Not a big fan of the fire everyone mentality, that changes nothing. I believe he will still be HC, but not sure about the son. From what we all read and heard, a toxic bad environment had to change and it appears it is.
I think this is the most relevant quote from that article:

"For the most part, Division I football recruits were stars of their high school teams. That often can be accompanied by a brash confidence to compete at a high level. Lomax echoes a common theme among former players that such attributes were diminished at Iowa, regardless of skin color. (Tight end George Kittle's big personality, for example, was diffused at Iowa and he has since become an NFL superstar.) "

The coaching staff (maybe some with ham-handed or ill-advised methods) tried to eliminate brash or contrary traits. Naturally, there are a few more cultural differences between the average young black athlete today & the coaching staff than there are between the average young white athlete today & the coaching staff, so that's where more of the conflict happened.

It doesn't all reflect wonderfully on the Iowa staff, but just calling it racism is a lazy take that's being stoked by a really bitter Ferentz-hater in Iowa City.

I don’t see the why of doing that stupid act period.That he is alleged to have done it in front of parents and recruits is hard for me to understand.Not a good read for the program.Keep the faith.GBR.
Oh... and we lost a significant recruiting battle with Iowa for a player out of SoO who was a first round pick... and they have kicked the %$!# out of us for the last number of years...

Just came out... a massive nothing burger. AD and HC will apologize and everyone will move on. Again.
Those reports usually get the result that was desired by the entity asking for the review. Seems like Iowa is pretty intent on keeping Ferentz. Others will definitely use this against them in recruiting but it's hard to tell how effective it will be in dissuading kids from going there.

Oh... and we lost a significant recruiting battle with Iowa for a player out of SoO who was a first round pick... and they have kicked the %$!# out of us for the last number of years...
Okay.Agree that they have owned us in recent years.Not sure that the recruit that we lost to Iowa was a Frost and company player.We lost a lot of recruits in our recent coaching staffs regimes. I just thought that the act taken by the Iowa coach was difficult for me to understand. Thanks for your response.Keep the faith.GBR.

I listened to the Iowa press conference on ESPN: it was all a white wash, if one can say that in today's world.
Barta and Ferentz with a bunch of platitudes about how respectful they were about the problems in the past and how they would do better in the future: which seems to mean mostly reports and meetings!

The new report as the same as the previous on in defining the problems and yet other than Doyle (strength coach) nobodies feet will be held to the fire as Barta has "complete faith" the Ferentz is the man to get the job done, just like he was the last time :).

How any black athlete would walk into the Iowa Football program with confidence that any meaningful change is going to occur without change in the staff present who caused the problems that they have been complaining about over these last years I fail to understand.

Not a big fan of the fire everyone mentality, that changes nothing. I believe he will still be HC, but not sure about the son. From what we all read and heard, a toxic bad environment had to change and it appears it is.

Actually firing everyone changes the culture pretty quickly. What we are reading about is the Kirk Ferentz culture. I hope Iowa keeps him.

I read the article. I’m not sure how Ferentz continues as the HC. When the independent report comes out, I’m guessing it will be damning as well. Seems it has gone on the entire time he has been there.

The report is out now and I am honestly shocked they're not at least making some more staff changes. If it was a more prominent school, this would be a bigger story and there'd be more outrage.

Just came out... a massive nothing burger. AD and HC will apologize and everyone will move on. Again.

It's crazy that they have had these issues for years, have been told about it repeatedly, ignored it repeatedly, and now will get by without any big changes outside the S&C coach.

The report is out now and I am honestly shocked they're not at least making some more staff changes. If it was a more prominent school, this would be a bigger story and there'd be more outrage.

If it was a Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, it would be plastered all over ESPN and MSM. No way they don't have to make major changes. I'm still surprised Iowa gets to just keep strolling along like nothing happened, especially in todays racially focused environment.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back