• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Andre Smith - Big 8 POY 1980/81 RIP

Red Don

Tiger
Staff member
10 Year Member
Sad to Report the Passing of Andre Smith, the 4th highest career scorer in Husker history.

Edit: Inducted into the Nebraska Basketball Hall of Fame in 1994.

1678225652800.png

Last edited:

A Rememberance: (I saw elsewhere :redface)

I will always remember his wave to the basket after a made free throw.

That 1977-78 team, which was Andre's freshman year, was fun to watch: Carl McPipe, Brian Banks, Andre Smith and a couple of Lincolnites, Kurt Hedberg (yay, Spartans!) and Terry Novak (boo, Rockets!), along with Hastings' Mark McVicker.

They went 22-8, 9-5 in the conference, beating KU 62-58 at the Devaney Center. The season ended in the second round of the NIT at Texas.

That 1977-78 team, which was Andre's freshman year, was fun to watch: Carl McPipe, Brian Banks, Andre Smith and a couple of Lincolnites, Kurt Hedberg (yay, Spartans!) and Terry Novak (boo, Rockets!), along with Hastings' Mark McVicker.

They went 22-8, 9-5 in the conference, beating KU 62-58 at the Devaney Center. The season ended in the second round of the NIT at Texas.
I never got to see that team play, but loved listening to the games on the radio.

That was prior to 64 teams. Only 32 were selected. The NIT was a much bigger deal than now.

I was in school then. It gets a guy when his contemporaries are passing. RIP Andre. Say hey to Jack Moore.

Those were the teams that turned me into a Husker basketball fan as a kid.

Countless times I pretended to be Andre Smith, Brian Banks -- or Jack Moore (who was a year behind Smith) in the driveway shooting hoops, or my Nerf hoop in my bedroom.

Sad to hear of Andre's passing at a relatively young age. :(

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back