• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Analyzing the numbers

Logan Sartori - Lincoln Southwest/Hutch JUCO - Hitting .350 with 9 HRs. Middle infielder, height could be what is holding people back, but in my opinion this is the second version of Helman who went to A&M.

Wyatt Divis - Lincoln Northeast/Hutch JUCO - Hitting .387 with 15 HRs. We offered him a walk-on spot. Unfortunately off the market now with a 70% scholarship to UTArlington. We didn't have that type of money, but we could have got him last year for the minimum or out of high school. Throws 88-92 mph from the mound as well.

Bobby Morgenson - Creighton Prep/Hutch JUCO - Hitting .335 with 10 HRs as an outfielder.
EDIT: Bobby signed with Florida Atlantic

Breyden Eckhout - Amherst/Iowa Western JUCO - Hitting .370 and a utility player. Hasn't got a ton of ABs but if they like his projection could be an olive branch to IWCC. Also pitches and is getting some good stats there with an ERA under 1.00 in 10 appearances.

Brandon Bena - Creighton Prep/Iowa Western JUCO - Hitting .363

Jayden Kruse - North Platte/Iowa Western JUCO - RHP that has a .69 ERA with 35 K's in 26 innings. At 6'3", maybe not a bad idea to take a look, the issue is we have a ton of righty's.

Class of 2018 - We got the best of the best, gaining signatures from 4 of the top 5 players in the state, and 5 of the top 10.
1) Colby Gomes - RHP Millard West - Can hit 94 mph and draft is a possibility
2) Shay Schanaman - Middle INF Hastings
3) Kyle Perry - LHP Millard South
4) Austin Schultz committed to Kentucky
5) Caleb Feekin - LHP Papillion La-Vista
8) Drew Gillin - Middle Infield Millard South

Class of 2019 - This is where it gets interesting. This class certainly isn't as deep. The #1 player we pulled the scholarship and he's heading to Arizona State, but he's hitting below .300 right now. We have the #2 player who goes to the same high school and is a LHP, Sayer Diederich. And the #3 guy is a RHP who is committed to Kentucky. But he has an ERA over 7 right now and can't find the strike zone to save his life.

They have held back some money for 2019 to figure out who to offer. There's a kid at Millard South that needs to keep improving, and I like the kid at Lincoln Southwest a little better.

Can someone refresh my memory at what happened with IWCC?

My bad didn't see this...

Essentially, Chandler was committed to IWCC then we had some money open up and he flipped and came to Nebraska without us really even telling IWCC. He had some issues, part Silva but mostly the kid. He makes 7 appearances his first year and has a 9.64 ERA, ends up transferring to IWCC where he orginially was. This year he is 10-0 with a 1.05 ERA, and 102 K's in 60 innings pitched. IWCC coach pretty pissed and is now funneling kids away from Nebraska and has a very good relationship with other coaches in the conference.

While the kid is making the most of his second chance and turned some of his own issues around, that doesn't look good for Nebraska on a lot of levels.

My bad didn't see this...

Essentially, Chandler was committed to IWCC then we had some money open up and he flipped and came to Nebraska without us really even telling IWCC. He had some issues, part Silva but mostly the kid. He makes 7 appearances his first year and has a 9.64 ERA, ends up transferring to IWCC where he orginially was. This year he is 10-0 with a 1.05 ERA, and 102 K's in 60 innings pitched. IWCC coach pretty pissed and is now funneling kids away from Nebraska and has a very good relationship with other coaches in the conference.

While the kid is making the most of his second chance and turned some of his own issues around, that doesn't look good for Nebraska on a lot of levels.
Thanks. I couldn't remember what the issue was.

We are just a bad baseball team. No way around it.

I'm surprised at Silva's ERA numbers; those are pretty solid. The injuries are really concerning. Particularly with what I see out of the pitchers' arm action and confirmed by the pro scout that pays darn close attention to UNL baseball.

The batting average is terrible. But, I could argue that a lot of that has to do with the B1G scholarship rules; if our hands our tied and we have a bad run of 5 o'clock hitters that are recruited, we are screwed no matter who is the hitting coach.

If I were head coach, I'd bring in a hitting guru. A minor league hitting instructor or something like that. I'd also dump Silva, but this is kind of the Mike Riley argument, right? At what point did you just hire the wrong coach if you have to replace all of the assistants?

That being said, I'm not sure where the outrage comes from here. You're going to have down years, especially in baseball. And the down years are going to be really bad when you are bitched on scholarships. The 99 team had 10 guys with batting averages over .300. The 2017 team? 3. Without the ability to build depth, it may not matter who the head coach is.

I don't think people realize how big of a problem that Big 10 rule is. After watching this season, I am really convinced that this is a bad bad deal.
As I understand it this was a younger group having to replace a large number of guys who left. They’ll be much better next year!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back