• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

AM is good

Kwajsker

Scout Team
Half or more of the threads lately dissolve into a conversation about whether or not AM is good or should be benched. And I trying to follow the logic.

This seems to be the evidence:

1. Our OL didn't start the year very strong. Center snaps were an issue (but improved). Some rotation on the line helped during the year, but no one could say OL was a strength from game one.
2. Our WR never seemed to get going. huge class of WR brought in.
3. Our fastest RB was dismissed half way through the year. The RB we are all excited about for next year didn't bust onto the scene until the last game or two.
4. Our Offensive Coordinator parted ways. Something was off with planning/play calling/execution all year. Major changes made to the offensive coaching staff and how they are assigned, including Austin to run game coordinator.
5. TE production was down.
6. Super low scoring in the red zone.

The entire offense was off all year long.

So why is the conclusion to hang it all on the quarterback who was injured all year long? Problems everywhere and I keep reading that peoples' guts are saying that the back-up to the back-up will start and AM got special treatment for being the chosen one and the rest of it?

AM is a stud. LM is too, based on the ways we used him and heard talk about him in limited samples.

We have to fix the whole offense and then our quarterback is going to look like all of the quarterbacks that Frost helped mold. We are lucky to have AM and the other quarterbacks we have. I hope he is the starter and I don't see any reason to question his ability. If it isn't him, then we know the person they choose has so much talent and is deserving, as well. Unless you know something I don't know.

With 4 more TD’s( Colorado, Purdue, Indiana and Iowa) with all the injuries and no kicking game Nebraska would have gone 9-5. This program is due a few breaks and not as far away as some believe.
Yup. Depth on the offensive line and improved play on the interior offensive line will help a lot. Hopefully all of our receivers are on campus this fall, otherwise depth at WR might be an issue.

Nobody every mentions the tremendous expections that people had placed on him going into the season. 4th in the preseason Heisman odds. Add in the loss of a 1,000 yard rusher, 1,000 yard receiver and 2 multi year starters on the line and there was bound to be regression. My belief is things are getting so much better but just like a good brisket it just takes time.

With 4 more TD’s( Colorado, Purdue, Indiana and Iowa) with all the injuries and no kicking game Nebraska would have gone 9-5. This program is due a few breaks and not as far away as some believe.

One drive on either side of the ball ending with points for NU or without points for the opponent and we're talking about the giant strides the team took in year two.

'Still have a ways to go'

It's amazing how much the little things effect the big picture.

I doubt it would have even taken 4. Find one against Iowa to end the year...

It is most likely that AM was injured or bulked up too much prior to last year. Hence, the hype was fake news. Let's hope he gets that extra step back and a little better accuracy this year. He is one of the very few Nebraska QB's that I've seen regress in his second year...let's hope he returns to form, and more.

Stud quarterbacks make everyone around them better, they don't wait for everyone else to make them better.
That's the biggest intangible McCaffery seemed to bring to the table last year. I had no Heisman season delusions last year for AM, but I did anticipate incremental improvements. You know, stuff like not running out of bounds 5 yards deep or making your progression passed the primary receiver. Yes, he was hampered by poor a O-line, snaps, and injuries, but not only did the game not slow down for him in year 2, it actually seemed to speed up.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back