• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

AM is good

I swear man ... it’s like we just can’t get it all going at once...

I can’t figure out why TE production was nearly non existent when that was supposed to be one of our stronger rooms. O line inconsistency, injured 2AM, no Stanley Morgan to open up the underneath stuff for our jitterbug guys, Literally no kicker. Snake bitten I tell ya.

I hate being a kool aid drinker but I truly feel like if some stuff can break our way it will do worlds of good just getting all the players to believe.

It is most likely that AM was injured or bulked up too much prior to last year. Hence, the hype was fake news. Let's hope he gets that extra step back and a little better accuracy this year. He is one of the very few Nebraska QB's that I've seen regress in his second year...let's hope he returns to form, and more.
I think the bulk up actually made a huge difference. It looked like it was always in the back of his mind when determining whether or not to take off. There were several instances last year where the pocket was breaking down and the whole stadium was yelling to take off, and he didn't. His freshman year absolutely, last year not so much. And that could be a combination of not wanting to further his injury and knowing he had put on 20 pounds

I agree AM is a very good if not great QB but the surrounding cast hasn't been strong enough to let him truly shine. This could be said of a number of our recent QB's. I really really hope we get a very good consistent OL that can give him time, space, and open lanes. Looking at our backs and receivers he might have a great chance to show that he is one of the greats.

He's an ordinary QB. He's not outstanding. I'm not sure how many teams in the BIG would choose him as their starter. That's really OK if the rest of the team is really good. It hasn't been. Maybe it will be this year, but that seems unlikely, although many of us hope for that. So far we have not demonstrated the ability to coach up our players like so many of our West division coaches seem to be able to do., so I don't see how the next OL will be much better than the past ones. And if it's not, the major improvement may well be that it is not a guessing game where the center snap may go. That's a plus, but not enough.

He's an ordinary QB. He's not outstanding. I'm not sure how many teams in the BIG would choose him as their starter. That's really OK if the rest of the team is really good. It hasn't been. Maybe it will be this year, but that seems unlikely, although many of us hope for that. So far we have not demonstrated the ability to coach up our players like so many of our West division coaches seem to be able to do., so I don't see how the next OL will be much better than the past ones. And if it's not, the major improvement may well be that it is not a guessing game where the center snap may go. That's a plus, but not enough.
I don’t know yet on AM. We shall see. Let him get a better offensive line and some weapons to work with. JD was a good receiver not great and we absolutely had no one else. The tight ends looked very average to me. We had no real running game to help him. Way to early in his career to make a judgment.

I have it on good authority from multiple reliable sources that there was a significant personal item that undoubtedly added a tremendous amount of weight to his mental state last year. I have no doubt this played a factor in his performance, along with physical issues.

Hoping a lot of that will clear up for him this season, and along with some physical healing, will help make a dramatic improvement. There are holes in his game, but he's a very good quarterback who still has a lot of upside.

Stud quarterbacks make everyone around them better, they don't wait for everyone else to make them better.
If you put Tua, Justin Fields, Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawrence, etc. on last years team you really think they would have fared significantly better? I was critical of 2AM last year, his decision making in particular, but he can't snap the ball to himself, pass block for himself, and catch all his own passes. Dude needs some players to help him out.

Aaron Rodgers is a first ballot HOFer and even he couldn't make marginal players better.

This was SO long ago I had to look it to make sure it actually happened. Regardless, the second Haarberg verbals he we be the best QB on the roster. Once he signs you may as well hand him the heisman.

Nebraska quarterback Adrian Martinez picked up a big honor on Monday, as the signalcaller was one of two quarterbacks named to the Football Writers Association of America All-America team. In total, 32 players were named to the team, and Martinez joined Clemson true freshman Trevor Lawrence as the lone quarterbacks on the list.

If you put Tua, Justin Fields, Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawrence, etc. on last years team you really think they would have fared significantly better? I was critical of 2AM last year, his decision making in particular, but he can't snap the ball to himself, pass block for himself, and catch all his own passes. Dude needs some players to help him out.

Aaron Rodgers is a first ballot HOFer and even he couldn't make marginal players better.
Very true. Tom Brady wouldn't ever have amounted to much if his supporting cast was my high school team.

That's a bit extreme. I think we're suffering from a form of Wuhan hallucination that's making us believe we suck much worse than the reality of the situation.

I can’t figure out why TE production was nearly non existent when that was supposed to be one of our stronger rooms.

This bothered me as much as anything else all year. I can't come up with an explanation for it. How could all of the offensive coaches get together and discuss gameplans, strategy, etc., and NOBODY brought up utilizing the TEs more? It seems hard to believe. It seems just as hard to believe that the QBs would forget that they had ginormous pass-catching targets to consider. It needs to improve, especially with the addition of Vokolek and Hickman being available for every game.

Last edited:
I think the bulk up actually made a huge difference. It looked like it was always in the back of his mind when determining whether or not to take off. There were several instances last year where the pocket was breaking down and the whole stadium was yelling to take off, and he didn't. His freshman year absolutely, last year not so much. And that could be a combination of not wanting to further his injury and knowing he had put on 20 pounds

I honestly remember him running well his freshman year, but I don't remember him scrambling to glory all that often. I think his overall running was down this year, so we perceived his scrambling to be down as well.

I think he, and the play calling, kept trying to cater to receiver development. We kept trying to get the ball into receivers hands and ran power less than what we will see in the future. I think we spent a lot of time trying to get the WRs going and finally figured out that wasn't going to be a productive approach by the end of the year. Hence the reason Mills came on at the end of the year and unique packages were put in that involved throwing the ball to our quarterbacks.

There are many reasons to think the next OL will be better than this one.
- Every starter returns instead of losing 2 multi-year starters and letter winners.
- Our LT hass developed into a draftable prospect. He returned for a senior season when some predicted he could have left early. He is showing up on draft lists already.
- Our Center snaps improved all year and we won't start the year with exchange issues we began the year with last year. You mentioned this one already.
- Depth. It is unproven, but is there to the extent that some starters might be moved around or replaced. Benhart, Piper, others.

A lot more than just center snaps along the OL to be excited about.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back