• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

altitude

Husker_in_Illinois

Recruit
5 Year Member
This question may have been asked already, and I'd be surprised if it hasn't, but I haven't seen it.

How much do we think the altitude had to do with the Huskers fading down the stretch?

There's a whole other thread about it that started prior to the game. I'll say this, I don't think it's a big deal but it'd be hard to argue it didn't play a small role down the stretch and into OT. Even if it was 5% that might have been enough of an edge in such a close game.

That said, I think was more attitude than altitude.

This question may have been asked already, and I'd be surprised if it hasn't, but I haven't seen it.

How much do we think the altitude had to do with the Huskers fading down the stretch?

The only reason I think it was a minor factor was the 3 and out's by the offense in the third quarter. If they'd have spent more time on the sidelines between CU drives in the second half, we're having a different conversation today.

The only reason I think it was a minor factor was the 3 and out's by the offense in the third quarter. If they'd have spent more time on the sidelines between CU drives in the second half, we're having a different conversation today.

Absolutely - altitude will get our lowlanders tired faster than in Lincoln, but if the offense had moved the chains even a few times each series, the D could have gotten a little break. The CU staff knew it too, which is why they sped up their offense to end our substitutions - and it worked.

Altitude didn't fumble the ball twice, nor leave a receiver running naked on two consecutive post routes.
??????
Have you ever taken a bag of chips to the mountains? Those were our balls we were using. Martinez has never played in the CFL. How could you expect him to hang on to thar oversized ball?

My take is that we got tired because of the altitude and got complacent because we thought we had it in the bag and they came out like a wounded animal backed into a corner. Which they pretty much were. They came out balls to the wall and caught us flat footed.

I hope our young team treats it like a learning experience and is better prepared next time.

As I was walking to Pearl Street for attitude adjustment after the game, an older CU fan said to a group of dejected Husker fans: "I can't tell you how many times I've seen this happen in a game - CU doesn't look like they are in it, and pull it out in the end as the other team fades. Altitude is real."

I know it's real, I've suffered from it and it exposes you where you are weak: sometimes it's the legs, sometimes the head, sometimes the gut. It's real, you shouldn't ignore it.

My take is that we got tired because of the altitude and got complacent because we thought we had it in the bag and they came out like a wounded animal backed into a corner. Which they pretty much were. They came out balls to the wall and caught us flat footed.

I hope our young team treats it like a learning experience and is better prepared next time.

Finally a voice of reason :p.

There was not one factor that caused the loss in Boulder. There was several.

1. Coming out flat and not at least picking up 2-3 first downs to start the second half was a big one. The worst thing to happen to that team was halftime. That gave Colorado time to regroup and NU time to think about how bad they were dominating the game. The were dominating just not on the scoreboard. Seventeen points was not enough of a cushion. A touchdown to go up 24-0 would have probably caused CU to fold up.

2. The constant 3 and outs in the third quarter were wearing out the defense. Even at sea level a defense is going to get tired when they are on the field that much. Add in altitude and it just gets worse. Yes, altitude was a factor, not the only one but it played its part.

3 Colorado was bold, and sometimes victory goes to the bold. Throwing a flea flicker out of your own endzone is a bold move. It not only brought the game closer, but it snatched the momentum in the game. Unless you have played or coached football you will never understand how much momentum plays a part in a game.

4. Self doubt can't be overlooked as playing a part in this loss. Once the game gets a little closer players start to doubt and start to press to make a play instead of letting the play come to them.

5. It was a poorly called second half by Frost offensively.

There's a little effect, but it really doesn't matter. Whether it made no difference or all the difference doesn't change anything or excuse anything and doesn't mean the rest of the season will be easier. Team just needs to play better overall.

I say this as a 20 year resident. Colorado is higher than other states. People say "You must be high," to me all the time. I am. I'm high on life. :Biggrin:

Last edited:

I know you just have to inhale deeper for the same affect

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back