• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Alternate History: What If the Transfer Portal Was as Prevalent In the Past?

MonagHusker

Recruit
5 Year Member
I was thinking about Burrow, Fields, Hurts, etc. and I was wondering how things might have been different had transfers/transfer portal have been as prevalent in the past.

I realize it's a different time, so that I am applying 2019 sensibilities to issues 20+ years ago. Also, I am trying to consider it without TO's influence, but I thought it was interesting to consider.

We didn't seem to have a lot of QB controversies with the top ones -- Gill and Taylor seemingly owned the 80s -- but we did have what appeared to be a log jam in the wake of those two graduating with a lot of seemingly highly touted QBs battling it out in the late 80s early 90s before Frazier came along to claim the throne before blood clots took much a season away. Does a Joseph of Grant consider something different?

Does Brook Berringer take a look in 1995?

We seemingly almost lost one or, but do either Crouch or Newcombe look elsewhere?

It sounded interesting in my head, but the board is the ultimate decider in that!

I have a headache from the nonsense that actually happens in the transfer portal. I don’t want to make things worse by creating make believe nonsense.

Beyond any shadow of a doubt, 100% unequivocally NO!
That's a bit of wishful thinking IMO ... BB was reportedly a potential NFL draft candidate. If that's the case playing somewhere - even if it was a lesser program than NU would have been beneficial to him in the long run!

My initial reaction was the transition years. After Frazier, Crouch, Gill ... left. I seemed to me we did not successfully fill the QB depth chart in large part because no one wanted to sit behind them.

That's a bit of wishful thinking IMO ... BB was reportedly a potential NFL draft candidate. If that's the case playing somewhere - even if it was a lesser program than NU would have been beneficial to him in the long run!
I completely disagree. Nebraska was definitely the school he wanted to play and win at, he wasn't leaving the Huskers for Florida or OSU or any other lesser school. It wouldn't have happened. And since it's hypothetical anyways, I'll stick with my original thought.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back