• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Alabama-LSU produces lowest TV rating for national championship in BCS era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just pointing out that this game we love is far from an amateur status we often pretend it is....and $$ control it and in the end will decide what system is prefered and unless the BCS starts making more it will be history soon....like it or not....

You saying then the NCAA football D 1 should lose it not for profit status?

This - along with Shatel's article in the OWH today - make me wonder about the recent Big Ten/PAC 12 scheduling agreement. If things keep moving along toward a playoff (which I personally don't have a problem with), might we see a conference or two - and their big Bowl Game - break from the NCAA? I mean, ESPN and the SEC basically run college football. With the B1G and PAC 12 television conferences being based on Fox, and basically spanning the country from East Coast to West Coast, I could imagine a scenario where a break from the status quo might make financial and competitive sense for the B1G, PAC 12, the Rose Bowl and Fox.

Just a little something to chew on...

This - along with Shatel's article in the OWH today - make me wonder about the recent Big Ten/PAC 12 scheduling agreement. If things keep moving along toward a playoff (which I personally don't have a problem with), might we see a conference or two - and their big Bowl Game - break from the NCAA? I mean, ESPN and the SEC basically run college football. With the B1G and PAC 12 television conferences being based on Fox, and basically spanning the country from East Coast to West Coast, I could imagine a scenario where a break from the status quo might make financial and competitive sense for the B1G, PAC 12, the Rose Bowl and Fox.

yep and who is going to let that happen

You mentioned Shatel's article, and there was a blurb in there that stood out. Delany is against a playoff, because he feels it'll dillute the Rose Bowl. Well a +1 system would probably enhance the Rose Bowl, because it will guarantee a B1G/Pac-12 matchup every year. That stood out, because all Delany cares about is keeping the Rose Bowl relevant, and if a +1 does just that, then why stand in the way?

But don't you understand that any national championship scenario or +1 can't be more important than the Rose Bowl.

yep and who is going to let that happen

As far as I know, membership in the NCAA is voluntary. If a conference or two decided they wanted to strike out on their own and make their own rules,who's to stop them? It would be a huge gamble, but given the right set of circumstances, there are conferences that have the "juice" to pull it off.

Look - I'm not saying this would ever happen. I'm just saying that it could be argued that the groundwork is being laid by some people that have displayed some impressive prescience in the past...

But don't you understand that any national championship scenario or +1 can't be more important than the Rose Bowl.

I'm sure that was said tongue-in-cheek, but that shipped sailed, when the B1G agreed to be apart of the BCS, and then agreed to a seperate BCS title game. By agreeing to those two things the B1G acknowledged there are games bigger than the Rose Bowl. IMO, I think Delany wants the Rose Bowl to be a private party again, between the B1G/Pac-12 conference champions. No more letting TCU into their fun, and as long as the BCS stays in it's current form, there's no guarantee that'll happen every year. Whereas a +1 would guarantee their traditional matchup.

Last edited:
As far as I know, membership in the NCAA is voluntary. If a conference or two decided they wanted to strike out on their own and make their own rules,who's to stop them? It would be a huge gamble, but given the right set of circumstances, there are conferences that have the "juice" to pull it off.

Look - I'm not saying this would ever happen. I'm just saying that it could be argued that the groundwork is being laid by some people that have displayed some impressive prescience in the past...

You got it...they can go any time they want . They have the most leveage

I'm sure that was said tongue-in-cheek, but that shipped sailed, when the B1G agreed to be apart of the BCS, and then agreed to a seperate BCS title game. By agreeing to those two things the B1G acknowledged there are games bigger than the Rose Bowl. IMO, I think Delany wants the Rose Bowl to be a private party again, between the B1G/Pac-12 conference champions. No more letting TCU into their fun, and as long as the BCS stays in it's current form, there's no guarantee that'll happen every year. Whereas a +1 would guarantee their traditional matchup.

All true - but again, to take it a step further, if the B1G/PAC12 were to go their own way entirely, then the Rose Bowl would go with them as their championship game. Given Delaney's objection to a +1 or any other scenario that would constitute a playoff, it could happen. Just sayin'...

All true - but again, to take it a step further, if the B1G/PAC12 were to go their own way entirely, then the Rose Bowl would go with them as their championship game. Given Delaney's objection to a +1 or any other scenario that would constitute a playoff, it could happen. Just sayin'...

That's a good point. My only question would be the other sports. It'll be hard to sell this idea to all the other coaches, since they wouldn't likely be eligible for their respective NCAA tourney's.

When I first heard on the radio about the low ratings on the NC game this year, they also mentioned that the last NC game that was LOWER than this one was NU-Miami in the Rose Bowl.

When I first heard on the radio about the low ratings on the NC game this year, they also mentioned that the last NC game that was LOWER than this one was NU-Miami in the Rose Bowl.

If I'm not mistaken they said the NU-Miami in the Rose Bowl was the lowest prior to this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back