• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Alabama and Nick Saban hiring away Indiana's S&C team

As many of you know, I was a fan of Turley at Stanford, but he unfortunately got canned so I had to go searching for guys that shared my same beliefs in what football training can look like and how it can impact on the field. I stumbled across two fellas at Indiana that Tom Allen hired in 2018 (when Frost and his staff got here) by the names of Dr Matt Rhea and Dave Ballou. I was a year late to the party seeing how they were incorporating things, but the good news is like i've said on this site before, that year 2 is where you should start seeing the results. Year 1 is so tough for S&C coaches as they have to deal with different training methods that the staff before them did (or didn't do) and correct imbalances, work ethic, and a myriad of other things that could be wrong. I was curious what would happen, because Indiana was 5-7 their first year there, but luckily they were on Nebraska's schedule so I would get to see up close just how they looked.

All of a sudden Indiana in 2019 (just two years into their S&C program) had their first top 25 ranking since 1994, first win in Lincoln since 1959, and bowl eligible before Halloween for the first time since 1993. The game in Lincoln, where the Huskers had the lead at halftime, saw our team get outscored 22-10 in the second half and spark all kinds of debate on HuskerMax. I of course brought up that Indiana only has four 4 stars on their entire team per the 247 composite, while Nebraska had 20. The counter was of course brought up, "well, how many of their guys would you take over ours? Quite a few i'm guessing." No argument from me, it was the point I was trying to make.

So how did that happen? For every recruit that chooses Indiana over Nebraska (Taiwan Mullen), I have about a dozen that chose us over them? Are we just the most unlucky team in the world? What it comes down to is development, and it happened for the Hoosiers in less than 2 years. Nick Saban took notice, and luckily got them out of our conference. It scares me because I feel Alabama will widen the gap, but it makes me happy that we don't have to deal with these guys behind the scenes anymore.

Article here;

*** this is just another passive aggressive thread about not not liking Duval's S&C program. :p

Just proves again how much Saban is a master at maintaining the machine. Most everyone else is playing checkers, if playing anything at all...

Hey *** just a question, do you not like Zach Duval and what hes doin, or what exactly do you wish he would do different? What could he do better? Wasn't he here in the 90's when NU was a machine with the Godfather Boyd Eply and isn't Boyd E still at Nebraska helping along with Dave Ellis, i was so excited when i heard Scott Frost was bringing all these guys back. I mean Nebraskas working on speed drills just like Indiana is or was, i think people on here just really forget how bad it was before Scott got here. Workouts were optional and if a five star or four star athlete didnt feel like working out then he didnt have to, NU and Mike riley were SOFT!!! They quit at the first sign of adversity, yes Scott hasn't beaten Iowa yet but look at the games themselves, mike riley got smashed(Bitchslaped) against iowa, Frosts teams at least are fighting and should of went to Overtime in both games. I at least have hope with Frost here, i had pretty much lost all hope after pelini. Got off track a little but what should Zach and this staff do differently? Im sorry if you already answered these questions in another thread, id just like to know.

Hey *** just a question, do you not like Zach Duval and what hes doin, or what exactly do you wish he would do different? What could he do better? Wasn't he here in the 90's when NU was a machine with the Godfather Boyd Eply and isn't Boyd E still at Nebraska helping along with Dave Ellis, i was so excited when i heard Scott Frost was bringing all these guys back. I mean Nebraskas working on speed drills just like Indiana is or was, i think people on here just really forget how bad it was before Scott got here. Workouts were optional and if a five star or four star athlete didnt feel like working out then he didnt have to, NU and Mike riley were SOFT!!! They quit at the first sign of adversity, yes Scott hasn't beaten Iowa yet but look at the games themselves, mike riley got smashed(Bitchslaped) against iowa, Frosts teams at least are fighting and should of went to Overtime in both games. I at least have hope with Frost here, i had pretty much lost all hope after pelini. Got off track a little but what should Zach and this staff do differently? Im sorry if you already answered these questions in another thread, id just like to know.
We can PM if you would like. There's been a lot of advancements in the area of S/C since the 90s. But Moos, Frost, and Duval are all on the same page. Something we haven't had for over a decade. That's a great thing.

Last edited:
We can PM if you would like. There's been a lot of advancements in the area of S/C since the 90s. But Moos, Frost, and Duval are all on the same page. Something we haven't had for over a decade. That's a great thing.
If the best praise you can give is that "they are on the same page" that isn't great.

I think I know what you mean by it and obviously everyone pushing for the same goal is ideal. But if that goal is garbage all you're doing is getting their faster. Having dissent isn't always bad if people are willing to listen and adjust.

If the best praise you can give is that "they are on the same page" that isn't great.

I think I know what you mean by it and obviously everyone pushing for the same goal is ideal. But if that goal is garbage all you're doing is getting their faster. Having dissent isn't always bad if people are willing to listen and adjust.
Lol they do some good things down there. Our goal isn't garbage, and we get some pretty good results with certain guys.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back