• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ahman Green

I've previously stated my top 4 backs in NU history are:

1- Mike Rozier
2- Ahman Green
3- Lawrence Phillips
4- Ameer Abdullah

After thinking about it, I'm changing one thing:

1- MR
2- AG
3- AA
4- LP

LP's off the field problems have to be taken into consideration, especially since he missed 6 games his Jr year and didn't immediately start when he returned because of it. He essentially played 2.5 years at NU. Comparing that to AA who played 4 years and was a very good returner as well. If we're just talking most talented backs, then LP could be argued as number 1. If we're talking the best, then this is my order. It should be noted, we're splitting hairs and all of these guys are on the Mount Rushmore of RB's at NU IMHO.

Last edited:
I guess you all will have to agree that Abdullah was better than so many other greats that put NU into contests with hardware on the line. I just don't believe he's top 5.

I guess you all will have to agree that Abdullah was better than so many other greats that put NU into contests with hardware on the line. I just don't believe he's top 5.
Of course you don't. Pretty sure you think of him as grate, just not great.

Had a former math teacher and family friend who coached Ahman in basketball at Central High. He used to tell us some funny stories.

Had Rex not been injured AA would have waited another seaon before he became the feature back. I honestly believe he was probably better then Rex but wasn't going to get the feature back unless Rex was injured or gone. That takes nothing away from Rex because both were excellent but AA was certainly a better pure running back IMO.

Both are making it at the next level which says both are excellent running backs.....

Of course you don't. Pretty sure you think of him as grate, just not great.

What is that supposed to mean?

The greats brought home hardware and got us into big games. I don't recall the championship we won with Abdullah. Refresh my memory.

What is that supposed to mean?

The greats brought home hardware and got us into big games. I don't recall the championship we won with Abdullah. Refresh my memory.
Hardware is a team thing, no individual RB ever won any hardware except the Heisman, and even that required lots of team support.

The entire argument with Ameer and Burkhead is much like LP vs Green. You could take it a step further and say both sets of backs had pretty good folks that started ahead of both groups in Calvin Jones over LP and then later LP over Green (beyond injuries, suspension). Then you had a dang good back in Helu over Burkhead and later Burkhead over Ameer (beyond injuries).

Arguing one is truly better than another..........we all have opinions and stats (though stats can be situational, skewed as well by type of carries, use etc.). All in all I can walk away and say I've been fortunate enough to watch in my life:

Rozier, Rathman, K. Jones, C. Jones, D. Brown, LP, Green, Helu, Burkhead and Ameer..............There are many more that were good, but these are the ones that stick with me the most in having something others did not and proved it on the field over and over.

Folks like those above is what makes watching my Huskers so fun.

PS: I will say that watching Fualk at San Diego State back in the day was easily the best RB I've seen along with LP. Oh, and what LP did with our 3rd string QB back against KSU, I'm not sure even TO would disagree, one of the greatest performances ever at NU. Those two in my opinion will be my two favorite runners until someone comes along and changes my opinion.............haven't seen it yet though.

Last edited:

IMO, Mike Rozier is one of the best running backs ever in college football. The guy had it all, and you could always count on him to get whatever was needed (on the gridiron). Truly one of the greatest talents. I would say LP is next on the list as far as NU backs are concerned.

Ahman was very good and he is in my top three. No way he beats Rozier though. Rozier also only played three years. I have never seen anyone that runs like Mike. Mike does not get injured against Miami and we win that one.

He may not be as good of a man as Ahman but IMHO Rozier will always be the greatest.

Rozier Stats
Rushing Receiving
YEAR
ATT YDS AVG LNG TD NO. YDS AVG LNG TD
1980 Attended Coffeyville Junior College
1981 151 943 6.2 93 5 4 64 16.0 32 0
1982 242 1,689 7.0 62 15 6 46 7.7 14 2
1983 275 2,148 7.8 71 29 10 106 10.6 26 0

AG Stats
Rushing Receiving Scrimmage
Year
School Conf Class Pos G Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
Nebraska Big 8 RB 11 141 1086 7.7 13 12 102 8.5 3 153 1188 7.8 16
1996 Nebraska Big 12 RB 10 155 917 5.9 7 9 93 10.3 0 164 1010 6.2 7
1997 Nebraska Big 12 RB 12 278 1877 6.8 22 14 105 7.5 0 292 1982 6.8 22

AG had a 6.8 yard average his senior year, MR had 10.6
Although they had nearly identical carries 275-278 Rozier out rushed him by nearly 300 yards.

stat check...Rozier averaged 10.6 yards per reception
he averaged 7.8 yards per carry. which is still insane!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back