• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Aebleskivers

Red Dead Redemption

Baba Yaga
10 Year Member
Loved 'em as a kid. The only time I recall dad cooking over the stove was when he was making popcorn or aebleskivers. Dad took us to the aebleskiver feed at the Kronborg church almost every year.

Mom gave me a pan about 10 years ago but never used it until last weekend. Couldn't find the recipe, so I browsed the interwebs for some (just found a lemon one!) and am starting to experiment for myself.

Anybody have any good recipes, or even just "normal" ones?

The first recipe i tried they were good, but more rubbery than expected (I think it called for too many eggs). I tried another recipe and they too were tasty, but very thick/dense -- like a cake donut. I needed almost a cup of milk for each one just to wash it down.

Last edited:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love me some aebleskivers!!!!!!!! I'll get some recipes from my Dad shortly...love them!

Have used this:

[h=3]Ingredients[/h]
  • 2 egg whites
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 4 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 1 cup vegetable oil for frying

[h=3]Directions[/h]
  1. In a clean glass or metal bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until they can hold a stiff peak. Set aside.
  2. Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, sugar, egg yolks, melted butter and buttermilk at one time and beat until smooth. Gently fold in the egg whites last.
  3. Put about 1tablespoon of vegetable oil in the bottom of each aebleskiver pan cup and heat until hot. Pour in about 2 tablespoons of the batter into each cup. As soon as they get bubbly around the edge, turn them quickly (Danish cooks use a long knitting needle, but a fork will work). Continue cooking, turning the ball to keep it from burning.

You can double the sugar if you want them to be a little sweeter.

There is a good youtube video from the Sovang restaurant that shows how to cook them by turning them with a knitting needle. I use 2 wood skewers with good results.

3 eggs (separated)-use egg beater.
3 T oil
1 1/2 c. milk
2 T sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour (1/2 whole wheat)
2 tsp. baking powder

Enjoy!

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back