• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Adrian Martinez Leading The B1G In Yards Per Pass Attempt & Second In Total Offense Per Game

I still disagree with the second one, it reminded me of the block on the movie the Blindside. He kept pushing and then gave a last shove right when they blew the whistle, I think it should've been a no-call

That's fair. But it still seemed like we had a hundred false starts.

I'm really optimistic about this season, because we played mistake-riddled football for 60 minutes and managed to barely lose to the #3 team in the nation at their house. If we play at that same level (mistakes included) we should easily win against Purdue and Northwestern.

If we clean up the mistakes, we handily beat Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin and Michigan State. If we play like we played against Oklahoma, we could beat Ohio State and Michigan. There is not a team left on the schedule that we can't hang with - again, assuming we play as well as we did against Oklahoma.

It makes the Illinois loss more perplexing.

I'm really optimistic about this season, because we played mistake-riddled football for 60 minutes and managed to barely lose to the #3 team in the nation at their house. If we play at that same level (mistakes included) we should easily win against Purdue and Northwestern.

If we clean up the mistakes, we handily beat Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin and Michigan State. If we play like we played against Oklahoma, we could beat Ohio State and Michigan. There is not a team left on the schedule that we can't hang with - again, assuming we play as well as we did against Oklahoma.

It's like the Illinois loss sparked some kind of fire that completely changed our team. My optimism is a bit far-fetched if you will but I will explain. If we play like we did on Saturday, minus a couple of false starts, we blow out Northwestern, Minny, and Purdue, we likely beat Sparty and possibly Wisconsin, and then those mistakes might be too much against Michigan, Ohio State, and Iowa. Remember, Iowa is No. 5 in the country, their defense is INCREDIBLE. Now, onto why I'm optimistic. We blow out Fordham and make MINIMAL mistakes. People can say "oh it's an FCS opponent" all they want, at the end of the day, we didn't commit any stupid penalties and didn't turn the ball over. We beat Buffalo essentially 42-3 after the penalties were reviewed and confirmed not penalties, but for now we'll say 28-3. They had won 11 of 12 games, so regardless of MAC or not, they know how to win. We had the first hundred yard rusher in several seasons against them (that they had allowed), and we completely shut down their offense, which was 2nd in the country in rushing a season ago. Buffalo played #15 Coastal Carolina on Saturday and barely squeaked out a 3-point win. That game gave me a good deal of optimism, and now that we just stood toe-to-toe with the nations most talented offensive team, it just adds fuel to the fire. If the OL gels even a little bit more, this team can easily still win 6-7 games

Been saying this from whats been seen since the Buffalo game.
Partways into that game the O line started to come together and we'd be a tough out for any team.
Okie just solidified it for some.

Still a young line, yet a talented and right fit line

It's like the Illinois loss sparked some kind of fire that completely changed our team. My optimism is a bit far-fetched if you will but I will explain. If we play like we did on Saturday, minus a couple of false starts, we blow out Northwestern, Minny, and Purdue, we likely beat Sparty and possibly Wisconsin, and then those mistakes might be too much against Michigan, Ohio State, and Iowa. Remember, Iowa is No. 5 in the country, their defense is INCREDIBLE. Now, onto why I'm optimistic. We blow out Fordham and make MINIMAL mistakes. People can say "oh it's an FCS opponent" all they want, at the end of the day, we didn't commit any stupid penalties and didn't turn the ball over. We beat Buffalo essentially 42-3 after the penalties were reviewed and confirmed not penalties, but for now we'll say 28-3. They had won 11 of 12 games, so regardless of MAC or not, they know how to win. We had the first hundred yard rusher in several seasons against them (that they had allowed), and we completely shut down their offense, which was 2nd in the country in rushing a season ago. Buffalo played #15 Coastal Carolina on Saturday and barely squeaked out a 3-point win. That game gave me a good deal of optimism, and now that we just stood toe-to-toe with the nations most talented offensive team, it just adds fuel to the fire. If the OL gels even a little bit more, this team can easily still win 6-7 games
Two things that cost Illinois more than us.
One, they changed the D schemes leaving growth in their learning of their base D for later, costly, and two losing their starting qb for a few games.
Beliema threw everything at us, with our young/inexperienced in real games in this offense.
It made us look worse than we are and as said, cost Illinois down the road.

Two things that cost Illinois more than us.
One, they changed the D schemes leaving growth in their learning of their base D for later, costly, and two losing their starting qb for a few games.
Beliema threw everything at us, with our young/inexperienced in real games in this offense.
It made us look worse than we are and as said, cost Illinois down the road.
Yep, and the fans blaming Frost when he said that they came out in a different front, they don't understand the difficulty of that. To start the season with a new coach in a new front will work very well, just because the offensive play calls are no longer going to be from the week's gameplan. After you come out in some funky front like that, other teams will adjust, and it will no longer be successful. I wish they were our second game of the season, because if we play them again 10 times, we win all 10.

Yep, and the fans blaming Frost when he said that they came out in a different front, they don't understand the difficulty of that. To start the season with a new coach in a new front will work very well, just because the offensive play calls are no longer going to be from the week's gameplan. After you come out in some funky front like that, other teams will adjust, and it will no longer be successful. I wish they were our second game of the season, because if we play them again 10 times, we win all 10.
Beliema needed to show the faithful. He did, but now theyre back to being Illinois again.
Sputtering O with backup qb and new scheme D with no experience while giving up 37 and 42 to UTSA and Virginia respectively got them behind the curve in a bad way.
We should have won anyways

AMart had a good game. But OU just showed the B1G how to beat NU. Put a spy on Martinez and don’t let him beat you with his legs. Huskers have no running game to worry about except AM scrambling.

Last edited:
Beliema needed to show the faithful. He did, but now theyre back to being Illinois again.
Sputtering O with backup qb and new scheme D with no experience while giving up 37 and 42 to UTSA and Virginia respectively got them behind the curve in a bad way.
We should have won anyways

This is probably an apt observation. Usually, coaches do not open wide the entire playbook on Game 1. You've got to leave some wrinkles for the middle and end of the season when you're in a pinch.

I'm not saying Bielema deployed their entire playbook because I don't know what their playbook is. But I feel like they pulled out a lot of stops to beat Nebraska and get a signature win to open a new coach's tenure. They may have revealed too much and will get clobbered by the rest of the Big Ten.

AMart had a good game. But OU just showed the B1G how to beat NU. Put a spy on Martinez and don’t let him beat you with his legs. Huskers have no running game to worry about except AM scrambling.
Most spies won’t be near as athletic as OUs guy, and that leaves guys open downfield. I’d love for other teams to spy him

Most spies won’t be near as athletic as OUs guy, and that leaves guys open downfield. I’d love for other teams to spy

I’d welcome that and I think so would Frost.

You’ll see more open TE’s and receivers and few teams have a guy as fast as OU’s.

Man haters gonna hate. Martinez is by far our best player hands down. With the way he’s been playing he gives us a chance to win every game. Now if the O-line can get it together and the backs learn to hit a hole and go watch out. I think Omar Manning needs to play more man. Get him the ball.
Spot on bronco Martinez does look very good and we all hope the old-line gets together and yes you were again right Manning needs to play all the time

Last edited:

Since the Illinois game he is playing at an All Big Ten level.

Let's not forget his critical momentum changing "scoop and score fumble" for Illinois just before half time.

AM has been Jeykl and Hyde through out his career in Lincoln:
-Most dynamic playmaker, especially this year that DONU has, similar to the Jamal Lord years.
-46 turnovers, at the top of FBS over the last 3+ years in the FBS, which makes it exceedingly hard to be a winning teams despite his playmaking skills.

Right now he should be leading the voting for All Big Ten QB, but the Ohio State Qb will likely get it since he is on a likely championship team. :(
Agreed. He is playing at all Big Ten level right now for last three games.

I'm sure he wishes he had the Illinois game back. So far off what he did in other games, don't know why. Just 50% completion percentage. The grossly missed pass to Liewer in end zone, the grossly missed pass to Hickman that would have gone big right before half AND the play before the strip and score. Almost like a different guy in that game versus 76% against OU, 68% Buff and 74% Fordham. :confused:

If we look at just this year he really only has 2 turnovers in 4 games and only 1 was a bad turnover. It was the killer strip and score against Illinois. The 4th and 17 at OU was a "got nothing to lose pass" (though if he threw deeper i think Toure had a better chance at it). I take three in a row as a trend that if continued will bear good things.

Win out and Adrian will be on a championship team as well. Not likely, but anything is possible! Signed the Optimust. :cool:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back