• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Adrian Martinez Explains Struggles and Mentality

This is informative and explains a lot about why he struggled last year. Those two injuries (leg, which limits your mobility and shoulder, which affects your passing) really limits your ability to play at a high level. Couple of observations from listening to Adrian: 1. My respect for him has increased. I'm now a bigger fan. 2. I like what he says about our coaching staff. Kudos to them. We have the right people coaching. 3. Luke McCaffrey better be ready to play. As much as I hope AM stays healthy, his body seems to be prone to injury.

This is informative and explains a lot about why he struggled last year. Those two injuries (leg, which limits your mobility and shoulder, which affects your passing) really limits your ability to play at a high level. Couple of observations from listening to Adrian: 1. My respect for him has increased. I'm now a bigger fan. 2. I like what he says about our coaching staff. Kudos to them. We have the right people coaching. 3. Luke McCaffrey better be ready to play. As much as I hope AM stays healthy, his body seems to be prone to injury.

I also thought it was a good look in to what he has experienced. It was more authentic/less formal than most interviews and gave some insight in to the pressure and expectations the kids feel. I gained a higher level of respect for AM. He's a high character kid.

Not good to depend on players who cannot perform at their optimal peak. If AM was hurt, playing him hurt the team and game outcome. That is on Frost and the rest of the coaches.
Ummm... I feel like we've been over this before. The coaches wouldn't have been playing him hurt if they had a choice. We haven't had the luxury of depth the last 2 years (actually much longer than that) to be able to have 11 "top" guys on the field at once. It's been more a case of, let's get the least injured / lowest liability guys out there. HCSF is finally getting some depth in most positions in year 3.

Ummm... I feel like we've been over this before. The coaches wouldn't have been playing him hurt if they had a choice. We haven't had the luxury of depth the last 2 years (actually much longer than that) to be able to have 11 "top" guys on the field at once. It's been more a case of, let's get the least injured / lowest liability guys out there. HCSF is finally getting some depth in most positions in year 3.
That is the biggest takeaway from the interview that I get as well. As mature and level headed as AM is in the interview it still highlights how important it is to have depth at positions so the new guys have to fight to move up the roster. The standard in the good ole days was if you were good enough to earn the right to play for Nebraska you were good enough to play anywhere. The Purdue example reinforces the problem. Two guys come in, one guy is drafted after a year and the other takes 4 years to develop.

Not good to depend on players who cannot perform at their optimal peak. If AM was hurt, playing him hurt the team and game outcome. That is on Frost and the rest of the coaches.

If you actually played sports, especially at a higher level, then you should know you almost never play at your optimal peak the majority of your schedule. Matt Turman was healthier than both Tommie and Brook, so is it on Ozzy and the staff for playing those guys? You’ve sung this song long enough, let’s let it go.

Last edited:
We may have lacked depth in some places (like OLB), but our QB room was one of the deepest in the conference. The QB depth is actually worse in 2020 than it was in 2019.

It actually is refreshing to hear him say he was hurt.

Last edited:
I am not sure what is going to happen in regards to this FB season but I am glad he has a redshirt available. If they end up cancelling the season, I would hope they would "freeze" everyone's grade but that would be a logistical nightmare. Where his redshirt would do wonders for him. I am really impressed with his attitude and his perspective on things. I was always impressed with him and respected him, as both a player and a person, but my respect for him has gone even higher!!

We may have lacked depth in some places (like OLB), but our QB room was one of the deepest in the conference.

I know we started out deep at QB in August. By MN week it seemed like the top 3 all had issues of some fashion.

We may have lacked depth in some places (like OLB), but our QB room was one of the deepest in the conference. The QB depth is actually worse in 2020 than it was in 2019.

Depth isn't just about the numbers, but about the health, talent or experience. We had plenty of numbers, but Bunch and Masker were walk-ons, and even though one had starting experience, he didn't appear to possess the talent needed to be a viable option outside of an emergency situation. Masker wasn't even really that last year. Luke was a freshman, and while he had some physical abilities, he certainly wasn't to the point of taking the pounding of a B1G schedule, and that showed. We can debate if he had the playbook understanding needed to be the starter, but it's likely he wouldn't have been able to master the entire playbook even if he'd been put in that position. Vedral was our wildcard. I really had faith he was going to be a really solid backup, and in some ways, he was. But it appears he has some limitations on throwing the ball. I don't think he's a poor thrower, but I don't see him as a strong passer who can make all the throws. This is the 2019 depth, which absolutely has numbers, but even a couple of injuries can put us in the weeds.

To you point, 2020, just doesn't have those kind of numbers. But I do think having a Luke with a year of learning AND getting stronger is big. Adding a freshman who is a little bigger than our last top freshman recruit, is a plus. Logan also has much more QB experience than Luke had as a freshman, so that's a bit of an upgrade. We lose Vedral, which is really a blow because of his understanding of the offense, but I'm not certain he'd be #2, or even #3 as the season progressed, so it hurts, but how much? I was interested to hear how Masker did in spring, but as we know, life didn't cooperate. He would seem a better athlete than Bunch, but he obviously doesn't have any experience to show that one way, or the other.

So I agree we are less deep, but if we are just looking at it strictly from a talent level, I'd say we are pretty close to even, probably better in the top 3...we just don't have quite the numbers.

Last edited:

Probably true, but looking at Martinez's performance against South Alabama, we had options. When you look at it on paper, what's going to happen if Martinez has the same issues? We have way less options in 2020.
I guess, but obviously the coaches thought AM was the best option even hurt. I don’t think they thought LM was ready and they must not have thought a healthy Vedral was better than a hurt AM

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back