• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Adrian in a sling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe, but what games would you have pulled Martinez out of early and inserted either Vedral or McCaffery into?
Look at the games from a logic stand point and tell me where Martinez should have been benched for someone else in a game.

S. Alabama? We won the game.
Colorado? Did we lose because Martinez was completely ineffective? More to do with a defensive melt down in the second half than anything, and a lack of a kicker.
N. Illinois? Won the game.
Illinois? I think he led the comeback in that game.
Ohio St? You could have pulled him and put in either of the other 2 QB's. We weren't winning that game.
Northwestern? We won the game and he got hurt. Vedral played the whole 4th quarter.
Minnesota? Martinez hurt Vedral started. I guess they could have brought in McCaffery to spark the team. This was probably the worst the team played in any game all year.
Indiana? Martinez hurt didn't play. Both Vedral and McCaffery play, and actually play pretty well. Both get dinged up in the game.
Purdue? This game I would have benched him in the first half. He played terrible. He did play a lot better in the second half of the game. At the PC after the game Frost said neither Vedral or McCaffery were available.
Wisconsin? Not a great day throwing the ball but not terrible for Martinez 13-23 for 220. He did have 1 bad interception. I don't think Vedral was available.
Maryland? Martinez and McCaffery played in the game. They won 54-7.
Iowa? All three played. McCaffery came in and threw 1 TD pass it was nice.

I will gladly agree with you that Martinez did not play nearly as well this year as the year before. I think there are probably a lot of reasons. I am not sure that bringing in Vedral or McCaffery at some point in any of the losses was going to spark the team to victory. Maybe the Iowa game?

I hope their is true competition for the starting QB job, but I think a healthy Martinez probably comes out on top.

I do hope one thing though. I hope they use McCaffery next year and just don't have him as the backup. He is too talented of a football player to sit and not get into games Use him as receiver some. Use him as a wildcat QB some. Get him in the game. Kinda like Penn St did with their back up behind McSorley for a couple of years. They need to use all of their assets.
Great "rant". :thumbsup:
Agree completely.

I admit...pure conjecture on my part.

There will absolutely be a QB competition.

But it will be after Adrian has graduated.

Playing an obviously distressed QB with healthy, and what I believe very capable options sitting on the bench has formed that opinion of mine going forward.

I admit...pure conjecture on my part.

There will absolutely be a QB competition.

But it will be after Adrian has graduated.

Playing an obviously distressed QB with healthy, and what I believe very capable options sitting on the bench has formed that opinion of mine going forward.
Scott is more worried about who is going to step up at WR next year than who will play QB.

Spot on. LM wasn't planning on being QB in 2020, when he signed he thought his earliest chance would be 2021. We aren't losing him any time soon. He's happy to be learning from a Freshman All-American.

Agree - if he wanted to play early and often, he wouldn't have come here to play QB. He wants to learn to play QB and, IMO, is willing to take his time and develop his talent and skills

Not really shocking. I was critical of AM, but it was very clear he was hurt and maybe hurt in different ways. I thought he'd have a shoulder and/or knee cleanup after the year. Hopefully healthy and back by spring. Depth should be better next year also with both NV and LM here for another year

I hope their is true competition for the starting QB job, but I think a healthy Martinez probably comes out on top.
I hope more than physical health is a consideration. Maybe someones asking it, but I have not seen. If AM was hurt, what would the foul have been by sitting him and playing another non hurt player? Was there no concern with hurting him further? AM's decision making was either a product of the injury or worse, it was independent of it. If AM is the chosen one, then his status was surely assured him upon recovery. I cannot accept that a hurt/struggling Martinez was always the better answer come Saturdays. I would love to hear feedback on these questions. The only two I come up with are the effort to retain a RS for LM. Or AM feelings were to fragile to do otherwise. I hope better answers existed.

Last edited:
Maybe, but what games would you have pulled Martinez out of early and inserted either Vedral or McCaffery into?
Look at the games from a logic stand point and tell me where Martinez should have been benched for someone else in a game.

S. Alabama? We won the game.
Colorado? Did we lose because Martinez was completely ineffective? More to do with a defensive melt down in the second half than anything, and a lack of a kicker.
N. Illinois? Won the game.
Illinois? I think he led the comeback in that game.
Ohio St? You could have pulled him and put in either of the other 2 QB's. We weren't winning that game.
Northwestern? We won the game and he got hurt. Vedral played the whole 4th quarter.
Minnesota? Martinez hurt Vedral started. I guess they could have brought in McCaffery to spark the team. This was probably the worst the team played in any game all year.
Indiana? Martinez hurt didn't play. Both Vedral and McCaffery play, and actually play pretty well. Both get dinged up in the game.
Purdue? This game I would have benched him in the first half. He played terrible. He did play a lot better in the second half of the game. At the PC after the game Frost said neither Vedral or McCaffery were available.
Wisconsin? Not a great day throwing the ball but not terrible for Martinez 13-23 for 220. He did have 1 bad interception. I don't think Vedral was available.
Maryland? Martinez and McCaffery played in the game. They won 54-7.
Iowa? All three played. McCaffery came in and threw 1 TD pass it was nice.

I will gladly agree with you that Martinez did not play nearly as well this year as the year before. I think there are probably a lot of reasons. I am not sure that bringing in Vedral or McCaffery at some point in any of the losses was going to spark the team to victory. Maybe the Iowa game?

I do hope one thing though. I hope they use McCaffery next year and just don't have him as the backup. He is too talented of a football player to sit and not get into games Use him as receiver some. Use him as a wildcat QB some. Get him in the game. Kinda like Penn St did with their back up behind McSorley for a couple of years. They need to use all of their assets.

Just want to highlight this comment. I wished they'd given Vedral some more snaps early in the year, but it's hard to think of quality options for Frost once Vedral and McCaffrey got hurt in the Indiana game.

Scott is more worried about who is going to step up at WR next year than who will play QB.
Time to get both McCaffrey and Vedral ready to go at WR!

You know what I liked about 2AM this year? He figured out the speed option (wing option). At the end of the year, he looked very tough and decisive planting his foot and either pitching or going upfield. That's going to make him that much better next year. If each of the QB's can learn something from the others (suspect Vedral is the best traditional option QB short of Frost) UNL will be fine next year at that spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back