• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Adrian in a sling

Status
Not open for further replies.
They made some adjustments this past spring, they are always tweaking things. But until they change some of their fundamental things it may be tough. Martinez needs to work a little harder in there, but again, I don't know if he was hurt all spring and summer. So that's not all on Duval.

I just can't wrap my head around them having "zero injuries year 2" in Orlando, and then us having injuries everywhere. One of the reasons we are really struggling with depth at certain spots is due to all the injuries we have. If Cam Jones and CJ Smith both wouldn't have had season ending knee and shoulder surgery as freshmen, the Deontai Williams injury probably wouldn't have hurt us as much.

If Frost and Duval wouldn't have proved they could do it in Orlando I would really be protesting for a change right now. We look unathletic, slow, and hurt out there compared to other teams. But I think we are still just learning the team and what makes them tick.
If you’re constantly hurt, as you somewhat suggest, how can you be effective as the starting QB? You can’t run as fast, move as well, cut, throw or any number of things. He isn’t asked to be a statue QB, he is asked to do some stuff. Can’t do that if you are injured.

He had a ‘bad’ year in 2019, but his ceiling is higher than McCaffrey’s in this offense, IMO.

He can’t keep doing what he did this year or his ceiling is irrelevant. I do think MCaffrey can make this team a winner, but with limitations. 8-5 is still greater than 4-8 though.
What limitations does he have, other than being too skinny? Don’t say durability, because the starter is seemingly always hurt. If Martinez has a high ceiling, he needs to start showing it. I’m not seeing it. He looks slow running it, and isn’t effective really throwing it either. Plus he is a turnover machine. Those things get your ass beat. I reckon we’ll have to see if he can make a huge jump in 2020, because imo, it needs to be a massive jump. He isn’t even as good as his “brother” Taylor was.

Last edited:
Through 4 games leading up to the Ohio State game, Martinez was completing over 61% of his passes, was averaging 263 passing yards per game, and had thrown 7 TDs and 2 INTs. He had also run for 234 yards and 3 TDs. He was coming off an 18 carry, 118 yard rushing performance against Illinois, a game in which he also threw for 327 yards and 3 TDs.

That's pretty good.

His performance against Ohio State was abysmal... as was the case for the entire team. He came back to complete 65% of his passes in a win against Northwestern the following week, but got hurt late in the game. From there, his production dipped. He only threw 3 TDs and had 4 INTs the final 4 games of the season (though he rushed for 4 more TDs).

Keep in mind that JD Spielman was also battling some injuries the final part of the season, we lost Maurice Washington, and Wan'Dale Robinson was banged up. Not having those players, and not having anyone capable of replacing Stanley Morgan's production, certainly contributed to Martinez's struggles. He also threw nearly 100 fewer passes in 2019 than he did in 2018, so his opportunities were much more limited (31.5 attempts/game in 2018, 25.1 attempts/game in 2019).

There's no doubt that Martinez could have played better, but he wasn't a disaster considering his injuries and lack of consistent playmakers around him. I think we all just expected (hoped?) a huge leap forward, and instead we got a step backwards.

If you’re constantly hurt, as you somewhat suggest, how can you be effective as the starting QB? You can’t run as fast, move as well, cut, throw or any number of things. He isn’t asked to be a statue QB, he is asked to do some stuff. Can’t do that if you are injured.
You can't do it as well as you'd like, but you still may be able to do it better than the other available options.

You can't do it as well as you'd like, but you still may be able to do it better than the other available options.
That is true, id agree, but in this offense, he isn’t asked to stand in the pocket like Tom Brady and pick you apart. He is asked to do many things. When you are hurt, it’s hard to be effective. Plus, as we saw, NU has a very serviceable option in the wings. Use him. They gave away a few games this year. Just gave them away. That has to stop.

Through 4 games leading up to the Ohio State game, Martinez was completing over 61% of his passes, was averaging 263 passing yards per game, and had thrown 7 TDs and 2 INTs. He had also run for 234 yards and 3 TDs. He was coming off an 18 carry, 118 yard rushing performance against Illinois, a game in which he also threw for 327 yards and 3 TDs.

That's pretty good.

His performance against Ohio State was abysmal... as was the case for the entire team. He came back to complete 65% of his passes in a win against Northwestern the following week, but got hurt late in the game. From there, his production dipped. He only threw 3 TDs and had 4 INTs the final 4 games of the season (though he rushed for 4 more TDs).

Keep in mind that JD Spielman was also battling some injuries the final part of the season, we lost Maurice Washington, and Wan'Dale Robinson was banged up. Not having those players, and not having anyone capable of replacing Stanley Morgan's production, certainly contributed to Martinez's struggles. He also threw nearly 100 fewer passes in 2019 than he did in 2018, so his opportunities were much more limited (31.5 attempts/game in 2018, 25.1 attempts/game in 2019).

There's no doubt that Martinez could have played better, but he wasn't a disaster considering his injuries and lack of consistent playmakers around him. I think we all just expected (hoped?) a huge leap forward, and instead we got a step backwards.
I get what you are saying, and it rings true. Still to me, it was the plays he didn't make that were right there. This offensive scheme is good, but the QB has to make plays and, again to me, he just missed a lot of opportunities, even when the stats looked good, and it cost us.

What limitations does he have, other than being too skinny? Don’t say durability, because the starter is seemingly always hurt. If Martinez has a high ceiling, he needs to start showing it. I’m not seeing it. He looks slow running it, and isn’t effective really throwing it either. Plus he is a turnover machine. Those things get your ass beat. I reckon we’ll have to see if he can make a huge jump in 2020, because imo, it needs to be a massive jump. He isn’t even as good as his “brother” Taylor was.

If you’ve watched any of his film, he’s limited from a passing standpoint. That throw against Iowa was awesome, but that’s the outlier. His durability should be an issue for you because if he’s the starter, he’s going to keep the ball on RPO’s....a lot. That could be good at times and could be bad. Martinez issue running the ball this year looked like indecisiveness to me. As a freshman he’d take off. In 2019, he didn’t have that burst. Don’t disagree that Martinez isn’t as durable as it seems he would be for his size. As to his ceiling, you have to admit when he’s on, it’s damned impressive. Not arguing will ball security either. He was poor with that as a sophomore and it needs to improve.

Off Martinez is as good or slightly better than he was as a freshman, he’s your guy. If next Spring or Fall he looks like this year, then let’s have a look at McCaffrey.

I think he proved he could do that in 2018 (my opinion). But I would say it would take a miracle for Vedral or McCaffrey to unseat him for 2020. I can promise you the narrative all spring, summer, and fall camp will be how much better Martinez looks now that he is recovered from his knee and shoulder injury. Feel free to bookmark this post.

Bookmarked and not that I think you are wrong. The spin will be in full go until the games start.

C

I think he proved he could do that in 2018 (my opinion). But I would say it would take a miracle for Vedral or McCaffrey to unseat him for 2020. I can promise you the narrative all spring, summer, and fall camp will be how much better Martinez looks now that he is recovered from his knee and shoulder injury. Feel free to bookmark this post.

I believe *** is EXACTLY correct.

Being tight lipped with the injury is cool, but what is there to benefit from it by telling us at the end of the season other than using it as a scapegoat. Especially when the kid didn't seem to be bothered by said injury at certain parts of the season, at least not enough to use it as a "reason" for the struggle. (Referring to Zac Lee's season issues in 09).

I'm all for keeping information to the public on a need to know basis, but why is it important for us to know after the losing season has concluded, but not during the season when we are trying to figure out why our team is struggling with things they shouldn't be.

I have no idea. I don't think it really is, unless NU fans feel entitled enough that they expect to know all things about the program.

I think 2AM's decision making was questioned (albeit to a lesser degree) but he was given a pass because he was a true freshman who hadn't played his Sr. in High School. But he did throw into double coverage, he didn't see wide open receivers, etc. The only new knock on him this year was his hesitation in taking off and running. He was criticized more this year because he was supposed to be better having had a year in the system. (Plus, how many times did we hear Frost say that once he told 2AM something the kid knew it.)
Coaches are possibly limiting how fluid he plays? That doesn't say much for the staff. Shouldn't coaches be able to add more to build on top of what a kid has already learned?
I don't know, but I'll bet neither Vedral or McCaffrey would have run out of bounds and stopped the clock vs. Iowa. That's not due to injury or limited fluidity. It's lack of situational awareness and you can only coach that up to a certain extent.

Yes, MM didn't seem to have any issues with being coached up by this staff. I doubt very much they forgot how to coach in 2 years, but they are coaching different players, so the results may not always be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back