• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Adjusting to the Big Ten: Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
Looks like Pelini is making a shift to account for the Big Ten style of play. In the 2012 and 2013 classes, we've signed 4 linebackers who are in the Top 30 or so nationally. All seven of the LB recruits (12-13) are in the Top 50 for their position or they're a juco transfer.

It's nice to see that NU has been pursuing more of the "bruiser" style linebacker in addition to the "speed" style LB (see: LaVonte David). With the prevalence of spread-style passing offenses in the Big 12, we could afford undersized LBs in tandem with shutdown corners and safeties. But the Big Ten will require at least one or two bruisers in the middle to be a field general and provide second-level run support.

It's nice to see that Pelini is rapidly making the adjustments to have a Big Ten style of defense. I fully expect to see contributions from Zaire Anderson (JUCO) and possibly Michael Rose (FR) in the fall.

http://www.huskermax.com/recruits/

Not disagreeing with any Recruiting approach...I trust the coaches...

but...

There's allot more "spread" in the B1G than people may think. I guess if their Big AND fast...who cares. ;)

Ohio State: Urban will spread it.
Illinois: Multiple spread
Indiana: Multiple spread
Michigan: Spread option...but will prob lean towards pro style after Shoelace leaves...
Northwestern: Multiple spread
Penn State: Multiple spread...but not sure where new coach will go with it.
Purdue: Shotgun spread
Nebraska: Multiple Spread

but...

There's allot more "spread" in the B1G than people may think. I guess if their Big AND fast...who cares. ;)

Michigan: Spread option...but will prob lean towards pro style after Shoelace leaves...

Agree...while it's not exactly the Big 12, Big 10 offenses are a little more diverse than they've been in the past. I don't think NU should diverge too far from the philosophy they had in 2009/2010. I don't think any offense was going cause those defenses a lot of trouble. Granted, a Suh doesn't come along every other year but I don't think you have to go back to NU defense circa 1980s with big, plodding "run stopping" linebackers either.

"Spread" doesn't always mean pass-first. Oregon runs a very successful ground game out of the spread. Same for Michigan.

But take a look at this list of names: Todd Reesing, Colt McCoy, Landry Jones, Graham Harrell, Brandon Weeden, Sam Bradford, and Ryan Tannehill - just for starters.

The Big 12 was overflowing with gunslinger quarterbacks. Guys who could pick a squirrel off a fence at 45 yards. I'm not suggesting that the Big Ten has weaker passers by any means, but the Big 12 was very clearly a pass-happy conference. Did everybody forget the Mike Leach magic at Texas Tech that could hang 500 passing yards on a defense?

Certainly the Big Ten quarterbacks are excellent. To quote Dan Hawkins, "it's DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL!" But I'd wager that the Big Ten offenses are more balanced than the Big 12 was. If I had to pick numbers, I'd say the Big Ten is probably 45% pass while the Big 12 was probably 65% pass.

but...

We had just as much trouble stopping the spread as we did the power teams. If we were in the Big 12 last year we woulda got our lunch ate.

As said there is that element of the BIG that has the spreads and advanced passing schemes. Yet you have to beat Wisconsin Ohio State and Michigan to win the conference. That takes that big Mike backer to deal with the rush. It's good to have the versatility and to change up when it's to your advantage. The thing about recruiting that has been missing since Bo came back is the balance. That is not recruiting just to fill gaps. One year we needed running backs because we were short. Then it was offensive linemen because we had another gap. Then it was linebackers because we didn't have the numbers.

Once you create those gaps you rush to fill them by overloading a position and thus creating another gap down the road. Callahan drop the number of players on the roster and overloaded the offense. He stole players from the defense to add depth to his WCO. He never understood the walkon importance. The defense suffered. Bo has had to fill gaps since. Now the walkon program is back in operation and that was always a way of stopping the bleeding and the program is now catching up again. Eventually we have a balance and the gaps and holes disappear. Those gaps were one of the problems what has slowed down the process of development. Soon to be back up to speed, the process will now quicken and thus our relevancy becomes a constant.

It's always good to have numbers and versatility. To have the option to change your spots at ones convenience. I think one year away from having the assembly line at full production. This was Bo's first time head coaching gig and he has learned on the job. It's all good and he was young enough to absorb how it all fits together. It shouldn't be very long when he takes it further with his own ideas. Keep what works and be fluid and adjust his game. With Marrow taking snaps in practice Bo can test out the bigger backers and DE's in real time. Throw in Abdullah and he can test the edges for pursuit. Nebraska works best when they have numbers and versatility.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back